Thread: B.Mag Cocking and Safety Question

exsquid

B.Mag Cocking and Safety Question

Hi Guys,

Just found this site and have a B.Mag question for anyone who owns one, relating to the safety and cocking of the rifle.

It seems that with the safety on, my B.Mag when closing the bolt does not cock the rifle. The safety has to be in the off (fire position) when the bolt is closed in order to cock the rifle. I have noticed that you can close the bolt with the safety on and then remove the safety to fire, and then simply lift and then close the bolt to cock the rifle. It seems odd to me that the rifle will not cock with the safety engaged. Is this normal to others using this rifle or is this just normal to a cock on close style cocking mechanism?

The rifles shoots great and has become my new groundhog hammer. lol

Appreciate your comments...

exsquid...

2. 09-11-2013, 03:41 AM
    Reason
    Rule #7 Violation - Publically challenging the authority of the admin/moderators of this site.

Basic Member
    This is normal and enables you to close the action without cocking it for long term storage, etc, without having to snap the trigger onto an empty chamber which is hard on the components. It also does not cock when closing the action if the safety is off and the trigger is pulled while closing. This is my first gun which cocks on closing and it did seem a little odd to me but seems to work OK. Since I always store my guns with the hammer down on an empty chamber, it has not been an issue. When I go hunting, I insert the loaded mag, cycle the action to chamber a round, and then set the safety. Seems to work just fine to me.

Irish

exsquid
    Quote Originally Posted by JG26_Irish View Post
    Seems to work just fine to me.Irish
    Thanks, Irish. Agreed it does work fine, just different than the usual bolt action, which prompted my question :) . With the performance of the rifle in all other aspects it is definitely a keeper and a joy to own. Now if only Savage would build a .17FB or a .17 Hornet in a 4.5lb rifle. That would only add to the fun. lol