Thread: Help with ejector removal problem

dsculley

Help with ejector removal problem

Had a couple of rounds that were over-pressure and I noticed my ejector was not functioning. When I removed the bolt, it appeared the ejector was broken. Got home and tried to remove the ejector. The top of the ejector was stuck a short distance from the bolt face. I removed the retaining pin, but the ejector did not come out as normal. I sprayed it with a penetrating lubricant and started tapping the end of the bolt on a solid piece of iron to try to remove the ejector. I can get it to the point that it protrudes about 1/16" from the bolt face, but have not been able to get it any further. I put it in the freezer for a couple of hours to see if that would help, but no change. Any ideas?

Basic Member

Re: Help with ejector removal problem

Grab what you can get a hold of with vice grips and pull it on out. It is binding against the spring which has "sprung" as they say and you will need to replace the spring - there is no saving them at that point.

Once you get the pin out, most likely the spring will NOT want to come out either. Use a dental pick type tool or a firm wire (very small) with a little "ell" bend to snag it and pull it out also.

It's a very common problem with loads that are blowing primers.

dsculley

So far I have not been able to get it out far enough to grab it with pliers. I think at this point I will order a new bolt head, ejector and spring.

Team Savage

Always good to have an "extra" bolt head on hand, just for reasons like that.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member

I've had a few tough ones but always managed to get them out.

Regular pliers and needle nose will not grip it well enough, the best I have found is needle nose vise-grips so you can leverage your pressure for a better bite.

Many years ago, our first year shooting at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton NM for the Spirit of America match (F-Class and Palma) could have been a disaster.

Much to our dismay (and many others) the "hot" load back home at 50 degrees was WAY TOO HOT in 95 degree temperatures. We quickly learned as did many of the other shooters to keep the ammo in a cooler until going to the line.

Traveling that far away and with 3 guys shooting matching 260 Savages, I had extra parts along - what a life saver after traveling that far and spending that much money - would have been a nightmare without parts on hand.

We quit fixing the ejector as we had no more springs (that is really not needed anyway when you are shooting on the line) and just fix the extractor as they will slide out and bind over the ball with enough pressure. That's another reason to put the larger ball in.

poke and flush with spray cleaner or lite oil. you may work the crud and crumbs out that are holding it.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Dangerous Dan

Lube Compressed air and If That Does Not Work , I Touch Them With a Carbide Drill and They Come Right Out . Hope This Helps

dsculley

Thanks guys. Had not thought about the air. I had lubed it and worked it, also worked some Flitz into it and worked it back and forth as much as possible, still can't get it out far enough to get hold of it. I will keep trying all the things you suggested. I had thought about a drill, but I don't have a drill press. May carefully try a hand drill. Still gonna order another bolt head and a couple of ejectors with springs just to have spares.

Again, thanks for all your help/suggestions.

Dennis