Thread: Does a barrel swap, then swap back, mean a new load development?

mugsie

Does a barrel swap, then swap back, mean a new load development?

Here's a question: suppose I have a rifle with barrel A on it. I remove A and screw on barrel B. now I'm done shooting B, so I remove it and replace it with A again. Does A barrel continue to use it's previously established load, or will the load require tweaking somewhat to bring it back to shooting where it was before it was replaced?

Basic Member
    Sounds like the basis for a fine experiment/excuse to shoot.

Basic Member
    I would think if you used the same gauges and same install technique I would think it would be pretty close.

Basic Member
    If all the same tools/gauges are used it should head space the exact same. Many members on here have switch barrel guns that they use.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

stangfish
    Sounds like the basis for a fine experiment/excuse to shoot.
    I agree

In my opinion it stands to reason that you should be good to go. If one does this they might consider having the stock bedded with pillars installed. Repeat the screw torque. Point of impact would change I would imagine. Something to experiment with would be barrel/nut torque. I would also suggest using a ground recoil lug. A trued action face would also be optimal. One might go to the trouple to make index marks on the barrels and the action. Just some hunches.
    Last edited by stangfish; 09-11-2013 at 11:54 PM.

davemuzz
    I have two 6.5x55 barrels. One is my summer heavy varmint and the other is a sporter tapered (one hole with three shots....but then it's too hot to keep that group) for fall hunting. I have a "witness" mark on my receiver and one on the barrel. Just line 'em up and tighten. (I ALWAYS check afterwards with the go\no-go gauge's just in case I'm one thread off.) Of course, the nut behind the trigger is always one thread off.....but....well...you know.....

Dave

stangfish
    the nut behind the trigger is always one thread off
    This statement has thrown some for a loop, Don't get caught in the whirlwind.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    The times I've pulled a barrel off & put it back on a few months later, I've had to fine tune the load a few 10ths of a gr. Never a full rework of load development.

And, I agree. It's a real good reason (not excuse) to go shoot. Any reason is good.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Nandy
    Its my understanding that with proper bedded rifles that are true not only the charge will not change but neither the poi. I have not been able to try this as I am in the process of building 4 switch barrels but I don't have 2 barrels per Rifle yet. However I have experience changing barrels from one action to a other and keeping the same load the barrel shot the usual groups in the new action that happens to be the same style as the original action. One funny thing is that I did that before bedding the action and after bedding it all groups opened up. Seems I bedded the lug too tight ...
    Last edited by Nandy; 09-12-2013 at 10:06 AM.