I was at Walmart today and spotted this rifle:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Savage-Arm...8-Win/29029182

It was priced at $499 without the base. I was just thinking about piecing together a stevens action 308 for long range shooting out to 1000yrds. The only drawbacks I noted when handling it was the cheap plastic molded stock which didn't have the vertical grip like I'd want and the mag assembly felt cheap and plasticky when removing and replacing. Positives for me were the 24" heavy barrel, accutrigger, beavertail forend, price, lack of cheesy side-button mag release, and matte black finish. I didn't mind the lack of base because I'd like to put a base with built-in MOA.

I am about to abandon my idea of trying to build my own and just pick this one up because it is so much cheaper than the build would cost. I would plan on eventually swapping out the stock with a tacticool or save up for a B&C.

Does anyone have any experience with this one? What kind of groups do you think I could expect with that rifle as-is? My main concern is that the barrel is "just for looks" and wouldn't result in the accuracy a 24" bull barrel should.

Thanks for your input!