Thread: Timney replacement trigger and sear engagement

Timney replacement trigger and sear engagement

Brother in law still hasn't brought me his rifle to have the trigger replaced.

I've done 110's so am familiar with replacing the triggers.

Seems to remember Jim saying something about flexible forearm and sear not being set
    when first adjusted.

Told him I wanted the rifle 3-4 months ago so he could take ti to the range and be sure
    the adjustments will hold.

Know most likely he'll bring it to me Nov 6 and want to take it right out to the field. Am going to tell him I'll replace it
    after deer season.

Don't like to ruffle family feathers, and have asked several times with no results.

How big a concern is the sear issue on the Axis? I'm a safety fanatic, so will err on side of caution, but would like to know.

Thanks

Basic Member
    I have the rifle basix SAV 1. There was no issues in the factory stock. Just spend some quality time setting it correctly and testing it. Should not be any issue.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

stangfish
    Bang

I have both the basix and the Timney--I think the Basix for the Savage is the better of the two. I think your worries over the excessively light settings are well-found--I've AD'd my Timney rifle by simply chambering a round, but that's just me and it may have been the result of movement in receiver and/or recoil lug. (yes, I did all the bang the thing up and down tests).
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Bang
    You just trying to get your post count up Stang?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    You just trying to get your post count up Stang?
    No, he's trying to snap that last nerve I have that tolerates his unhelpful, uninformative wisecrack replies here. Suffice to say it's growing very thin as of late.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant16 View Post
    Brother in law still hasn't brought me his rifle to have the trigger replaced.

I've done 110's so am familiar with replacing the triggers.

Seems to remember Jim saying something about flexible forearm and sear not being set
    when first adjusted.

Told him I wanted the rifle 3-4 months ago so he could take ti to the range and be sure
    the adjustments will hold.

Know most likely he'll bring it to me Nov 6 and want to take it right out to the field. Am going to tell him I'll replace it
    after deer season.

Don't like to ruffle family feathers, and have asked several times with no results.

How big a concern is the sear issue on the Axis? I'm a safety fanatic, so will err on side of caution, but would like to know.

Thanks
    If you're referring to my article on the Timney trigger, the only concern is to double check the sear engagement numerous times before moving on to the pull weight or safety engagement screws. The forearm flex is a completely separate issue and has no bearing on the trigger.

One thing to watch out for is the sear engagement which is the first screw to be adjusted and set. I had to re-adjust mine four times as what initially appeared to be the minimum engagement turned into not enough engagement after cycling the bolt and pulling the trigger a few dozen times. This was before making any adjustments to the pull weight screw mind you, so make sure you thoroughly test your sear engagement setting before moving on to the other two screws.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    No, he's trying to snap that last nerve I have that tolerates his unhelpful, uninformative wisecrack replies here. Suffice to say it's growing very thin as of late.
    People have been a little testy the last week or so. Not sure why.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Jim

Makes me feel a little better about this.

Think I will still adjust it to top of the let off weight and set the sear a little more than the 1/6th or whatever it called for. We've had so much blue tongue this year, think an extra bottle of Basil Hayden and leave the rifle at home may be the appropriate move.