Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Fit More Powder Into A Case

Thumbs Up How To Fit More Powder Into A Case

Listen up boys and girls, I am asked this question often, how do you fit X amount of powder in a certain case, when I can only fit this amount no matter what brand of brass I use, Me personally I have found you can achieve more FPS and tighter groups, buy using more of a slower powder than less of a faster powder, and at the same time showing less signs of pressure, how I achieve this is by placing my reloading tray right beside my bench grinder, when I am pouring the powder into the the cases, the slight vibration that the bench grinder creates really settles the powder in compactly, that and pouring it in slowly and not just dumping it in the funnel, this of coarse really only applies to stick powder, I can usually get an easy 5% more powder and in most cases even more, which is a big factor in achieving the numbers that I do, just thought some folks would like to know, it is also a way around for those who don't like to compress loads, "Hey Frank"

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Thanks

I wasn't sure where to post this, because it applies to standard, Ackley Improved, and wild cat cases,

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

FYI Chargemasters and other measuring instruments, do not cooperate at all with they bench grinders antics so take appropriate steps.

Dean

Basic Member
    scope eye, by starting this thread you have proven to me that ESP is alive and well, because I have been thinking for some time about sending you a PM to see if you would consider enlightening us on your reloading methods, but here we are with a great place to start:) I am very interested in your statement that "book max loads are often your starting loads". I have great faith in the strength of the bolt action rifle, and I include Savage among the best of these. So I know the action is good and buy working loads up slowly pressure signs will show up in the case first. But it would be great to hear what you have already learned through experience. I will start with a few questions that I hope you will answer for us:)?

1. I shoot a 140grn PSP in my 260Rem touching the lands, and that bullet is a "bore rider" so there is no problem engaging the lands. I want to try some other bullets that may not engrave so easily so I think they should have some jump to the lands. For powders, I have considered using IMR 7828, Hybrid 100v, H 1000, Re 19, or maybe Re22, thinking of your suggestion "slower and fuller is better". Question-do you ever touch the lands "and" use a full or compacted load, or do you use some jump, depending on the bullet?

2. I use Remington cases and get good case life, but I haven't visited the "hot side of town" much yet. I want to see if a little more speed and "kick in the butt" will help my accuracy. Question- what brand of cases do you use with your hot loads and what kind of case life do you expect from them ?

3. That's enough for now, unless you can think of anything to add. Thanks Very Much:)!.....Jim

davemuzz
    Scope Eye.....what a great money saving idea!! And here....I've been hiring a belly dancer to place my powder filled brass on in order to get the powder settled just enough to add a bit more powder. Those dancers get expensive after awhile!!!

Basic Member
    Yeah! Messing with brass cases tends to keep me away from brass poles :) :) ... Less expensive !

A long drop tube helps to align the kernels of powder also.

Like this...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/293...long-drop-tube

Hey Jim I never touch the lands, not in any of my twenty plus calibers I load for, my minimum is 50 thou and up to 100 thou is not rare,
    All my loads are compressed loads even with the powder settled in a la bench grinder,
    As far as brass goes I use all brands they all have there pros and cons, by far the toughest brass is Privi Partisen, to be fair It's not real brass it's half brass and half old tanks melted in with it,LOL but it is by far the brand that can take the most abuse, come to think of it they should sponsor me, if you or anyone else has any other questions I will gladly respond.

Dean

Basic Member
    Ok, 50 thou off the lands takes away some pressure. Do you have any problems with compressed loads pushing the bullet out in hot weather, or do you take them to the range in a cooler, etc.? Thanks Dean.....Jim

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Ok, 50 thou off the lands takes away some pressure. Do you have any problems with compressed loads pushing the bullet out in hot weather, or do you take them to the range in a cooler, etc.? Thanks Dean.....Jim
    I have never had that problem of the bullets pushing out in hot or cold weather, I don't know what the term is for powder, but I compress the load but I don't hydro lock it, and when I am seating the bullet I seat it in SLOWLY to allow the powder a chance to conform into place.

Dean

thomae
    A vibratory tumbler can be used as well.

Basic Member
    I am a small volume reloader so I like to seat my bullets with a Lee hand press in order to get a good feel for neck tension. This can be advantageous to keep from over compacting the powder while I'm learning this new process. Thanks ... Jim

stangfish
    Everyone needs to remember that Mr Scope Eye does not believe the muzzle velocity of any cartridge should be under 3700fps.

And to think, all this time I have just been using a bigger case to hold more powder :)
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Everyone needs to remember that Mr Scope Eye does not believe the muzzle velocity of any cartridge should be under 3700fps.
    That sounds about right, and I am working on upping that number, I was wondering when you were going to chime in, by far the best brass to use are the pieces that are so thin, you can see daylight through them, they hold the most powder.

