Thread: Finally took the plunge... My first Savage 93R17 BTVSS

Kart97

Finally took the plunge... My first Savage 93R17 BTVSS

I have lurked here for months trying to decide between a B.mag or a 17HMR... or sadly... I even considered a Ruger 10/22.
    Yesterday I picked up my new toy... Then ran all over western Mass looking for a set of scope rings... Finally got them... Added a BSA Sweet 17... So I am ready to go out and play...
    And it is f&$ raining....
    Where is my God... Oh yeah... Due to being PC he is on vacation...
    Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Zinzrah
    Wotthless thread without pics :) post em up. Enjoy your new toy

Basic Member
    Kart, welcome to the club mate! The BTV model was one of my top choices. I also considered the more funky looking BSEV before opting for the BRJ. They are fine little rifles. What is the current status of the fall colors in Western Mass? I am traveling up that way and expect to be in the Berkshires region sometime later this week. A report from a citizen on the ground would be great.

Irish

Kart97
    The colors are starting to come into their peak season. But it is a bit spotty... Some spots are fabulous and right next to it is all green. We live more in the central area north of Springfield so we tend to be a bit behind the Berkshires.

Kart97
    As for posting pictures... The gun is bone stock with the addition of a scope. Anyone can see it at the Savage site or the BSA site for the scope. If I ever trick it out... Then I will put the pictures up... Or if I put 3 shots into the bullseye... ;-)

6. 10-06-2013, 12:46 AM
    Reason
    ranting that is off topic to the OP's thread. Please start your own thread if you want to complain about something!

7. 10-06-2013, 02:39 AM
    Reason
    ranting that is off topic to the OP's thread. Please start your own thread if you want to complain about something!

8. 10-06-2013, 10:01 AM
    Reason

9. 10-06-2013, 01:36 PM
    Reason

good luck with your new toy. I have had one and loved it. I sold it and now wish i woulda kept it. go figure!....LOL

And now Savage makes 10rnd mags for it as well!
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Kart97
    I actually have a couple of the magazines on order.

Basic Member
    How is it going with the rifle Kart?

What were the 3 of use "complaining" about? Not sure I could start my own thread if I don't remember what it was about LOL
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

Kart97
    I had it out the other day and sighted it in at 25 yards... After a few shots it was doing 3 shot groups into areas about the size of a dime or smaller. Hopefully, within a few days I will get out there and retune the scope for 100 yards... But so far... I am a very happy boy ;-)

Basic Member
    Which Sweet 17 did you use?

Kart97
    3-9 x 40 with some medium height rings,,, the scope only has about a 32nd clearance... This was a Dick's $59 scope... So far... I am very happy... That's not to say that I am expecting laser holes at 100 yards... But we all have to start somewhere.
    What you have to realize is that I haven't fired a rifle since I was in the army... Circa mid 70s. I wear glasses now... I don't claim to be an expert... But if I can put some holes in my target... I'm good!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kart97 View Post
    3-9 x 40 with some medium height rings,,, the scope only has about a 32nd clearance... This was a Dick's $59 scope... So far... I am very happy... That's not to say that I am expecting laser holes at 100 yards... But we all have to start somewhere.
    What you have to realize is that I haven't fired a rifle since I was in the army... Circa mid 70s. I wear glasses now... I don't claim to be an expert... But if I can put some holes in my target... I'm good!
    I've been wearing glasses since I was 14 (32 years) and I got back in to shooting about 4 or so years ago after an 18 year break. All I know is some strange things happened to me from when I used to shoot regularly to now :-) Things like: 90+% of the time when shooting a new to me rifle open sight or scoped, bore sighted or not I shoot to the right until I adjust it out. Some worse than others. Most handguns I shoot to the left which I believe is a hold situation. Handguns that are 1911 or styled like a 1911 I tend to shoot dead on for windage.

I tend to scope everything which is why I try to get the best scope for the money that I can. I think you have a good starter scope but once you are more comfortable with the rifle you will end up putting some glass on there with more magnification. I was just shooting my HMR a couple days ago, it has a 6-18x on it. I know the scope is going to be coming off to install a DIP 1 piece scope base. Whether that scope goes back on it or I step up the power I have yet to decide. It is possible that it will end up on my daughter's M93 22mag.

I really like the stainless rifles but I am weird on that I like the scope and rings to match and that limits us with the stainless. In less expensive scopes silver finish is available on Mueller scopes. The APV which is a 4.5-14x40 AO which I have on my Savage Stainless Mark II and is a great all around scope. Then there is their Eraticator which is an 8.5-25x50AO with a illuminated target dot. I have just started a using target dot scope and I like it but I have yet to use it hunting chucks.

OK, I was just rambling and not suggesting you need to replace your scope now or in the future. I think sometimes people might feel I am putting down what they have or are using and I am not. I try to be as respectful to people as possible, especially fellow shooters.

I think one of these days I will buy a thumb hole stainless HMR and get one of the Eraticator scopes to go with it. If nothing else it'll be eye candy.

Keep up the good work Kart

Kart97
    I listen to everyone's opinions and then try to make my decisions based on knowledge. That said... Don't hesitate to give me an opinion.
    I had her out today at 100 yds... I was expecting a few inches of drop from sighting her in at 25 yards so I shot at the top edge of the target... The shot went high. I moved to the center for POA... POI was about 1.5 inches high... By the time I was done I had nailed the elevation... But due to a breeze that was up and down at around 10 mph my groups ended up being about 2 inches wide... I'm happy

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kart97 View Post
    I listen to everyone's opinions and then try to make my decisions based on knowledge. That said... Don't hesitate to give me an opinion.
    I had her out today at 100 yds... I was expecting a few inches of drop from sighting her in at 25 yards so I shot at the top edge of the target... The shot went high. I moved to the center for POA... POI was about 1.5 inches high... By the time I was done I had nailed the elevation... But due to a breeze that was up and down at around 10 mph my groups ended up being about 2 inches wide... I'm happy
    I should have told you it was going to shoot a little high if zero'ed at 25yd. It was probably close to a 150yd zero. sounds like you are doing just fine. Seriously though, Savage makes such a nice rifle reasonably priced and the HMR is usually such a good round that for little money you can have a rim fire rifle that shoots better than most deer hunting rifles.