Thread: Need help for seating primers

Basic Member

Need help for seating primers

I was given a RCBS JR2 press and have built a bench and have all the equipment I need to start reloading . The press was missing the plug to seat the primers off of the press and RCBS generously sent it to me free of charge .I put the plug ,spring and sleeve into the priming arm and am good to go .The first 2 brass I have tried to prime , I can't seat the primer below the bottom of the brass , just lacks a CH but is a little proud of the brass . I can lift the bench off the floor and still won't seat . Brass is clean and primer pocket cleaned out . Once fired 243 Hornady brass , Remington large rifle primers .Any suggestions ?

Skunce
    I like most reloaders use a hand priming tool. It's faster and gives better feel when seating. I used an RCBS Partner press recently to seat some new Wolf primers in new Lapua 6BR brass and it was very difficult to seat them completely.

acemisser
    my Lee hand primer WILL NOT seat the Federal primers all the way? May I need a new tool..

stangfish
    A few questions. Have you looked at the primer pocket? Is there build up in the pocket? Are you aware that softer brass and hotter loads have a tendancy to close or shorten the pocket? Have you ever heard of a primer pocket uniforming tool?

I did not say primer pocket reamer I said primer pocket uniformer. I like my Hollands. It works wonders in a drill if you are smart enough to get it in there. The Hollands is carbide and will last.

I don't know the brand but this is what a uniformer does.
    Last edited by stangfish; 09-08-2013 at 07:29 PM.

n4ue
    I have had several presses and have had my Rock Chucker for over 40 years. First thing I did was throw away the priming arm.
    I use nothing but a Lee hand priming tool and prefer to use it even when loading ammo with my Dillon 650XL.
    Nothing can match the 'feel' of seating a primer by hand.
    You can instantly tell when the pocket is oversize, etc.
    You can never get this feel with a press.

ron

Wildboarem
    +1 on the hand priming tool especially if load for any pistol also.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    A few questions. Have you looked at the primer pocket? Is there build up in the pocket? Are you aware that softer brass and hotter loads have a tendancy to close or shorten the pocket? Have you ever heard of a primer pocket uniforming tool?

I did not say primer pocket reamer I said primer pocket uniformer. I like my Hollands. It works wonders in a drill if you are smart enough to get it in there. The Hollands is carbide and will last.

I don't know the brand but this is what a uniformer does.
    Stangfish is on the money IMO. I use a uniformer almost every time. I feel Sinclair make a fine power unit.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Stangfish and Dennis are giving good advise
    I had some Hornady 223 brass that almost all the primer pockets had to be uniformed
    The primers would seat just as you described, some sticking up a considerable amount
    After uniforming 50 rounds, I decided to save the rest of the brass for when I had a lot of time for prep LOL
    Good luck
    Jack

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions , I did clean the primer pockets out , but will look for a pocket uniformer and have ordered a Lee hand priming tool .am anxious to work up my own first loads for my Trophy Hunter 243 .

I know this sounds obvious--but are you sure your shell holder and dies are properly adjusted and seated solidly?
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

stangfish
    Linedog. What did you use to clean out your primer pockets? It does not matter what brand of uniformer you get but if you plan on loading for a long time get the carbide tool.
    Last edited by stangfish; 09-09-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Basic Member
    I used a Lee primer pocket tool . Seemed to work OK , but this is my first attempt at this .

Basic Member
    are you sure the sleeve is not too long or seater plug to short? Both would cause you to bottom out before getting the primer fully seated.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Linedog View Post
    I used a Lee primer pocket tool . Seemed to work OK , but this is my first attempt at this .
    That tool should do it. I have never used one, does it remove brass from the bottom or just scrape off the carbon? It needs to get down into the brass.
    Powered wire cleaners do not uniformly cut the pocket either, like the one on the lyman trimmer.

Basic Member
    The Lee, RCBS and other pocket cleaning tools are just that, pocket cleaners.

Truing and squaring is another story.

I use a Lee and give then a quick twist just enough to clean the majority of the curd out. For truing, squaring and cutting them to a uniform depth I use the old type Sinclair cutters adapted to my Wilson trimmer. Their job is to cut the corner of the pocket square and most of if not the entire floor flat and 90 degrees to the walls.

For priming I use the old Lee single feed hand tools that came in the target loader kit or a RCBS tube feed bench priming tool.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    I wondered about that too but the sleeve , plug and spring were just sent to me from RCBS and without anything else to compare them with I think they must be the right size . I tried to pull the plug out a bit and re tightened it but when I tried to seat the primer deeper the force just pushed the plug back down to the bottom .

acemisser
    my Lee primer works fine with all but the Federals
    '

Basic Member
    I tried to pull the plug out a bit and re tightened it but when I tried to reseat the primer the plug just pushed back in to the bottom .

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    my Lee primer works fine with all but the Federals
    '
    De ja vu

So I give up. Why do you have problems with the Federals? After Uniforming I have no issues with any of them.

MacDR
    I also use the Lee tool. My only complaint is the tabs on the clear plastic cover break off. A tight elastic band now holds the covers on both my small and large primer holders. BTW a large primer ram will not seat a small primer flush. Not being familiar with the RCBS system I can't comment on this being a possible cause of your problem.

Basic Member
    Just for S&G's you might want to try seating one of the proud primers the rest of the way with the sleeve removed to see if it is the sleeve being too long. If it is a quick trip across a belt sander will correct that problem. If you still can't seat the primer all the way then something else is wrong.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Great idea ,I'll give that a try , Thanks