Thread: Stupid bedding question

Stupid bedding question

I have a 10FP action bedded with Accraglass into a McMillan A5 inletted for CDI DBM; it was the second bedding job I have performed. Bedding is from the back of the recoil lug to the rear pillar area, with the tang floated. During prep, I wrapped the barrel with painter's tape to ensure sufficient free float.

When I place the action down into the bedded stock, the barreled action tilts forward until it contacts the tip of the stock. If I press down on the rear tang, the barrel rises until the rear of the action contacts the bedding. When I torque down the action screws, the action does not move from this position.

Is this "normal" or acceptable for best accuracy?

If not, anybody have recommendations on ways I can hog this thing out and try again?

Thanks and apologies for the stupid question - rifle bedding probably shouldn't be as complicated as I make it.

normal....

When you sit it in the stock horizontally the recoil lug is the pivot point. Theres alot more weight and length on the barrel end than there is the tang end, so it tilts that way.

BTW, the best way I have found is to stand the stock up on end(on recoil pad). Then place in barreled action and start all the screws. This will allow the recoil lug to make full even contact with the stock.Then tighten the action screws up and your done. It is actually easier this way once you do it a couple times.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member
    My 7mm-08 hunter that I pillar bedded does the same thing. pdog06 nailed it and this rifle- which by no means was built for precision shooting- will manage around 1/2" @ 200 with hunting loads.

See how it shoots.