Thread: Spare Magazines for B Mag

Ed Gordon

Spare Magazines for B Mag

Going to pick up my new B-Mag tomorrow! New to the forum and have a Savage .17HMR model 93 which has been a very accurate and fun to shoot rifle. Put a Sweet 17 scope on it and it works out great.

I would like to get a couple spare magazines for the new .17 WSM. Does anyone know if they are available yet? Also does
    anyone have any scope suggestions? I am considering just putting a fixed 4x on it. It is such a light rifle the 4x would keep weight down and make it nice and portable. Any thoughts on that choice - good/bad or to low power to take advantage of the rifles range?

Basic Member
    I sourced a new BSA 6-24x mil-dot scope for the optics. For a low priced scope, it has proven to be superior to scopes that cost 5x more. The extra magnification and clarity has enabled great range accuracy and the 6x low end is perfect for hunting. No idea when spare mags will be available.

Poor Shot
    Spare B.mag magazines are available from Savage for $21 (at least that's what I paid for them, plus shipping). They are not shown on Savages store page for magazines. You have to call them at 1-800-370-0708 and ask them. I think (but will not swear to) the part number is 90020 for the B.mag magazines.

As for finding ammo.............lotsa luck!

piotrowski
    Gander Mountain and MidwayUSA have been putting up the ammo (Varmit HV, 20 grain) every day for the past couple of days...
    5 limit at Midway; 10 limit at Gander.

I've got ammo now, but am waiting to get off of the waiting list and have the rifle shipped to me. Can't wait...

Thanks for the info on mags... wondering if Savage Customer Service is going to ask for a serial number for the order?

Poor Shot
    Quote Originally Posted by piotrowski View Post
    I've got ammo now, but am waiting to get off of the waiting list and have the rifle shipped to me. Can't wait...

Thanks for the info on mags... wondering if Savage Customer Service is going to ask for a serial number for the order?
    They might but they did not ask me for a serial number. Shipping was by UPS to me.

Ed Gordon
    Thank you for the info! I'll call Savage tomorrow and order a couple spare mags. I picked up my rifle today. Need to get some rings and a scope. I will look at the BSA Irish mentioned. The sweet 17 I have on the model 93 is BSA and I am satisfied with it. Walmart had 9 boxes of ammo so I got 3 boxes yesterday and 3 today (they have a 3 box limit) Hope to get all set up to do some shooting this weekend. I checked it before I signed the paperwork and it does have the extractor!

Ed Gordon
    Poor Shot - Thanks again - I called Savage and ordered two mags. $50 total with shipping to IL.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JG26_Irish View Post
    I sourced a new BSA 6-24x mil-dot scope for the optics. For a low priced scope, it has proven to be superior to scopes that cost 5x more. The extra magnification and clarity has enabled great range accuracy and the 6x low end is perfect for hunting. No idea when spare mags will be available.
    Thank is the same scope I had on my Sav M40. Its not a bad scope at all but I ended up selling it because the coating on my eye glasses conflicted with the scope lens coating and cause issues for me. I was going to keep it as a spare but I got $100 for it used over eBay and the guy is tickled pink with it. I have a Barska 6-24x42AO to go on my 96901 but currently I have a CenterPoint 4-16x40AO/IR on it. Its workable. I have a guy who wants to buy the who thing, rifle, scope, 3 mags & 1000 rounds of ammo. It seems crazy he will pay what I told him. It has me concerned. I already have the FFL info though.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

Ed Gordon
    Picked up a Redfield 3x9 scope for the Bmag and got it mounted today. Weaver medium rings worked out just right. Scope sits low to the barrel and bolt just clears on the eye side. Took only 4 shots to get it hitting close to center at 25 yards. Worked my
    way out 25 yards at a time to 100 yards. My Son has a Savage .22 bolt action with a Sweet 22 scope on it and it is a tack driver even at 100 yards with ammo from the 1980's. We traded of shooting rifles at 100 yards and am really pleased with the new Bmag. The new round is very lethal on 20 oz. soda bottles filled with water!!!! Blows the neck off and rips the bottles to ribbons. Also blows melons up pretty good too. I had no feeding or ejecting problems shooting 85 rounds. Barrel gets a little warm. I haven't had this much fun shooting in years.

On a side note - I am really disappointed folks are unable to find ammunition for their new rifles. Just not right. I don't look at firearms ownership as some privilege it is one of our rights that many of us served to preserve.

n4ue
    Hi, glad to see these rifles getting to market.
    I have a lot of scopes, but the latest has really impressed me it's a Redfield Revenge 6-18 AO. Great match to the rifle and better yet the glass is fantastic.
    Don't buy a Weaver Kaspa. UGGGHH!

ron

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Hi, glad to see these rifles getting to market.
    I have a lot of scopes, but the latest has really impressed me it's a Redfield Revenge 6-18 AO. Great match to the rifle and better yet the glass is fantastic.
    Don't buy a Weaver Kaspa. UGGGHH!

ron
    That is one of the scopes I was considering myself. Doe sit have the range finder feature, if so how does it work?

n4ue
    Hi. Yes, this model does have the 'rangefinder'. I have only used the scope once and that was to zero it. My buddy at work (who is a Redfield fan) looked through it and loved it. The rangefinder was not the reason I bought this model., it was the 6-18 power. I wish it had 2 changes:
    1. side focus. I have replaced most AO scopes with SF models
    2. exposed turrets
    The Revolution scopes are 'touted' to have better glass but do not come in the power range I wanted.