SPANKY

Basic Member
    That's why I like Remington and Winchester brass. It fire forms easily and has more volume. Give me the thin stuff:)!

My interest in this subject is not to achieve any certain velocity number, but to achieve better accuracy through a bit more velocity which is a little outside the "standard" reloading suggestions. After all, "Wildcating" has brought us some of our most successful chambering's, and learning from those who have put the time in to learn what is possible is certainly beneficial to me and others. Dean is not the only one who has found better accuracy through more velocity.

Question Dean-when I buy a barrel, it has to last me a while. Do you experience rapid barrel ware or throat erosion with your reloading methods? Does your garden have a lot of steel "tomatoe stakes" :) ! .... Thanks - Jim

"Question Dean-when I buy a barrel, it has to last me a while. Do you experience rapid barrel ware or throat erosion with your reloading methods? Does your garden have a lot of steel "tomatoe stakes" :) ! .... Thanks - Jim"

Hey Jim, I have covered this before, I am not what you would call a volume shooter so that's not an issue, the big thing I have found is never overheat the barrel, that and as I was saying slower powders seem to be less harsh on throats even though you are using more of it, if you want a number I have never got less than 1000 rounds on anything I load, and then I only have to rethroat it that's about 100 bucks, a good example I have a 22-250 then I rethroated it, then I went to an Ackley Improved version also about 100 bucks, now it is a 22-243, same 100 bucks keep in mind that there was over 1000 shots between changes, and they did not necessarily need it some times I did it because I wanted to and not out of necessity, just like my 30 calibers I had a 308 I turned it into a 30-06 which then became a 300 Win Mag, I was recycling be for it was cool. so I guess I could figure in 10 cents a round for barrel wear, with bullets 30 cents apiece thirty bucks for a hundred count, 30 cents worth powder 30 bucks a pound 100 rounds average per pound, primers a nickle each 50 bucks a brick of 1000, less than 10 cents a round to make it all happen that's a bargain in my book.

Dean

PS: Someone asked me this about slow twist barrels, but I forgot who, so here you go, this is what I have concluded from having almost every configuration of barrels possible, that all things being equal for every one number slower twist you gain about 100 FPS, as far as medium to light bullets are concerned, I don't know if that also works for 300 SMKs out of a 338 cal or the like, I have not tried it, but it has for the 160s TTSXs and nearly every other combination and caliber I have tried.
    Last edited by scope eye; 08-16-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spellink

BTW I was kidding about the brass, the brass gets that thin from growing and having to trim it so often, and is well past it's life expectancy.

Dean

Basic Member
    Thanks very much Dean! Site searches seem to come easy for some folks, but not for me. I apologize for asking questions you have already answered and I will work on improving my search skills :) ..... Jim

Don't worry about it, but it is by far the question I am asked the most often.

Dean

aka:Cliff
    Oooohhhh... you're a sly one, Mr Grinch.

Quote Originally Posted by aka:Cliff View Post
    Oooohhhh... you're a sly one, Mr Grinch.
    I will take that as a complement due to the fact that I have been called worse,LOL Oh here is a tip for ya, the more out of whack your grinding wheel is, the more powder you can fit in true story.

Spanky

PS: you know I have watched that Christmas special every year, since it came out, first as a kid then as a father and as a grandfather, it came out in 1966 so I guess that's 46 times, WOW I had never thought of it until now.

aka:Cliff
    Yes Sir. a complement. (sorry if it was not clear)

I enjoy a good determined mind solving a problem.
    Very sly at making more room.

Its like filling a bottle with marbles. Then Sand. Then water.
    Always room for a little bit more.

Being born in '64 myself, I've seen it a few times myself too.

EOD350
    Just use a 4-6 inch drop tube.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Hey Jim I never touch the lands, not in any of my twenty plus calibers I load for, my minimum is 50 thou and up to 100 thou is not rare,
    All my loads are compressed loads even with the powder settled in a la bench grinder,
    As far as brass goes I use all brands they all have there pros and cons, by far the toughest brass is Privi Partisen, to be fair It's not real brass it's half brass and half old tanks melted in with it,LOL but it is by far the brand that can take the most abuse, come to think of it they should sponsor me, if you or anyone else has any other questions I will gladly respond.

Dean
    I too really like PPU rifle brass--and their rifle ammo is a bargain for the price and quality IMHO. However, I recently bought some of their 380 auto FMJ ammo and it's the some of the worst stuff I've ever shot--I don't think their rifle quality carries over into their pistol stuff unfortunately.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast