Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hp's don't always chamber correctly

mugsie

Hp's don't always chamber correctly

Anyone else had this problem? When chambering hollow point ammo, it jams on the feed ramp, forcing it will drive the bullet into the chamber. I thought it was because of the length, but tried loading some to the col specs in my Speer manual, and they jam too. All other ammo loads fine, it seems to happen only with HP's.
    Any ideas? Anyone else having this issue?

I am going to be following this one closely, this is definitely a new one for me, sorry if I am no help, but am always willing to learn.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    I have not, what magazine type do you have? Almost seems like your magazine is tilted or the follower is hanging.

I have seen the follower in backwards, but it loaded all bullets poorly not just HPs.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I had to Dremel a wee bit of a bevel where the HP's would bump the edge of the barrel on the way in & stop dead. It only did it with HP's - never with Nosler BT's of any other tilled bullet.

The copper colored mark where it was hitting made it an easy fix.

Don't know if this helps but thought it was worth a shot. Let us know...
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

mugsie
    Fgw_in_fla, that's what I was thinking too, maybe a little dremmeling? How did that work for you?

The follower isn't in backwards, it will only go in one way. It's a really frustrating problem because I go to quickly chamber another round and "donk" it slams to a stop forcing me to move my head from the stock and fiddle with the round to get it loaded.

stangfish
    Got pictures?

Basic Member
    I used the Dremel to cut just a wee bit if a bevel right where I saw the copper mark. Mine only did it when chambering slowly. If I was shooting rapid succession, the cartridge would jump right over it.
    Just take your time & remember - the metal you're cutting is very hard. Cut slow, add a little oil to remove heat & chips, clean THOROUGHLY, inspect, chamber a few dummy rounds and then off to the range.

Also, if you ever change the barrel to a different action the chance of it lining up perfectly are pretty slim. Not that it's of any consequence. You just might have to cut another small bevel.

mugsie
    I'm thinking the mag was put in 180 degrees out when it was bedded. The follower has a cutout on one side which rides up and down on a ridge in the mag. Looking from the stock to the barrel, in shooting position, is the cutout on the left or the right? The follower also has two bevels on it, a small bevel and a longer bevel, or ramp. On this rifle, the longer sloped bevel is at the rear, towards the stock. I think this is incorrect, but the only way this can happen is if the mag was inserted backwards. Where should the cutout be?

davemuzz
    I had that same issue on my Model 25 in .17 Hornet. The .17 Hornady's would feed just fine, but when it came to the .17 Berger's, the Berger's didn't have the polymer tip and had the small hollow point. So, it was just that little "blunt point" that would jam into the action on the M-25 (not the barrel....but the same theory). What I did to correct it was I took a small file and just a few strokes at a time on each side of the magazine feed lips (underside of mag feed lips) shave off a little of the plastic. (I'm sure you are working with metal on the "big boy" rifle.) It didn't take much to get the angle right for the Berger's to then just miss the "the wall."

You may want to look at doing a little filing on the feed lips.....as I read on another forum where an old Gunsmith posted.....Work on the cheap part first.....if you screw that up, $10 is a lot less than the $300 barrel.

Just saying.....

Dave

Basic Member
    I like Dave's way of thinking. I guess I forgot the first rule of trouble shooting....
    Go for the obvious first. 99% of the time it's right there.

The file thing is a good idea, too. Less chance of screwing up a perfectly good barrel. If you can get it to where it needs to be, of course.

Dave's way of thinking, is known as occam's trigger.LOL

Spanky

Basic Member
    Occam's Trigger?...

Pretty funny. I like that.

Man I had the same on my .223 and was told to tweak the mag a bit. It helped but the issue wasn't completely fixed. Something about the feeding being too high..... Was a pain in the bottom!

Although I would hate passing up any chance to use a grinder.

Spanky

Basic Member
    A slight change in seating depth might help. Some of the hp's run longer and could hit the breech face before tipping up. Had that with Hornady .257s in 120 hp.

Basic Member
    I had similar problem when I changed over to a CDI dbm and it was necessary to file the lever which holds the mag in place such that the mag was lower in the receiver. Try bending the lips or making a spacer to lower the presentation of the bullet to the chamber.

Basic Member
    Sounding more & more like going after the lesser of two evils.

A little magazine feed lip tweaking may be the order of the day.

What no grinding.

You Fun Kill

Spanky

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    What no grinding.

You Fun Kill

Spanky
    Hey my Brother from another mother,
    If you need to grind, grind away my boy, grind away....

Far be it from me to EVER prevent or discourage another man from using the power tools.

davemuzz
    You can screw up more stuff in 3 seconds with a dremmel than anything else on the planet. Except maybe when a woman ask if this makes her look fat and you provide the wrong answer.

Dave

Basic Member
    C'mon Dave..... Have a little faith.

And NEVER and I mean NEVER EVER indicate a woman looks fat in a certain outfit.
    After 4 or 5 marriages I thought I understood the female mind.
    I don't.
    No one can.
    Just when you think the next pitch is fastball, they throw ya the slider.... Or worse yet, the terminator!

mugsie
    Well, I read the issues, took out the rifle and watched it as I slowly closed the bolt. On a HP, proper COL, the bullet point strikes just below the opening in the breach face and stops. No amount of forcing will get it to move. Doesn't always happen, but enough to be frustrating.

I called Savage and spoke to them - had some girl on the phone that was very plesent and said maybe it's the follower with not enough spring tension. I said I already shimmed the follower spring but maybe not enough? I asked if I had to order one or could they just send me one. She initially said they needed to be ordered, but then said "ya know, let me just send you one and maybe that'll fix the problem" Hey! I can't argue with that! Great customer service. So now I wait and when it arrives I'll give that one a try. Here's hoping it solves the problem.

Basic Member
    Guess I got lucky! My Axis .308 loads the Nosler BTHP's without any issues. I put the first 110 rounds through her last Saturday.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    I thought I understood the female mind.
    I don't.
    No one can.
    It doesn't matter if it's your first 5 marriages, or your first 25. Understanding the female mind....you would be like an Enstine. You could write a book....like a translation book....and make a million!!!

BTW....I do get a bit nervous grinding on the chamber. It has a way of giving the cartridge a little less support. But then, maybe that's because I have a way of putting in a little more powder than the book tells me too?

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast