Thread: Richards Microfit Safari Rollover??? Help Please.

Basic Member

Richards Microfit Safari Rollover??? Help Please.

I am looking for a stock to work with a build I have going. I have a Savage model 10 action with DBM with top bolt release and a Shilen Varmint Contour barrel. I love the Boyds Prairie Hunter, but you would have to chew a lot of wood of the barrel channel for the Varmint Contour to ride in that stock. I came across Richards Microfit and it looks like their Safari Rollover is basically like Boyds Prairie Hunter. Does anyone have any experience with Richards Microfit? Does anyone know about this particular model, the Safari Rollover?

I have bought three stocks from Richards Microfit. Two of them have been nice, one of them was very rough. Took a lot of work to make it, in my estimation, a shootable stock. IMHO
    Last edited by blvedere; 09-14-2013 at 02:36 PM.

rmdailey
    I have their "Modern Classic" on order right now. From everything I've read, they are not drop in like a boyds. And require sanding and finishing, and final inleting. They do offer a lot of options. I was able to get a LH Shooter Stock for my righthand action, and a wider forearm to handle a bigger barrel, and a higher grade of walnut. I'll see how it ends up when it arrives in a month. There will be posts and pictures.

Team Savage
    With the Richards stock you will have a very long waitng. It will come very rough and unfinised. But they do have more styles and wood seleciton. Opening up the barrel channel on a Boyds gunstock will be a lot easier than shaping and finishing a rough cut stock from Richard's.

Basic Member
    It sounds like everything that I have read is being confirmed. This will take some thinking here. Kinda sounding like a person better plan on a long term project with Richards Microfit Stocks, but also sounds like it may be worth it if a person is willing to do a little work. Hmmm..............

JCalhoun
    More like a lot of work rather than a little.

Quote Originally Posted by AROKHUNTER View Post
    Kinda sounding like a person better plan on a long term project with Richards Microfit Stocks, but also sounds like it may be worth it if a person is willing to do a little work. Hmmm..............
    Bingo. I have a stock from Richards that took a considerable about of work but was worth it in the end and I enjoyed the project.

LRJammer
    Their stocks are generally left pretty rough. I have one of theirs on my hunting rifle but I started with it as nothing more than an inletted blank. The inletting was spot on.

jclarke43
    I'm a newbie...and this is an older thread...but I have a plan for a project that seems to fit this. I just decided to purchase an older 116 FSAK in .375 H&H. My plan is to enjoy it as is but at the same time work on finishing one of the Richards Microfit Custom Rollover walnut stocks...take as long as it takes to "hopefully do it right"...and end up with a "custom rifle" for myself...not out to impress anyone or sell it...just to maybe say "Hey, I was able to do that!"

Had just a couple of general questions...if anyone would like to comment that would be great!

Wondering what "grade" of stock anyone might have used? type of Walnut? did you use laminate? would you suggest?
    I plan on doing all the work myself...no matter how long it takes...if walnut for the checkering...do you do the checkering portion after the final finish has been obtained or do you get close and then do checkering?

thanks in advance to anyone who might want to comment.

Basic Member
    You would be much farther ahead modifying the Boyd's stock. Those Richard's stocks need a lot of work.

bionicbob
    I just got a prone target laminate for a savage 10. I ordered it with a 1 inch barrel channel and single shot. the only fitting i had to do was open up the barrel channel and the tang area. I modified the grip area to fit my hand. I am in the process of putting in pillars and bedding the action area. My stock came quit well finished. just altered it where i wanted and sanded it. I have two coats of finish on it now and am putting in the pillars and glass bedding before i put on the last coats of finish. Everyone i know puts the finish on first then has it checkered. I ordered mine the day before Thanksgiving and got it a couple days before New Years about 5 weeks. I am very happy with the stock that i got from Richards