Thread: Wife and I are are fist time black bear hunters, few questions, all feedback welcome!

Basic Member

Wife and I are are fist time black bear hunters, few questions, all feedback welcome!

Wife and I are heading out later this week to Maine, on last week of season guided hunt. I am taking my Marlin Guide gun, ported in 45/70, stoaked with leverloutions, 325 gr BT, she is taking her .243 with 100gr, psp. Our back up guns are for her, here dads Marlin 336, 30/30, loaded with 160ftx's I loaded, and me with my 6.5x55 swede 96 with 140sp. Our long shot will be 40ish yards. I know most folks would think a .243 light, but it has more kinetic energy than the 30/30 and this is her favorite rifle, taken over 20 deer with it, her last at 220yds, is dead nutz accurate and she feels comfortable with it. She also has had 3 back surgery's, and cant handle recoil well. In Maine the 22 magnum is legal to bear hunt with, hard to believe when I read that in the regs. According to the guide, he says they die twice as easy as a whitetail deer when hit in the vitals, just don't have the will/adrenalin to live.What do you guys think that have bear hunted before?

Basic Member
    Well, never hunted bear, so take it with a grain of salt, but the 243 ought to do it, from what I have read. I would AVOID shoulder shots with the 243. Also, in my opinion, don't get too hung up on the KE numbers. Trust me the 30-30 has a better reputation with big game than the 243 does. When kept under 150yds the 30-30 is a solid elk and moose rifle. Those 170gr bullets open a big hole.

Yours obviously will have no issues. I have heard of the 325 BT's opening very early. Personally I'd rather a 45-70 bullet not open than too early. I hunt with the 300gr TSX in mine, but only cause it's the only affordable, and legal bullet for this stupid state. It also consistently prints a 3 shot clover leaf at 100yds.

Not cutting your choices, I think they will get er done. I have heard the same thing about black bears, they are easy to kill, when both lungs are taken out. My 243 is loaded with 95gr partitions. I like deep penetrating bullets. I figure a smaller hole through both lungs beats one lung splattered any time.

Good luck on your hunt.

I believe the black bear is considered a CXP2 game animal just like a whitetail deer. When in doubt bring a 12 ga shotgun with a slug barrel and some slugs.
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

How did it go? I never bagged a black bear when I lived there, unfortunately. Most people think they are bigger than they actually are, but anything 7mm or up is generally enough.

Where did you end up going in the state? I've been up near grand lake matagammon and out towards Brooklin. Plenty of coyotes, but I never got a bear.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member
    I got a yote one night walking out on a 2 track, 3 of them coming down towards me, shot it with a 45/70 325 grFTX, made it do the wave! I ended up getting a #250 giant sow, 5-6 years old, nice coat, making a rug and euro mount with the skull. Pm me your smart ph# or email and will send you a pic!