Thread: Were to begin

Takola

Were to begin

Hello I'm new to the site and have a lot of questions ..

I want to build a switch barrel rifle mainly for hunting and usually stay in the 25 cal to 7mm range. I'm leaning on a long action for greater versatility even though it will stay most of the time in either 260 or 7-08 in standard or AI form. Ive also wanted a 257 weatherby form age 6 i guess as my grandfather got one in the early 50s and called it "his favorite rifle " it went to one of my cousins who pawned it.

the main question is were to begin ? just go out and get a long action ? should i look for somthing used or just by a action from NSS sense he is 2 towns over from me or grab a stevens new or used as the trigger will be replaced anyway

thanks in advance
    Takola

Basic Member

Re: Were to begin

My first suggestion would be to chip in the $12 membership so that you can have access to the excellent tech articles on this sight and the classified section. It is the best $12 you will ever spend if you shoot Savages.

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Dirk

Brentwin,
    Nice. The guy asks a question and you give him a sales pitch! TACKY ???

Takola,
    If you are intending to do all this by yourself, I would definitely start with a long action Stevens in a caliber you want and then upgrade and improve from there.You will learn a lot by doing it and have satisfaction in doing it. Best of luck in your project.

is the 257 weatherby going to be on this same action and a repeater? then start with a mag action.

If you looking for a reliable feeding 260/7mm-08 then you may want a short action which would chamber and eject an empty 257 mag case but would have to have the bolt removed to get a live round out of the chamber.

first thing? do all have to feed from a magazine? or can some be single shot?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Since you are changing the trigger anyway then I'd go with a Stevens or a used action. You can recoup your cost by selling the factory Stevens barrel(they usually bring $50-70). I would say you could sell it in our classifieds, but then I would be called "Tacky" :D.

Northlander may actually have a Stevens action or complete rifle available if you ask him. I know having him nearby to me would just get me in trouble ::)

Welcome to the forum. Theres alot of great info here
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

Heck, tacky is one of the nicer things i've been called. Brentwin is right though, i remember seeing a steven sale for $250 in the classifieds, and i think there was a 7-08 there. Welcome aboard takola. blue

Quote Originally Posted by bluealtered
    Heck, tacky is one of the nicer things i've been called.
    :D ::)
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Takola

I will be getting a membership soon and i would like to have a swiss army rifle but the 257 ROY doesn't have to be on this rifle. I have a big aversion to buying anything not made in the US but its getting harder and harder to live by anymore. The PC I'm on now i built but its got many foreign parts and the name on my TV i cant even pronounce. I guess i could get a Vanguard sporter .

the reason i was kicking around a long action is the ability to seat out longer bullets and larger caliber selection. Most every one Id want is a 308 or 30-06 based except a 250 savage which was my first rifle. (not a 22lr) Yes i will do as much of the work myself as i can as thats the main reason i went savage as its as builder friendly as they come

Tak

look for a .25-06 then, your part way to Roy and can share bullets if you reload. Barrel has a little more value them an o6 or 270 if you sell it. 6mm rems and 257 Robs also like the longer action.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor