Thread: 223 load and bullet for tactical application?

Basic Member

223 load and bullet for tactical application?

I see lots of info on bullets and loads for punching paper but what is out there for use in an AR-15 or long range bolt for tactical applications? I typically shoot 69-75gr bullets in my Savage 10 FLCPK and in my long range AR15 20" barrel but these are all match bullets and I assume they could not be counted on in a SHTF situation. Any suggestions?

JCalhoun
    Not much available with poly tip or partitions.

Basic Member
    The military has used both the 77gr SMK and the 77gr Nosler in their loads for the MK12 rifles.

stangfish
    I am not sure abot what you want to be killing but I was under the impression that humans tend to be fragile.

I think berger also makes a couple of larger vld-type bullets for the caliber. I'm guessing there is a bit of a problem getting the necessary propellant in that case to get a bigger higher BC bullet out that far with great effect, at least out of an AR. I have some barnes tsx in the 70 +/- gr range which I'm thinking of developing a hunting load out of.
    Last edited by thermaler; 09-08-2013 at 08:42 AM.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    With our Savage rifle and a 1-9 rifling there is a problem with the larger bullets due to the twist. Many of them prefer 1-8 or 1-7 twist rates.

My core 15 and many AR's come with 1:7 these days. Not sure if the same holds true for long-barrel bolt action rifles--or even if they necessarily need them the same way an AR does--maybe fewer grooves??

stangfish
    Thermaller reminded me of my Marines sentiment. "There is very little tactical about a 5.56 unless you are dealing with unarmed civillians that are unorganized".

Google Mk.262 and find out for yourself how terminally effective a 77gr Nosler or SMK is; repeat exercise Googling 75gr Hornady TAP for the 75gr HPBT.

If you want a barrier blind round you're looking at a Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition, or a 64gr bonded option from Speer, Nosler or Federal.

Lots o' info out there on the interwebs; the 223/5.56 isn't a 308, but modern bullets aren't the same thing used 45 years ago in Vietnam either.

masterblaster
    If by tactical you want to knock the zombies down on the first shot, get a 308. In all reality, you can use many many bullets in 223 to knock out any zombie at a decent distance, a match bullet will put anyone down f placed right. I prefer the green tips and 69 smk's loaded every other round in my zombie attack go-to magazine for the 223 ar, and 178 amax, black tip pulled projo's and 175 smk loaded every other round as my go to barrier rounds in my 308 ar. I believe its best to use a variety of rounds in one AR mag as you will likely be shooting fast and close by the time they get close enough to use an AR, otherwise you will be using your 300 WM with 208 amax or a 220 smk to bust any barriers the zombies might be wearing from a distance. Lets all hope the zombie attack never comes and these magazines just gather dust in between cycling sections at the range.
    Last edited by masterblaster; 09-08-2013 at 10:21 PM.

WuzYoungOnceToo
    What sort of SHTF situation are you imagining that involves long-range sniping?

How about subterranean zombies that inhabit prairie dog holes? : ) I personally have found this discussion very interesting. I think it's a natural inclination to see how much effectiveness you can get out of any caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Thermaller reminded me of my Marines sentiment. "There is very little tactical about a 5.56 unless you are dealing with unarmed civillians that are unorganized".
    LOL--but isn't that mostly what you guys carry into battle? I don't know if this black hill stuff is it (I think it might be LC)--but I read some place a year or two ago that the military now uses a 5.56 round that is exceptionally hot and hard-hitting driven by some classified powder that you cannot get on the civie market.
    Last edited by thermaler; 09-09-2013 at 12:27 AM.

stangfish
    Everyone hides behind the SAW(M249). My marine is my fav. SIL

stangfish
    Everyone hides behind the SAW. My marine is my fav. SIL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ2SW...37447F5C26EE55

Basic Member
    That GI is going to be up to his butt in caseings by lunch break ! That's what "I" call tactical ! :)
    Last edited by FW Conch; 09-10-2013 at 09:56 AM.

The military has used both the 77gr SMK and the 77gr Nosler in their loads for the MK12 rifles
    Apparently they work quite well.

http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/ca...2-mod-1-a.html

storeyteller
    Check out the 65 grain Sierra Game King. BC is practically the same as the 69 SMK.

oldbrass
    Quote Originally Posted by storeyteller View Post
    Check out the 65 grain Sierra Game King. BC is practically the same as the 69 SMK.
    I load the 65gr Sierra game king over 24.7 gr H335 in my model 11 bolt gun...it shoots well. The GK expands to twice its size and is terror on critters, would probley work well on zombies as well

recently been using 80gr a-max.
    completed my load development, found the sweet spot, figured ballistics. I can dial up hits from 100 to 500. Steel target swingers @100/200 are 1"x2" @ 3 out to 5 are 3"x5".....
    Smacked all of them this past sunday and am much happier with the heavier 80s. next week....Im giving 600 a go. One thing is for sure though. even a 5mph will take the proj. and move it around pretty darn good...makes it more challenging
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

oldbrass
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    recently been using 80gr a-max.
    completed my load development, found the sweet spot, figured ballistics. I can dial up hits from 100 to 500. Steel target swingers @100/200 are 1"x2" @ 3 out to 5 are 3"x5".....
    Smacked all of them this past sunday and am much happier with the heavier 80s. next week....Im giving 600 a go. One thing is for sure though. even a 5mph will take the proj. and move it around pretty darn good...makes it more challenging
    I must ask what twist rate and barrel length you got on your rig...that`s some impressive shooting

Quote Originally Posted by oldbrass View Post
    I must ask what twist rate and barrel length you got on your rig...that`s some impressive shooting
    sorry for not posting that:
    Its 24" bull barrel 1-8 (Shaw Barrel) 80gr a-max 22gr AR-Comp propellant going 2650 @ 4200ft elevation.
    Frankly, I know Im pushing my luck by going out to 6. I got lucky last sunday due to semi calm winds and the calm wind was from one direction and one direction only (constant)....I know I can hit at 6 but it darn sure isnt gonna happen 1st try....It,d be super cool if I did though....to me?......this is what I consider tactical
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}