Thread: Firing Pin Problem with Model 12 BVSS

Prairiewolf

Firing Pin Problem with Model 12 BVSS

[size=10pt]About once every 10 shots my Mod 12 w/ accutrigger doesn't fire. The trigger releases and clicks but the firing pin doesn't fall at all and there is no mark left on the primer. I make sure the bolt is fully closed etc. Usually if I lift the bolt handle and recock it, then it fires normally. When it does fire, the indentaton left by the firing pin looks perfectly normal, not too shallow or too deep. Am I doing something wrong, or is it the rifle? It's a relatively new rifle and has been shot about 100 rounds. Just wondering if this is a common problem with this rifle, and if there's a known solution.

Basic Member

Re: Firing Pin Problem with Model 12 BVSS

Pay close attention to the way you are pulling the trigger.

You can pull sideways on the accu-trigger thinking you are doing everything right but in fact, this bypasses what the first stage of the trigger is made for and will not fire.

Pull straight back with no side pressure and try it out.

some times the sear/bolt release drags on the side of the stock slowing the movement. You could give it a look.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

pa hog

Try adjusting the Accu-Trigger heavier an 1/8th or 1/4 turn.

Prairiewolf

Deadeye, I think you may have it! I did notce today at the range I was using just the tip of my finger at first, when I was having this problem, which was probably pushing the "blade" over to the side. I consciouly started using the thicker pad of my finger, and I didn't have the problem after that. I didn't think it would really make any difference, but then I don't really know just how the accutrigger is put together. I'll definitely try that and see. I wonder if I can tell by dry-firing whether the firing pin is falling or not. I'll probably hear the difference? Or maybe it'll be harder to cock it if the firing pin is down? I'll go check this out right now....

Thanks for the quick responses!

Prairiewolf

Deadeye, you're a genius! That was exactly what the problem was. I just tried pushing the "blade" over to the side and pulling the trigger, and it did what it was doing at the range. The accutrigger itself releases and clicks, but the trigger/sear doesn't release. At the range I was wearing ear muffs and couldn't hear what it was doing, but it's obvious when I dry-fire it. Thanks for the help.

BTW, I was laughing at the swivel studs on this monster. It's heavy just to pick up. Who would want to tote it on his shoulder? With the big scope it weighs in at around 12 pounds. Love the rifle though!

Basic Member

No Genius here - just relaying things that I have learned from experience AND right here on this forum.

There is a wealth of information being shared by these guys and they are very willing to help.

wildwv

Prairiewolf,
    I have the same rifle, I am the same as you I love that gun. It is what brought me to this site and has been responsible for a lot of learning in the process.