Thread: Savage 111 Base screw stripped

Maxamillion

Savage 111 Base screw stripped

My rifle is a Savage 111 Fxcp3. I removed the scope and rings that came with the rifle(package model). I noticed that the front most base screw was totally stripped. I just left it alone and put my scope back on for upcoming hunting season. I was wondering where I can get a replacement screw? I sent savage an email requesting a new screw. I was also wondering if this will cause the rifle base to come loose.
    Please help, Max

Best thing to do would be to run a 6-48 tap through the screw hole in the action to make sure the threads in it aren't buggered to, then just replace the screw with a new one.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

stangfish
    If you are in a bind pick up a weaver base from wallyworld and use the screws. EGW has a nice Torx set but they are pricey if you include shipping. I think the later is a better option.

Maxamillion
    It's just the screw head that's stripped not the actuall hold in the rifle.

Maxamillion
    Where can I get a new screw?! Somebody?!

stangfish
    Just because you do not like the answer does not mean that you should not adhere to what has been posted. Have you chased the threads with a tap like sharpshooter advised. You described a situation that needs more attention than just purchasing a screw. In another post there was a suggestion on where to get the correct screw. If you do not like that suggestion go to a fastener company and show them the other screw and see if they can match it. Where have you looked?

JCalhoun
    Max,

You will need to get a screw extractor to remove the screw then check that the threads were not damaged in the process. If it were me, I would upgrade to a DNZ, Weaver, or Burris scope base. You'll get a better mount and screws too.

Maxamillion
    I am going to upgrade to dnz game reapers after this season. Savage just sent me a new screw so what's the preferred way to get the stripped screw out so I can install the new one?

JCalhoun
    Screw extractor. You'll need one for a small screw and should be able to a set at a local hardware store.

Otherwise you can take it to a gunsmith or machine shop.

stangfish
    what's the preferred way to get the stripped screw out so I can install the new one?
    1) Drill the head off the old screw with a cordless drill and a small drill bit. You may need to centerpunch the screw to align the drill bit with the center of the screw head. Start drilling slowly into the screw head and once it cuts into the shaft of the screw the head will start turning. Lift the drill bit out and the head of the screw will come with it. Remove the other base screw and lift the base off. The screw shaft that is remaining is finger tight and will be sticking up enough to grab a hold of. Needle nose or other suitable pliers will easily take it out.

2) Take it to a gunsmith. He will perform #1
    Last edited by stangfish; 09-20-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Maxamillion
    I have 2 questions- what size drill bit? And my screws seem very tight almost like they have lock tight.

stangfish
    I would use a drill bit about 2/3 the size of the head of the screw. What is the second question?

Basic Member
    If you believe they are lock tighter hold a sodar iron to them just long enough to warm it up should release any lock tight.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2