Thread: Finally got started on my first savage custom!!!

Williarj87

Talking Finally got started on my first savage custom!!!

Finally beginning a long overdue savage build! I bought a model 111 Small shank in 30-06 about 4 years ago and decided back in January that I wanted to do a long range build. I did a ton of research and came to the conclusion that I just had to have a 6.5x284! Last week I started by buying the most expensive piece of the puzzle for a 1000yrd gun... the glass. I picked up a Sightron Siii 8-32x56 LRMD/CM for $750 at biggunsupplyshop.com. I am currently in Australia for work, however my brother said it arrived at his house today... claims it is by far the best scope he has had his eye behind.

This morning I decided to give Jim Briggs a call at Northland Shooters Supply. After trying about 20 times with nothing but busy signals, I got through. I wanted to go with a 30"Criterion... Jim advised against a 30" due to the small shank (Awesome guy and awesome customer service by the way), and me being the kind of guy that listens when more experience is on the other side of the line I went with a 28" bull contour he had in stock. $400 bucks later I have a barrel, barrel nut, large recoil lug, and varminter accutrigger spring coming my way.

I was so excited after this purchase I couldn't stop... 20 minutes later I had a set of Burris Signature series high Zee rings ($45 at Bigsupplyshop.com), and and egw 20MOA base on its way as well.

My Brother is going to be nice enough to have our local gun smith mate the barrel up and have it ready to go when I get home in December. By then I will have all necessary reloading components waiting as well.

I still haven't decided if I want to buy a tacticool stock and bed it temporarily , or just bed the regular savage stock I have now before I can afford a custom laminate sock or possibly even a manners next year.
    Last edited by Williarj87; 09-21-2013 at 03:04 AM. Reason: barrel is bull contour

Williarj87

Here is the Barrel! As of right now the scope is mocked up to the gun, but the action and barrel are going to the gunsmith this weekend to be assembled