I promise to ask them one at a time. First through just surfing the site I'd like to say I am impressed with all the knowledge that seems to be amassed here.

Iv'e shot some competition looking for a nitch, HP XTC wore me out but had a lot of fun. Got involved in mid range events (600 yd) with a sling / prone and had a lot of fun I'm just not an AR enthusiast. I have a White Oak that has served me well (better than I could serve it).

With all the calibers to pick from I'm still pretty o.k. for now with the .223 Rem and dont need to invest to support it.

"switch barrel" guns seem to provide tremendous flexibility when deciding to explore new calipers.

I'm new to Savage and everything tells me Rem., Ruger, etc will have their hands full providing the flexibility that Savage offers. Another reason for a change in gun is I think its time to get into optic though the White Oak sites are super (understatement) I want to go to a bolt gun and have a fixed 24x that I will put on it (currently on my 77 Mk11 .220 Rocket and I'll be retiring it to some degree though its a bug-holer) I'll need the scope off of it.

I'm thinking I will go ahead a buy the 12 BVSS (1:9) or the 12 VLP DBM (1:7 twist). The plan is to shoot F/Open 600yd at Oak Ridge which is where I usually shoot mid range. My first choice would be the BVSS but want the 1:7 twist barrel rather than the 1:9 because of the bullet weight 77 - 80 gr bullets did better in my 1:7 twist barreled AR.

The VLP comes in either but I don't like the stock. Also are these floated barrels and should I plan on glass bedding right off. If I wanted to just buy the Action and barrel it myself who is the right supplier (can't find the SSS site I see a lot of reference to).

I really must start off with the .223 just to keep it affordable as I'm fxed with dies brass etc.

Who might suggest what in making this transition.

can I count this as question #1? (and Ace i've seen that mug somewhere before)

Thanks

Tom
I see there is a site for impaired and what should I buy questions - oh well