Thread: 30-06 with 125gr Hornady SST

cheapshot

30-06 with 125gr Hornady SST

Anyone loaded these in their -06? I want to try a lighter bullet at higher velocities and thought this may be the ticket.

I run a full case 62gr of Varget with those 125gr, and it makes for a nasty round all 3700+ fps, that comming out of a 26" 12 twist, I would start at lets say 57gr and go from there, I don't know why but the 30-06 is always overlooked as a varmint caliber.

Spanky
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

If you don't have any Varget, let me know what you have, I am sure I have used it in that combination.

Spanky
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

cheapshot
    Will do. I am going by my LGS tomorrow to pick up some powder. I will let you know what I wind up with. Also, how is accuracy with that light of a bullet? Does it remain stable out beyond 200 yards or so? Everything I am reading alludes to the fact that they can be difficult to stabilize.

That's where light bullets shine between 200 and 600 yards, if you can call 125gr a light bullet, if you intend on launching them under or around 3000 fps, sorry I can't help you, light bullets need velocity that's just there nature, anyways get back to me with what powder you manage to snag, there is a wide range of powders you can get away with, so don't sweat it if you can't find exactly what you want.

Spanky

cheapshot
    Will do. I spoke with him on the phone yesterday and told him what I wanted to do. He sat some powder to the side for me that he said would work well. I cant for the life of me remember what it is now. He is a long range shooter and didn't hesitate to tell me what I needed when I asked. Also, I have no intention on shooting them under 3000 fps, I would like to have them up around 3400-3500 fps.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I run a full case 62gr of Varget with those 125gr, and it makes for a nasty round all 3700+ fps, that comming out of a 26" 12 twist, I would start at lets say 57gr and go from there, I don't know why but the 30-06 is always overlooked as a varmint caliber.

Spanky
    Geeez, Dean. If you could get just a little more powder in there you might be able to watch the bullet turn to dust about 20yds out of the pipe.
    The times I played with 125 Nosler's in my '06 I went with IMR 4064 & 4320. It didn't exactly exceed the speed of light but the accuracy was there.
    They seemed to be happier in the .308 anyway...
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

I use to have that problem all the time, my rounds turning to dust as they exited the barrel, Thank God for slower twists, 12 twist seems to be the magic number, for what I do anyways, I see that McGowen now has 14 twist in there 25 caliber line up, I am going to putting up my 25-06 and 257 Weatherby, up for grabs and be placing an order soon, can't wait.

Rasputin

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Ya know the first time I saw a bullet vaporize upon exiting the barrel I kept asking the guy to shoot another one. It is pretty cool.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!