Thread: Warne 2 Piece bases.

Maxamillion

Warne 2 Piece bases.

Hey guys, I posted an earlier thread on how my base screw was stripped. Instead of trying to find that screw that's so hard to find I'm just going to get some new bases.

http://www.amazon.com/Warne-Scope-Mo...avage+babasest
    I was wondering 2 things. Do these mounts come with screws? And will these mounts have enough eye relief for my scope?
    My rifle is a Savage 111 Fxcp3(package model). It did come with a cheap scope cheap rings and bases. I have replaced the scope with a Nikon Buckmaster and left the rings and bases alone. The rings I am looking at are the Burris Signature Zee rings in low. Will this provide enough bell clearance and eye relief?
    Thanks, Max

stangfish
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/532...g-action-matte

All bases come with screws. This weaver will allow you to put your scope where you want it for the same price.

Maxamillion
    I have decided to just not mess with the screws. They are in extremely tight and I don't want to mess something up. Even the stripped screw is in tight. I'm just going to get Burris signature zee rings.

maclowry
    I have similar 2 piece bases as above with screws and weaver 1" high rings. If your interested. $25 shipped
    Came off my 111.

Maxamillion
    Haha I keep changing my mind. Now I'm leaning towards Dnz game reaper mount for the savage all round recivier in low. Seems like a foolproof way to mount a scope. No lapping, aligning. And I wouldn't have to bring it to a gunsmith. But my main problem is, how do you get that stripped screw out of the recivier?

stangfish
    Is the head stripped or the thread?

stangfish
    If it is the head that is stripped it is easy. With the action secured using a centerpunch placed in the middle of the head tap on the punch with a small hamer. Using a drill and an 1/8 or 5/32 drill bit slowly drill into the head of the screw. at one point the drill will sever the head of the screw and you will be able to lift the mount off the action. It may take a little prying.Now by hand or neadlenose unscrew the remaining portion of the screw.

If it is the thread that is stripped rmove the remaining screws and pry upwards on the mount while turning the screw.

Maxamillion
    It is the head of the screw so it should be pretty easy? Check out the new dnz thread I started.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    If it is the head that is stripped it is easy. With the action secured using a centerpunch placed in the middle of the head tap on the punch with a small hamer.
    Just a friendly word of advice: When using a center punch, only hit the punch ONE time with a hammer.
    Then, after one hit, if the punch mark is not as deep as you want it to be, carefully relocate the tip back to the exact spot you hit with the first hammer hit, and then hit it again ONE time.

Please make sure you relocate the punch carefully between each hammer blow, or you will find that the tip has bounced out of the hole and you are punching a depression where you really don't want it.

"Helping folks learn from my past mistakes for years and years and years......"