Thread: Alaskan moose hunt

Cjd3

Alaskan moose hunt

I've been hunting moose with my current friends and family for 6 years up in the Iliamna area of Alaska. I bought a Savage 111 chambered in 30-06 back then, and have never needed to shoulder my rifle. At least someone else has been able to harvest at least 1 moose the past years, with the exception of a skunk year.

This year, was my year, and on day one, we spotted a moose out at about 175 yards at the edge of a lake and tundra. We found a good spot where we had a good sight between the trees and brush. I shot above the shoulder and he goes off. My partner try's to hit him again, but with him thrashing in the water, it's hard to get a good shot off. We manage to get one more on him, but he goes down at the edge.

We trudge out there and find him on the edge. We get our gear, float him 20-30 feet toward a better section on the shore, and we are just able to get enough rope and cable to him.

We got a nice 32" bull, that hadn't started to rut yet, so it's some good meat.

It did take a while to get the moose to the meathouse, but a first day moose is always welcome, and a load off our back. We were able to get a second, and some great fly fishing on our last day at the cabin.

Basic Member
    congratulations on your well earned trophy. moose meat is the best of the best among game animals in my opinion.
    the 06 comes thru again as it has so many times.

jb6.5
    That's awesome! One day I want to make a trip and go moose or elk hunting, something big. Lol.

din
    We demand pics!

Basic Member
    They are a hell of an animal. Congratulations! I have always wanted to go moose hunting. Maybe some day i can get one in Maine

Congrats! My father in law is on a self guided 14 day moose hunt in northern Canada right now. Its killing me not hearing from him if he's got anything yet.