When I'm done with this project I don't think I'll be in the "pure as the driven snow" category anymore.

I have a few pistols & rifles I've improved by changing triggers, mag releases, & basic bolt-on or swap-out parts but I want to build something nobody else has. The driving force behind building a low cost custom .223 is that I have a physical disability that makes my muscles weaken just a little more each day. I contracted polio at age 6, recovered enough to lead a full life that included marriage, kids, dirt bikes, (I was bad at that sport) and I had a 37 year career with a Fortune 500 company. I was shown the door at age 56 along with a few hundred others in my age / years category so I took the buy-out, bought an ATV which I nearly killed myself on & decided to return to a safer hobby - guns.

I want a .223 that's as lightweight as possible. I already know I'll have the barrel shortened by at least 4" & am trying to figure out how to lighten it even more. 99% of the time it'll be used to shoot desert rats at max distances of 100 yds and they're usually even closer. If I want long shots I'll use my bull barreled 93r17 with the 6x32AO Vortex scope. I've thought about having the Axis barrel fluted starting somewhere near the barrel nut & tapering off into nothing about halfway down it's length. Since recoil from a .223 is minimal I don't need to add weight & am looking for suggestions to reduce the weight even more. Optics will be a BSA 3x12 Sweet 223 with Warne rings, probably on a rail. I also have a 1.5x5 red dot scope w/ a laser but doubt if it'll see much use.

I joined this forum to gather as much of your collective knowledge as possible. I've read all about filling molding voids & adding stiffeners to the forearm & will probably fill the voids but skip the steel rods. I'll get the lightest/strongest aluminum bi-pod I can find, change or tune the trigger & have the action timed / slicked up. I'll also use an adjustable Kydex cheek rest (like one of the other members made) but that's about it. If anybody ever makes a skeleton stock I'll buy one even if it'll only shave off a few ounces.

So, to all of you veteran Savage owners let me have it, good or bad.

Thanks!