Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .308Win. Starter reloading kits.

I don't like how the regular Lee turret punches out the primers. They go all over the place. The classic turret's ram is hollow and you can either position a trash can under the press or put a tube to catch the primers.

I have very few complaints about the Lee Turret, but this is one of them. If I was doing it over again, I would pay the extra little bit for the Classic turret so I wouldn't have to spend so much time finding spent primers and cleaning up primer residue from the floor and table.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member
    So after all this time I decided to finally pick up the Lee Precision Anniversary Reloading Kit to start down this path. I will definitely expand down the road, but for now this gets me moving. Next month I'll have to start ordering components, but at least i can prep all my brass until then!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    You won't regret your decision, Sarge.
    I started out with a Lee kit back when they were $69. I still have & use most of the components.

A few tools / odds & ends and soon, ahhhhh yes, soon you'll be as OCD as the rest of us.
    I knew it was going to happen. Just a question of time. The Axis re-barreling was the giveaway....

Happy OCD... I mean reloading.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Ya I've been looking at the price of piecing a kit together and in the long run this will get me learning and shooting my own loads sooner rather than later. At least I managed to pick up a set of new/used Lee Collet 308 dies for a great deal a month or so back. Missed out on a small stash of 175SMK's that were in the classifieds though for a great price.

might have to take a break from shooting until I can get all the components in, but if i get an 8lbs can of IMR 4064 I should be good for quite awhile.

Basic Member
    Keep an eyeball on Midway for bullets. I get my regular stash shipments from them. 30 cal is my heaviest usage. Also, Natchez has has IMR4064 on a regular basis.

Of course, the hazmat fee makes it expensive to buy one pound but it's not too awfully bad if you buy 6 - 8 lbs at a clip.

Best way to start your learning process. A nice inexpensive reload set up. I used mine for about 3 months before I started adding to it. Interesting point: If I weigh out 40.4gr on the Lee scale it exactly the same as on my RCBS scale. Even pistol charges like 3 -4gr are exactly the same on both scales. Just don't knock the scale off the bench I did one day. It was never the same & one of the guys here hooked me up with an old Lee scale he had. I damaged the beam & it never worked right again.

Basic Member
    If your in San Diego county the sheriff has crapped on all the reloaders by only allowing gun shops to have #30 of powder on hand which basically means no #8. Powder valley has been getting 4064 about every other week. I haven't gotten any since they haven't had primers and powder at the same time.

Basic Member
    Say what?!?!?
    The county sheriff dictating what shops can sell? What's his name? Does it begin with Adolf?

I'm glad our local sheriff is pro -gun / 2nd Amend.
    It's bad enough powder & primers are in short supply without some jack booted thug making it even harder.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Say what?!?!?
    The county sheriff dictating what shops can sell? What's his name? Does it begin with Adolf?

I'm glad our local sheriff is pro -gun / 2nd Amend.
    It's bad enough powder & primers are in short supply without some jack booted thug making it even harder.
    He was pretty much that. Funny part is San Diego is fairly right wing. He called it a fire hazard..... But the fertilizer places could have 1000's of tons of ammonia nitrate.... There was a powder supplier in Fontana that when they could get stuff you could go get it. There was a group at Escondido rod and gun club that would make regular trips up there. When I was still there I went on a run and I bet we had over #1000 in powder and primers.

Maybe they've run out of things to do since increasingly they don't bust people for drugs?
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Worse case scenario, we might have to get Sarge hooked up from our stashes. After all, we are enablers....

Won't be long & he'll be at the Reloader's OCD meeting with us. By the way, where's the meeting this week?

I just loaded a few dozen Audette test rounds in 300 win mag and I swear it cost 3 times as much as factory stuff. It might be cheaper to start buying factory and disassemble it?

Has anyone tried reloading with powder from fireworks?

Basic Member
    Powder from fireworks?....
    Hmmmm...

You may be on to something there. I have a big box of leftover stuff from the 4th. I'll get back to you.

Basic Member
    Powder from fireworks?....
    Hmmmm...

You may be on to something there. I have a big box of leftover stuff from the 4th. I'll get back to you.
    Frank you need to change your signature to a disclaimer!

I appreciate it guys. I can find 8 pounders of IMR 4046, I just can't find primers at the same place to avoid a double HAZMAT fee. The local shops around here can be iffy when you're not a regular local! So even with ammo I buy online. A shop in town I stopped at was selling the FGMM for like $50 a box of 20. usually around $35 or so online. I could probably get away with just reloading for F-class matches. The steal matches I seem to get away with the Factory stuff.

I never did get this hazmat thing--I don't recall paying one for primers--and of all the components for reloading they seem to the easiest to find; hoarding them doesn't make sense if'n you don't have powder or boolits.

If you anticipate going long with 308 I can't see how you can NOT load your own.

Basic Member
    While I have your attention can someone explain how diffrent Primers will affect the load?

You mean magnum LR vs regular LR? Usually it's the type of powder load you're using that determines the type of primer. I've never used magnums on 308 due to relatively moderate charge size--but some like to use them with any size load if using spherical powders. I use whatever the load manuals recommend.

Basic Member
    Ok just trying to verify if any large rifle primer will work (due to availability) or if I require a specific type of LR Primer.

For the 308 any standard large rifle primer should work just fine. Magnums are unnecessary as the case size doesn't hold enough powder to warrant it, however if all you can find are magnums they will work. If you work up a load using standard primers, you will want to back off on your charge if you switch to magnums. I have found that Winchester LR and Fed 210s interchange fine with no worries in the 308.

All that said, it is a wise idea that anytime you change one of your components for a worked up load that you back of your charge and work back up just to be safe in the event that the change raises your pressures for some reason.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Ok just trying to verify if any large rifle primer will work (due to availability) or if I require a specific type of LR Primer.
    Have a look on page 57 of Lymans 49th...
    There's a chart with different primers used in the exact same loaded cartridge. It shows a difference of about 37fps between all the primers tested. Standard LR primers - not magnum.
    The couple times I ran known accurate loads with either a Rem9.5, CCI or WLR primer, I didn't see any noticeable difference in accuracy. I did notice Rem had the most FTF, Win occasionally burned thru the back of the cup & CCI have never failed me.
    Hence, my cabinet is stocked mostly with CCI 200 and a few odd boxes of WLR & Rem 9-1/2's....

emtrescue6
    As others have already posted, any LR primer should get the job done for you...I've always had reliable performance with CCI 200, WIN LR and FED201M's in my 308's...

Hello, my name is CJ and I am a primer, powder, brass and bullet hoarder...

Basic Member
    Meetings are Wednesday night, CJ.....
    Then you can introduce yourself to the group & say your piece about your particular addiction, neuroses, or any other OCD you may have....

emtrescue6
    Meetings are Wednesday night, CJ.....
    Then you can introduce yourself to the group & say your piece about your particular addiction, neuroses, or any other OCD you may have....
    How's it even possible to get all that into 1 evening? LOL

Basic Member
    Meeting starts Wednesday night...

Ends Thursday afternoon. We have a lot of members.

My name is MF and I am a primer, powder, brass and bullet hoarder too...

I also lust after good-looking/shooting weapons more than good-lookin women.

What should I do?

Basic Member
    That's not an affliction, Therm.

That's called AGE....

We all go thru it eventually. I'm going thru "manopause" myself.
    We look to our guns, reloading, hunting & hoarding for that satisfaction we once knew.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast