Thread: Problem with gun safe and the solution.

Problem with gun safe and the solution.

Having driven 1,600 miles to my winter home I was loading my rifles into the safe and was alarmed by the fact that--I still had room for more! : ) So I am now the proud owner of a new 111 Hunter in 300 win mag. I figure I'll eventually build it up into something. Anyone have any experience with this gun on their builds/modifications?
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

stangfish
    Hey, It is a long action and it is a Savage. It's been done. What do you have in mind?

Basic Member
    Nice! I love the 300wm

I'd like to make a long range hunter with bench use, though I'n not looking to make a match gun (though I'd settle for shoots as well as one : ) )--my biggest problem being I don't even have access to a range where I can shoot over 250 at the moment. It's gonna need work--it--doesn't strike me as being much more than an Axis in terms of stock/trigger. I was a tad concerned about the 24 as opposed to 26 inch barrel and what implications this might have on velocity/accuracy at longer ranges. The salesman--who also reloads--told me it's a question of matching slower to faster powders depending on barrel length. Is this true? This sounds obvious--but I don't recall reading that anywhere.

JCalhoun
    At the distances you'll be shooting that two inches won't make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    At the distances you'll be shooting that two inches won't make any difference.
    That's true--for now--but I WILL eventually find some place to shoot between 500 to 1000 yds. : ) I won't be lugging this to Africa for BIG game, so I'm not too concerned about a loss of a bit if velocity/impact but still want accuracy. Might like to use it as a big-field deer dropper one day once I figure out everything.

sbarcewski
    I started a .300 build on a Stevens 200 not to long ago.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...7818-Here-I-Go

A lot of your concerns/questions I have been asking myself. Good luck.

Your receiver/action is identical to that on my 111 hunter.

Cycler
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    The salesman--who also reloads--told me it's a question of matching slower to faster powders depending on barrel length. Is this true? This sounds obvious--but I don't recall reading that anywhere.
    No, it's not true. Powders that give the highest muzzle velocity in a 26" barrel also give the highest velocity in a 24" barrel. The 24" will sacrifice a bit of velocity but changing the powder type or charge won't help.

Faster or slower powders are chosen based on bore diameter, case capacity and, pressure limitations of the action.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    No, it's not true. Powders that give the highest muzzle velocity in a 26" barrel also give the highest velocity in a 24" barrel. The 24" will sacrifice a bit of velocity but changing the powder type or charge won't help.

Faster or slower powders are chosen based on bore diameter, case capacity and, pressure limitations of the action.
    thanx cycler. It didn't sound right and my feeling was that some velocity was being sacrificed (all other things being equal) with the shorter barrel. I also wonder about the "notorious" short neck and gripping the bullet seated deep into the case. I know it's a proven match-winner, but I've read someplace that you may have to grip on the ogive of a bullet if it's especially long.
    Last edited by thermaler; 09-20-2013 at 08:06 PM.