I just received a Mueller 8-32X44mm (30 mm tube). I have other Muellers and enjoy them VERY much. I'll post my 'review' in the optics section, once I get the new, lower rings I ordered.....

ron

Basic Member
    Well when you get to using the range finder let me know how you like it. I don't like normal range finding reticles because for me they are "to busy".

I have one SF scope and I am not totally sold on the feature for the extra money BUT I do like some of the other scopes that just happen to have them. The one thing I do like about the SF scopes is I can use slightly lower rings but when it comes to the 50mm objective scopes I have been getting now and then whether or not it is an AO scope or not really doesn't matter because they are tall rings regardless. My most recent scope is a Barska Excavator 8-32x50 with illuminated target dot. I have said before how I like Barska scopes and for the money it is had to get a scope as clear dollar for dollar in other brands. What I have noticed is at a certain price point Barska takes a jump and the Excavator line is one of those. I also handled a used swat sniper series of theirs, a 10-40x44SF...WOW is all I can say. I am tempted to buy one but they are priced right in line with the Mueller you bought. that is the Evacuator series, right? Let us know how you like it.

n4ue
    Hi. Sorry about the late reply, but I have been waiting on yet another scope, to do an a/b/c/d comparison. The last scope on order, is no longer available (for whatever reason), so I'll just comment on the last couple.......
    I do not hunt anymore, and just punch paper, from a solid, moveable bench at my private 200+ yard range...... Take my 'observations' FWIW......

I am always looking for a good cost/performance ratio with scopes. With my current collection, I could have bought several NF models, but it just wouldn't be as much fun or a challenge. ha ha
    Having said this, I have found that there is truth to the old saying of: "you get what you pay for", in optics. HOWEVER, there are exceptions, and I am always looking for these....
    An example: a couple of years ago, I bought a Fujinon 3.5-10X50mm scope for one of my boss' rifles. It was SO good. I tried to buy more for myself, but alas, they were discontinued. Darn! these are excellent scopes and as well they should be, since Fuji is a major optic mfg. Just stunning clarity, etc.
    Another example, is the $70 scope from Wal Mart, a Center Point, for $70.... Read the hundreds of 'reviews' and draw your own conclusions.. I have several and my shooting buddies preferred it to a BRAND NEW Nikon Monarch!!!!
    I've said it before, but the Chinese are really capable of building first class optics. BUT, they also build to the 'price point'. They can gather the glass from Japan, the tubes from Russia, etc. Yeah, I don't like it, but it is what it is..... Look at most of the "USA" scope companies, their products come from....China.
    OK, so now I have 34+ scopes. Some awful and some excellent. I try to stick with the brands that I like. I have had perfect results from Millett and have more than a few of these. Likewise, Vortex Viper. I have several of the 5-20X50mm models.
    A year or so, I bought a Mueller 8.5-32X50mm 'Excavator' scope. I thought it was excellent. I like the 30mm tube, although it can be kinda 'over the top' on an Axis. (I have a LOT of Axis rifles and just love them!!!, Once they are 'tuned')

Recently, I ordered 4 more 'trial' scopes, to add to the collection. I always try to use a one-piece rail and always leave the rings on the scope. I have several of the Wheeler tools and always try to get the scopes set up to their potential.

Scope #1 was a Redfield Revenge 6-18. I was very, very happy with this scope. NO negatives.
    Scope #2 was a Weaver Kaspa. The best thing about this scope, is that it 'might' be used as a hammer. AWFUL
    Scope #3 was the Mueller 8-32X44mm. I was very, very surprised at the quality of the scope for the cost. (there is a 'review' of this scope on this site). In short, you will NOT be disappointed. I LOVE it!!!!
    Scope #4 was a Nikko-Stirling, which I am having difficulty buying!! Sold out in most places, but should be interesting...

BTW, one of my best cost/performance scopes has proven to be a Hawke. I know it sounds hokey, but these scopes are airgun rated and very, very popular in Europe in airgun matches.

There seems to be a definite quality 'gap' with scopes at around the $250 mark. Stuff below this will, (IMHO) will be suspect. Again, at the $450 level, there will be another plateau. Probably another at the $750 and the $1000 levels, but that's not in my 'universe'... ha ha

Of course, your mileage WILL vary. Just don't forget to have fun, and don't take this hobby too serious!!!!

ron
    GMT2