Thread: Need some opinions

Jonkerr

Need some opinions

I have a 111 in 30-06
    All I have done so far is change the scope with a bushnell legend that I had kicking around its a little nicer than the package scope.
    So what's next? The trigger is pulling about 7 pounds according to my fishing scale. Theres a mod on youtube where you change the spring... does it work or should I replace? if so with what.
    And what is a good stock? is the bolt short or long?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11HUNTERXP

I really like this gun and am looking forward to the process of making it mine

Thanks in advance

cheapshot
    Depending on which trigger you have, you can definitely improve the trigger pull. If you have the older 3 screw trigger, you can safely get it down to around 3lbs with a crisp break. Lots of info on here showing you how to do it.

As far as a stock goes, it depends on what you are looking to do with the rifle. If you are using as a hunting rifle, there really isn't any need to change the stock unless you are looking for something prettier. If you are going to be spending time at the range with the rifle, then I would definitely look into replacing the stock.

Boyds stocks are a good compromise between weight, stiffness, and price. I really like the prairie hunter. I put one on a Model 70 last year and it really helped improve the consistency. If you don't have the 3 screw trigger or the AccuTrigger, look into a Rifle Basix or SSS trigger.

Jonkerr
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshot View Post
    Depending on which trigger you have, you can definitely improve the trigger pull. If you have the older 3 screw trigger, you can safely get it down to around 3lbs with a crisp break. Lots of info on here showing you how to do it.

As far as a stock goes, it depends on what you are looking to do with the rifle. If you are using as a hunting rifle, there really isn't any need to change the stock unless you are looking for something prettier. If you are going to be spending time at the range with the rifle, then I would definitely look into replacing the stock.

Boyds stocks are a good compromise between weight, stiffness, and price. I really like the prairie hunter. I put one on a Model 70 last year and it really helped improve the consistency. If you don't have the 3 screw trigger or the AccuTrigger, look into a Rifle Basix or SSS trigger.

A little hunting alot at the range and I really like those stocks...how do I know If I have a short or long bolt?

Basic Member
    If its a 30-06 its a long action.

cheapshot
    You have a Long action. 30-06, .270, 25-06 etc are long actions and measure around 5" from action bolt to action bolt (these are found on the bottom of the stock, they screw the action into the stock). Short actions are .223, .308, .243, etc. They measure 4.27 from bolt to bolt on staggerfeed actions and 4.4 IIRC on Centerfeeds.

Jonkerr
    Thanks

Jonkerr
    PRAIRIE HUNTER SAVAGEŽ 111 DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINE LONG ACTION FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL PEPPER LAMINATE (FINISHED)
    So this would be the correct one?

For a trigger go with the rifle basix2 trigger.I have a couple and like them very much compared to any savage trigger.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

rmdailey
    I've got a Rifle Basix SAV-1, I'm very happy with it. The SAV-2 is no doubt better but it's about double. The Factory (non-accutrigger) is horrible.

We have the exact same rifle. I'm getting 3/4" groups with 165 Sierra Game Kings and IMR 4064. For factory ammo I've had great luck with 150 and 165 Federal Fusions. I've only changed the scope and the trigger. I've got a stock on order.

cheapshot
    Double post.
    Last edited by cheapshot; 09-16-2013 at 06:01 PM.

cheapshot
    If you have a DBM LA then yes. Your link was for a SA. Give Boyd's a call, they are very helpful.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmdailey View Post
    I've got a Rifle Basix SAV-1, I'm very happy with it. The SAV-2 is no doubt better but it's about double. The Factory (non-accutrigger) is horrible.
    We have the exact same rifle. I'm getting 3/4" groups with 165 Sierra Game Kings and IMR 4064. For factory ammo I've had great luck with 150 and 165 Federal Fusions. I've only changed the scope and the trigger. I've got a stock on order.
    Pretty broad general statement. I assume you're not referring to the older triggers. Mine is a 3 screw and it's better than the accu triggers I have and I would bet would match most any aftermarket trigger.

SAV-1 & SAV-2 both are great triggers for the Savages.

I just set a SAV-2 @ 10 oz's with no problems.

My favorite trigger for match rifles are the SSS evolutions. 2oz's to 3oz's and break very clean, no problem. These are not recommended for hunting rifles.

7lb trigger, my trigger finger would be ruined for life!

Groups like this are easy with a good trigger: 5 shots shooting a 308, 185 Bergers

Last edited by Dennis; 09-17-2013 at 01:56 AM.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Just put a RB Sav-1 on a 200 based hunter with a Boyds Prairie Hunter stock and a CBI barrel, it is a fantastic trigger, especially for hunting/bench work. Not an all out br trigger by any means but perfect for field/range work.