Thread: Savage Cub switch barrel?

Basic Member

Savage Cub switch barrel?

Got my 6 year old boy his first gun and had to customize it a bit. Found a scope in the bargain bin, throw in a cheap bi-pod and off to shoot. He discovered a tactical savage while surfing the web with me and fell in love with the look. After a few trips to the range he wanted to shoot the 100 yd targets I was shooting at. The 22lr was a little light in the breeze so I figured WMR was in order. To satisfy his want for the TAC look I sanded the stock and stained it ebony. While the action was out of the stock the wheels started turning. Quick look at the design and came up with the idea for a switch barrel. A few hours in the shop and had it down. Ordered a GM Rifle barrel in 22 mag and turned it down to a feather taper and recessed target crown. 19.75 inches finished and sent a PTG 22wmr reamer down with a floating holder. Made a quick program for the extractor ramps and anchor point. Mounted it up and checked head space. Everything seemed good so off for some range testing. Few shots for safety and started the barrel break in procedure. Very accurate with CCI TMJ as this was all I could find. Will get some more ammo types and do some range testing. Boys first 50yd group could be covered with a quarter. Not bad for a six year old.

regal7point5
    Really cool sounding rig you made there...I have a real interest in the 22WMR, and love my boy's Savage Rascal. Come the two and you have a real winner. Also sounds like you have some nice equipment to make all this happen. I'll send my son's Rascal to you next week, OK? :)

Basic Member
    Need to do some research. The cub is essentially a standard Savage action and shares the same bolt body as the model93's. I know they have changed the design to a smaller action for the rascal. If you measure the boltface rim recess, is it large enough for the mag rim? Also I have not seen the rascal action out of the stock. I would assume a similar stud set up as the rest of the savage rimfires. I have never worked on anyone's guns other than family and friends as it can occasionally turn out other than expected. It was a really simple job to convert. Hardest part was getting the barrel to not chatter once it gets down towards the feather taper. I am surprised by the accuracy of the cheap barrel. I have scrounged up three different kinds of ammo and it has grouped well with all. Very uncommon with 22 Mag rifles as they usually only like one or two kinds. This week it will get its first taste of Maxi-mag HP+V. I've only shot 40 and 50 pills as of yet. This will be the first 30 grain pills for the gun. Hope they do well as I have a beaver that is trying to fall a tree on the house. Where are you located?? Maybe I can help.

regal7point5
    Yes, the Rascal bolt is definitely different than a MarkII/93...it is scaled down quite a bit and is of slightly different design. Pretty similar, yet definitely not interchangeable.

I am in VA and it is more of a pipe dream at this point, but wouldnt mind checking out the options as he becomes more comfortable with the 22LR.

For what it is worth, I have found the HP+V's to work REALLY well in my Model 93. It is not very sensitive to ammo, but definitely doesnt like the Federal Game Shok, 50 grain I believe. It is also just as accurate with the Winchester "white box", but a touch dirtier.

Basic Member
    If you get a chance post a few pics of the barreled action out of the stock. Most important is distance between barrel pins and the front anchor stud. I searched the net real quick and can't find any such pics. I did see the bolt face and I think that little action has great potential for acuracy. There is near full contact with the case and rim. The method I use would work just fine on the rascal but I would probably stay with the factory thread size as the action is so slim. I could provide you with the replacement stud as they really cost me nothing and can usually be made in minutes. Our lathes almost always have the tooling required in the turrets. The barrel is where you need to start if you decide to move forward with the project.

regal7point5
    I will try to free some time up to take a picture sometime this week. I was shooting the 93 today. Was fighting getting it to stay sighted in between the winchester and the cci hp+v. Two VERY different POI!