Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone tried forging the bolt handle

Basic Member

That looks sweet man. What length of barrel do you intend to use in the bullpup design?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-30-2013 at 08:49 PM.

stangfish
    BullPUP Wolfman Bull PUP!

"Bullpen" is probably the least unflattering "bull-" adjective he could've used!

Nice work on the handle and cool project! I'm not a fan of bullpups, but I am always amazed at how people get projects like that to work. Is that an AR magazine too?

daviscustom
    Thanks guys.......it should end up being a 16.5" barrel. Subsonic 458 Socom doesn't really benefit from a longer barrel so OAL on this little thumper is going to be just a little over the 26" minimum.

DrThunder88: yes it is an AR mag and AR mag latch with a redesigned mag release button. Planning to make the forward trigger hardware so that it will accept standard AR pistol grips as well.

Bullpen.....guessing predictive text on his cell phone nailed him on that one and he didn't catch it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    BullPUP Wolfman Bull PUP!
    Auto correct got me again!

daviscustom- make sure you post up final pics of that project, looks pretty sweet!!!

navyman
    Hello sharpshooters correct on his info But the casting was in ceramic molds. This changed the steel to be very pour is and light. if you reheat it I'm sure it will brake. (the bb sized opening ) the ones that were done by phoenix arms are TIG welded on bead blasted and slick coated. There price is not to bad for the work involved. I've had one of 4 bend that I felt good about giving to my customers. the others I welded new ones on. I also sent one to phoenix arms and had them leave it ruff so I could see there process.. They are Good...

stangfish
    I need a smart phone. I misspell everything and can only blame myself. Some of my darling daughters text make no sense to me. She blames it on the phone.

Basic Member
    The sad thing is you spell something correctly and the phone thinks it should be something else so it just changes.

I do try to reread and edit before posting though.

Anyways, back to the thread!

I wanted to know if you got the action screwed down and if the bolt still feels good and solid during operation?

daviscustom
    Yes it feels good to me. I don't doubt what navyman is saying, but in the process of bending and reshaping the bolt handle I never felt or saw any signs of anything giving like it was about to fail. Resistance to bending when it was heated and being reshaped felt pretty constant throughout the process, and during grinding filing and threading I found no signs of pourosity or cracks/seams in the metal. Guess I will see if anything shows up when I beadblast it.

Maybe I got lucky, but I didn't find any flaws in my bolt handle.

That's why I posted this question, I was leery of trying to mess with a cast part like this, but in general the handle was much softer then I expected ( the finish part).... didn't appear to be brittle at all.
    Last edited by daviscustom; 09-09-2013 at 12:56 PM.

navyman
    Great Job!! It may have been just me. I have one in the shop now to move forward now. I'm going to change my gas to natural and see if a cleaner more even heat works better. will post a picture tomarrow

daviscustom
    I was using an acetylene torch and I just clamped it a heavy vise....holding it by the ring where it attaches to the bolt (trying to use the vise as a heat sink to keep from getting that ring too hot). I just heated the spots where it was bent and straightened each bend individually...tried to keep the heat localized to only the area I wanted to change. As I said, I may have gotten lucky and just got a handle that was a good solid casting. I don't think I really did anything special to make it turn out right....that I know of.
    Last edited by daviscustom; 09-09-2013 at 07:50 PM.

navyman
    it may be the castings I had were bad the one I did last night and the savage slug gun I bent this morning worked perfect.

daviscustom
    Good, I was starting to second guess my instincts on mine going well.

Quote Originally Posted by daviscustom View Post
    DrThunder88: yes it is an AR mag and AR mag latch with a redesigned mag release button. Planning to make the forward trigger hardware so that it will accept standard AR pistol grips as well.
    Very nice. I was fooling around to see if a Pmag would fit in an 11, but the opening in the receiver as too narrow. I imagine an Axis' receiver would be a bit more generously proportioned.

daviscustom
    As long as you are using them as a center feed mag they work great. They don't present the cartridge high enough for use with 5.56.

Basic Member
    How is this project coming along? Been long since an update!

daviscustom
    I was going to post an update...but then I thought it would be better to just do a separate thread, since this one is really just about the bolt mod......and it is done until the rest of the project is complete and I am ready for the final finish, or possibly a redesigned knob if needed.

I just haven't gotten around to posting the build thread.....been working on the trigger guard/grip mounting plate and it isn't ready for prime time yet.

Basic Member
    Always interested in seeing work in progress!

daviscustom
    I don't have time tonight, but I will try to get a thread up this week some time. I can show you guys pics of the bullpup stock from walnut plank to it's current form and all the inletting, parts mods, fabricated parts, and the trigger guard I am working on.

I will probably just do a picture thread to get everyone caught up on the project up to this point and if anyone has questions about the pics I can answer them as needed.

The current mind bender I am working on is the forward trigger assembly and the linkage to the rear trigger (the actual trigger on the Axis action). I am trying to fabricate the trigger guard/grip mounting plate so I can move on to the linkage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12