Thread: stevens top feed issues

fratri

stevens top feed issues

Hi there, not all that experienced rifle shooter here, I am having difficulties getting my 2 second round to chamber some times....I eject the first one okay but sometimes the bolt needs to go back a second time or third time in order to bring the next round up....It there a certain way to load the bullets into the magazine that will avoid this....
    I have a steven's model 200 in a .223 top feed....Thanks

hotbrass

Re: stevens top feed issues

Sounds like you are not bringing the bolt all the way back. But I dont have a Stevens .223, so I dont know if the magazine presents the round correctly. You can also bend the top rear of the magazine metal forward so it comes up in front of the bolt every time.

Also sounds to me like you're not bringing the bolt back all the way. Just enough to eject the spent case.

I'd think if there was a problem with the mag itself it wouldnt feed no matter how many times you worked the bolt.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

I had the same problem with my Stevens .223. The case would be angled slightly up at the front. I tried tweaking the feed lips and stretching the mag spring but was never able to get it to feed the second round reliably. The only solution I found was to load the mag one round short of full capacity.
    Stevens 200, .260/ Sin Arms Brux #7, 24"/ Stockade Woodchuck/ Rifle Basix SAV1/ Nikon Buckmaster 4x-14x-40mm

davemuzz

Give Solothurn's suggestion a try as long as your sure you are pulling the bolt completely back so the bolt can "pick up" that second cartridge.

But, I will agree that when you have a full magazine there are times when those cartridges will "jam" in there. One solution I have found is to remove the stock, which will allow the follower and spring to "fall out." Sometimes the follower will bind in the magazine box. So, I've spread the box to allow a little more play for the follower.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this and you bought the gun new, take it back to the gun shop and 'splain it to em. They should be able to fix it fairly quickly.

FWIW

Dave