Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .308Win. Starter reloading kits.

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    That's not an affliction, Therm.

That's called AGE....

We all go thru it eventually. I'm going thru "manopause" myself.
    We look to our guns, reloading, hunting & hoarding for that satisfaction we once knew.
    Jeez--you almost made me throw up my breakfast from laughing so hard. : )
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Yeah, I know....
    Sometimes, just sometimes the truth is funny.

I can hear my arthritis laughing now, in fact...
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Yeah, I know....
    Sometimes, just sometimes the truth is funny.

I can hear my arthritis laughing now, in fact...
    As a friend tells me when we start talking:

"You think YOU got problems!"

Funny this question of primers came up--I went out and tested some home-rolled 300 win mags this afternoon and used federal 215 large magnum rifle primers and had my first failure to fire ever--the primer was hit good and hard but did not ignite.

Basic Member
    Well broke down and dipped into savings, 8lbs of IMR 4064, 2000ct CCI #200 Primers, and bought 300 of the 175gr Nosler Custom Comp Bullets.

I took the double HAZMAT fee this time, but sometimes in order to get started you just have to bite the bullet

Basic Member
    Nice! That has been what has been holding me back is the double hazmat since nobody has had primers and powder at the same time.

Basic Member
    Ya I compared all the components to purchasing 300 rounds of factory and the price was not much different honestly. In fact with only having to purchase bullets after that for some time it's quite a bit cheaper!

Basic Member
    Here's where the justification comes in....

No matter what you pay for components, always tell yourself (or wife) - "You can't buy ammo this accurate"...

Looks like you're well on your way to being a full fledged OCD addict reloader.

Here's where the justification comes in....

No matter what you pay for components, always tell yourself (or wife) - "You can't buy ammo this accurate"...

Looks like you're well on your way to being a full fledged OCD addict reloader.
    Once you've drunk the koolaid--there's no turning back : )

Basic Member
    Either drank to Kool-Aid or snorted the propellant.

Basic Member
    Figured I'd continue in this thread. Just loaded my first 20rds this evening. CCI #200 Primers, Federal Brass, 175gr Nosler Custom Comp, and 42grs of IMR 4064. Although I don't really trust the beam scale and have already order an electronic scale. I think I'll see some vertical stringing for sure, but I'm up and running and loads can only get better!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Figured I'd continue in this thread. Just loaded my first 20rds this evening. CCI #200 Primers, Federal Brass, 175gr Nosler Custom Comp, and 42grs of IMR 4064. Although I don't really trust the beam scale and have already order an electronic scale. I think I'll see some vertical stringing for sure, but I'm up and running and loads can only get better!
    I just started myself. I've been told the beam scales are more accurate than the electronics.

Good selection for your first load--you want to "spread out" your powder weights in order to find your particular rifle's sweet spot (and check for pressure signs as you work your way up). Balance beam scales can be slow and tedious--but I've found digital scales to vary unpredictably for odd reasons--maybe they get flakey as the batteries get weak or magnetic interference--I don't know. Take pics and show off your results (assuming you survive) LOL

Basic Member
    Ya I just did straight 42grs for all of these. I shot factory loads that were pretty weak and stuff that was loaded pretty hot. I also used some handloads that were loaded up to 44grs of the IMR4064 with the 175 SMK's, but he was using Lapua Brass. I'm using once fired Federal brass, so I figured 42grs is a good place to start.

Ya I just did straight 42grs for all of these. I shot factory loads that were pretty weak and stuff that was loaded pretty hot. I also used some handloads that were loaded up to 44grs of the IMR4064 with the 175 SMK's, but he was using Lapua Brass. I'm using once fired Federal brass, so I figured 42grs is a good place to start.
    You cannot possibly earn your reloader's OCD merit badge with just one charge weight! : ) You went to all the trouble to build those 1000 yd match rifles--you owe it to them to painstakingly stalk the best load for them! : ) What you're attempting is a hole-in-one shot your first time swinging a golf club--possible, but highly unlikely. : )

Basic Member
    I never said I'd stop there! Unfortunately, I'm also limited to the next month to play with this before I run into an extended break as I've been called up to go forward once again.

I never said I'd stop there! Unfortunately, I'm also limited to the next month to play with this before I run into an extended break as I've been called up to go forward once again.
    But doing ladder tests is half the fun--maybe all the fun--in doing hand-loads to begin with--we OCD club members want to be sure you lead a happy, well-adjusted reloading obsession. : ) It's literally hunting for your best shot.

Basic Member
    definiately work up a ladder test i run 5 rnds each in .5 increments shoot 1st ladder test then wait and do it again to make sure if there is something that stands out then a shoot a 3 shot group to verify the rest i pull and start over.

ocd never thought of it that way been out of work for 2 days going on the 3rd today (weather) been in my gun room reloading match rounds for this months flcass match so i have reloaded 150 223's , 100 308's and 100 6.5 creedmoor today will be another 100 308's (for my 2nd 308) make some 6.5 creedmoor out of 308 brass then to check concentricity of all the ones i loaded . i always new i was anal about my reloading sorting cases,bullets by ogive then trimming and annealing the cases after a good cleaning (got to have purtty brass).

Quote Originally Posted by lal357 View Post
    definiately work up a ladder test i run 5 rnds each in .5 increments shoot 1st ladder test then wait and do it again to make sure if there is something that stands out then a shoot a 3 shot group to verify the rest i pull and start over.

ocd never thought of it that way been out of work for 2 days going on the 3rd today (weather) been in my gun room reloading match rounds for this months flcass match so i have reloaded 150 223's , 100 308's and 100 6.5 creedmoor today will be another 100 308's (for my 2nd 308) make some 6.5 creedmoor out of 308 brass then to check concentricity of all the ones i loaded . i always new i was anal about my reloading sorting cases,bullets by ogive then trimming and annealing the cases after a good cleaning (got to have purtty brass).
    Several hundred at a time? You are OCD hand-load jedi master! : ) The force is definitely with you (and money and supplies, LOL)

Basic Member
    Not really I shoot both ft/r and f open the wife shoots f t/r and son shoots f t/r we also have a unsanctioned class f-un anything under a 50bmg in it I shoot either a muzzle braked 308 or a target ar-15 so we go thru a lot of bullets. People say I'm a hoarder but they don't realize how many rounds I go thru .just finish 50 308's for the muzzle brake savage now it's time to deprime and clean some more......oh and today is pistol day too.lol

Sent from my HP 7 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    i reload in stages i'm done throwing powder right now so it case prep and claening time i'll clean the brass in an ultra sonic cleaner then tumble in wamnut meada for a bit to dry then bag and put in a ammo can then take some out to resize , trim, and anneal if needed prime if not put in a bag and drop in a ammo can (got lots of them thats how i sepereate calibers). at any given time i have some ready to drop powder and seat the bullet (i sort the heads and keep them in storgae boxes with a small paper with the size (hate the bullet sorting stage).

Team Savage
    Thanks for your service and trust your training and Instincts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123