Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Head space

possum1

Head space

I'm sure it has been asked before, when using a case to adjust head space do you use a new case or a new SIZED case or does it make any difference ? I'm sure I'll get reply's saying to use the gauge's, but .......... everyone is different.

warthog97

Re: Head space

Don't slap me, but please just drop the coin on the go/no go gauges. One forum member here even had the awesome idea to get a second no-go gauge and have a couple of thousands milled off to create a 'set-to' gauge. When I get around to switch barreling my savage (too many projects, too little time) I think I'll go that route.

-bnw

possum1

Never have slapped anyone for giving advice I've heard and read both way's, called my smith and he uses a empty case. Noticed on the Midway ad " if you have any trouble with the Forster gage contact forster " ??? Makes you wonder " what trouble ".

FIRED CASE - FULL LENGTH SIZED IN YOUR DIE. you need to set the shoulder with your die. New brass may start life undersized in your die. You are then matching your die and brass to your chamber as close as possible with out custom ( expensive) chamber and die work. If your worried about squishing the brass case, fill it with something like epoxy. for those that say you can even crush that, why are you turning it on that tight?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

possum1

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    FIRED CASE - FULL LENGTH SIZED IN YOUR DIE.
    Now please bear with me on this. The part I do not understand, how am I going to get a FIRED CASE from this rifle when the head space has not been set yet ? I alway's neck nize with a Lee collet die anyway. Or are you saying ANY fired case sized with my F/L die ?

~Ace~

Free method...

Take a piece of brass fired in any bolt .308 neck size set headspace... The take a Factory round and make sure it fits, if it does add one piece of masking tape to the head, close again, it should still fit with little resistance. If it does add a second piece. It may or may not close, if it closes Easy your on the loose side, if it closes hard your on the tight side... add a 3rd piece it should not close...

Generally you want to use a piece of brass fired in a Tight Chamber bolt gun, or FL size it and just bump the shoulder back...

Factory HS tends to be generous, I like mine tight, I want it to be Hard to close the bolt on 2 pieces of tape with a factory round. I have seen new ones that you could close on 3.

any fired case will be larger then a new one. after you fire a few out of it you could recheck it it you feel like it.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

possum1

Why couldn't I take the rifle I'm shooting now and measure and so-forth feel around with the case and see how it feel's with the tape and without the tape thread barrel back and forth just to get the feel of thing's ? Wouldn't that be a good idea or not. Don't think I am going to do something stupid by the way I am posting If for any reason I have any doubt about the rifle being unsafe to fire, I will take it to a smith to get it looked at and checked. I honestly think I can do this from the info I've read here and all the reply's I have had from my post.

go for it! it is like making Koolaid, not hard at all to do.

possum1

And you can make different flavors < del>too</ del> ;D

ozman

I highly recommend you break down and buy the Forster go/no go gauges. I mean is it worth it for a few bucks to risk your face? Don't mean to sound sour but some things you just don't cheap out on. I bought a set when I head spaced my .220 swift and I don't regret it at all. I still have them to use again and I lived to tell the story. Really just buy the set. Your safety is more important than a few bucks.

~Ace~

Quote Originally Posted by ozman
    I highly recommend you break down and buy the Forster go/no go gauge. I mean is it worth it for a few bucks to risk your face? Don&#39;t mean to sound sour but some things you just don&#39;t cheap out on. I bought a set when I head spaced my .220 swift and I don&#39;t regret it at all. I still have them to use again and I lived to tell the story. Really just buy the set. Your safety is more important than a few bucks.
    I have measured guages by 3 different makers and All were different

settle down!

Dirk

Hey Ace,

Does that avatar of yours look just like you?

Basic Member

On the Savage website they say they use a minimum headspace gauge. Where do I find one of those? I used a Forster go gauge when putting my .260 barrel on my 12 action. I closed the bolt with the go gauge, then screwed the barrel in until contact was made, then just because I am new at this and wasn&#39;t sure what to do, I screwed the barrel back out until I felt no resistance while opening and closing the bolt. I tightened the nut, then chambered a once fired case that I had FL sized. It was hard to close the bolt. So what do I do now? I am guessing it shouldn&#39;t be difficult to close the bolt if the head space is correct.

you had your die set a half turn or so in after it touched the shell holder? the lever stops short or cams over center?

Basic Member

As per the Hornady instructions I: Raised the press ram to highest position with camming over, then threaded the full length dien into the press until the base touched the shell holder head, then tightened the lock ring and set screw.

Is there another method I should have used, remember this is my first attempt at building my own!!

possum1

Kinda like a cana worms ;D As for the die instructions I&#39;ve found out you set them to your rifle chamber, if that makes any sense. The brown truck runs tommorow, that&#39;s when I&#39;ll really be going nut&#39;s with question&#39;s

turn it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. see it that solves your problem. You may has min spec gauge and a max spec die. see if you push the die a bit harder the brass will fit. other options would be another die or file some of the top of the shell holder.

Another thought. take the barrel back off and measure how much of your gauge sticks out.
    should look something like this. have had to send barrels back to have the chamber deepened.

just the rim and groove showing

Basic Member

I guess I don't have to worry, I have to send it back any way. Supposed to be an 8 twist, but I have checked it about 30 times now, and it measures between 8.5 and 9 every time.

Live Oak

Quote Originally Posted by possum1
    I'm sure it has been asked before, when using a case to adjust head space do you use a new case or a new SIZED case or does it make any difference ? I'm sure I'll get reply's saying to use the gauge's, but .......... everyone is different.
    possum1,

I have been considering going to a 22-250 Ackley Improved for the next barrel on my Model 12 VLP. Getting an understanding of the steps involved and setting of headspace is something that I am a bit fuzzy on .

possum1

OK feller&#39;s, I&#39;ve got a house full of kid&#39;s so I&#39;m used to trying to make everyone happy. The brown truck came today with all my part&#39;s so I got me a set of gages. Going to try it both way&#39;s just to see which work&#39;s best for me. Thank&#39;s Live Oak for the link&#39;s to the video helped alot !! So wish me luck, going to work on a Savage ;D

possum1

Wouldn&#39;t it be a great time to have a new stock ;D

Live Oak

Quote Originally Posted by possum1
    OK feller&#39;s, I&#39;ve got a house full of kid&#39;s so I&#39;m used to trying to make everyone happy. The brown truck came today with all my part&#39;s so I got me a set of gages. Going to try it both way&#39;s just to see which work&#39;s best for me. Thank&#39;s Live Oak for the link&#39;s to the video helped alot !! So wish me luck, going to work on a Savage ;D
    Very welcome. Be sure to post your results. I am considering doing the same thing but installing a 22-250 Ackely Improved barrel on my Model 12 VLP

possum1

I said I was going to try both, gage and case, but just used the gage. Found a post SharpShooter had written and used the go-gage, tightened it up on the go-gage; then put one peice of tape on the go-gage and tried the bolt like, he said wouldn&#39;t go, got .002. After I fire the cases I&#39;ll see if I can get more, from what I read and hear less the better. Shooting like a charm at 100yds sometimes the hole just get&#39;s bigger ;D Got me a cheap custom 200 Almost forgot, don&#39;t know if it&#39;s relavent or not. When I was talking to Jim at NSS about the barrel I mentioned purchasing gun vise and barrel blocks he told me all you need is Wheeler action wrench and the barrel wrench, he was right, put the barreled action on the basement floor one good small rap at it broke loose, well worth the $46 bucks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast