Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .308Win. Starter reloading kits.

Basic Member

.308Win. Starter reloading kits.

Would like to know what reloading starter kits are good to start with for reloading 308Win.

Was looking at some of the kits on amazon, I'm not even sure which ones have everything that's required.

Would like some input from the experienced reloaded on what they started with.

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-02-2013 at 06:38 PM.

stangfish
    What is your price range? Some kits have good stuff in them some are pretty cheap after the press. If you have a number in mind you can forgo a kit and get what you need, possibly even used or sans all the throw away stuff.

The Items you will need for certain(Not to mention powder, primers and boolits):

Press
    Dies
    Scale
    Powder scoops/spoons
    Powder Funnel
    Powder Trickler
    Reloading Tray
    Priming Tool(hand press)
    Reloading Manual

At some point in the near future:
    Dial Calipers
    Case Trimmer
    Powder Throw
    ID/OD Chamfer Tooling
    Primer Pocket Uniformer
    Flash Hole Debur Tool
    Headspace Gauge
    Stoney point or Ogive Dimension Inspection Tool

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I started with one of these back when they only cost $79. Over the years I've added better scales, another press (Lee Turret), all kinds of goodies.
    Welcome to your next addiction. After you own at least 3 Savage rifles & reload you'll be what's known as Savage Addict / Reloading OCD. Meetings are held every Thusday. Stang usually moderates since he has a degree in addiction treatment.
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...&prodTitle=Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Oh, and a word on calipers. Digital is nice but analog will never run out of batteries....
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    The Lee kit was one I was viewing. I don't like to be real cheap, but a good starter kit to get the hang of things and figure out how far I want to go down this rabbit hole. I'll most likely get sucked right down it though lol.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-02-2013 at 08:02 PM.

stangfish
    You never said your budget.

As far as Lee goes, the classic cast is good to go.As good as anyone elses or close to it. Some of the other component are ify. Bottom line is that if you go the dirt cheap lee kit there is the possibility you will replace everything within a year.

The Lee anniversary kit has about everything you'll need except caliber specific items like dies and a case length gauge. Their equipment though less expensive than most is quite good and loads some really good ammo.
    I would also recommend Modern reloading by Richard Lee as a very good manual to start with. If you read it all from the beginning up to the load data you will have a pretty good grasp of the fundamentals and should be ready to start reloading. I would also recommend their deluxe die set. It comes with a neck sizing die that sure makes things easy as case lube is not required when using it.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I bought one of the lee breech lock kits. I really like the breech lock feature. There powder dispenser for it being kinda cheap works pretty well.

The scale sucks. I do have a old ohaus 10 10 and my ohaus digital.

Good calipers make it nice. I have mitutoyo analog and a digital. And I use comparators that I made.

I am using lee dies, with no complaints

I use the lee zip trim that goes into the press and it works great.

Basic Member
    Sounds good for the Lee kit, now if I jump into the higher price category of some like the RCBS rock chucker supreme master reloading kit. Is it going to be that much of a higher quality and how does the higher quality ease the process?

MacDR
    Lee kit is an inexpensive start and you will keep most of it. Deluxe dies and case length gauge and cutter and you are good to go as mentioned above. Calpers, digital or manual are needed. The Lee book is a good read and will steer you in a safe direction. Lyman and Hornady also publish good manuals. I am not familar with others so can't comment on them.

masterblaster
    I' ve used Lee for almost 30 years now and am just starting to get fancy (lazy), I got the WFT trimmer, RCBS Chargemaster and the lock n load bushing set from Hornady as it fits in my old lee classic single stage press. Read the loading manuals, use youtube and the forum when you have a question.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Sounds good for the Lee kit, now if I jump into the higher price category of some like the RCBS rock chucker supreme master reloading kit. Is it going to be that much of a higher quality and how does the higher quality ease the process?

In my opinion... It wont.
    Nothing against RCBS or any of the others but just not enough difference in performance to justify the added expense for a starter or hobbyist reloader..
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I just started hand-loading just over a year ago, and the Lee kit is a good starter one--especially since when starting out I didn't have a clue what all the stuff was needed. You can always use other folk's higher quality dies and then get a better press. The main thing about the Lee is that it's rather slow--but it does get the job done. 308 is the perfect caliber to start with too IMO.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    That's why I chambered for a round with decades of data! Looks like I'll be investing in the Lee kit in a little while. Love the honest insight from this forum.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-02-2013 at 09:20 PM.

stangfish
    Is it going to be that much of a higher quality and how does the higher quality ease the process?
    Knowledge and tools ease the process of accuracy. To go from factory ammo to reloading opens your eyes. It becomes one or the other of necessary evil or constant quest for perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    The Lee anniversary kit has about everything you'll need except caliber specific items like dies and a case length gauge. Their equipment though less expensive than most is quite good and loads some really good ammo.
    I would also recommend Modern reloading by Richard Lee as a very good manual to start with. If you read it all from the beginning up to the load data you will have a pretty good grasp of the fundamentals and should be ready to start reloading. I would also recommend their deluxe die set. It comes with a neck sizing die that sure makes things easy as case lube is not required when using it.
    +1 with all of that. To add to what big honkin jeep said, using the Neck sizing die (called the Lee Collet Die) will also help extend your brass life and adds accuracy in my experience over Full Length sizing each loading.

Something you may want to consider is going with one of the Lee kits that includes a Turret Press rather than a single stage press. I started with a Lee single stage kit and later on upgraded to a Lee turret press. You can run the press as a single stage or progressively if you wish, and as you add calibers to your reloading inventory you can use the interchangeable turret heads to ease your switch from one caliber to another.

I started with Lee and have had no regrets with the brand choice. I only wish I would have started with the turret press. It would have saved me money having to upgrade later, and that's money I could have used to buy more boolits, powder, and primers.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Sitting Duck
    Don't be afraid to pursue a used setup. All of the big names work well, it seams. It doesn't get simpler than a single stage press, beam scales, and almost anybodies dies. Most of this equipment, even used, will outlast you. Leaves money for powder, bullets, primers, and fancy cartridge headspace guages, etc.

Basic Member
    I'm not afraid to buy used I just don't want to try and piece together a kit from random used gear. I kind of have to jump into things from the get go.

I learned that lesson a long time ago when I wanted to play guitar and my mom said I had to learn piano first. Piano wasn't interesting enough and I got bored quit and never learned how to play guitar.

With most of these types of things it's best to start off with all the right tools (even if they aren't the best) to avoid the frustration of missing something required to get the job done properly.

Basic Member
    The Lee kit works really well. I will say that the powder measure is great with stick powder, but binds with ball powder (at least mine does). The scale is a bit odd compared to most, but it works well. As said above a dial or digital caliper is a necessary add on. Lots of folks seem to overlook case trimming. The Lee system when chucked into a cordless drill works really well. Buy the pilot and shell holder combo and you are good to go.

The best part is--you no longer have to go to the store and say "****it, no more ammo available!" (instead, you get to say "****it, no powder/bullets/cases available!"). Your worst enemy when stalking supplies is other reloaders. : )
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Lol I have to order online as it is in Cali. Would imagine reloading to be the same for me. To make things worst trying to find ammo out in town I have to deal with like 50,000+ other Marines that live in the area.

LW make friends with the Armorer or the range officer on base. Nobody has more amo than them.
    I started over 30 years ago with the RCBS kit everything I needed to start was in the kit, only thing I had to get was components. I still use the same stuff plus alot of extras I picked up over the years, but don't really have to have because the basic kit will do it.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    +1 on what Boots said. The Lee turret is a good way to jump in with both feet. Start it as a single stage and just move each station around. When you're ready, you can convert it to a progressive. And you can set up a different caliber by changing out the turret. Initial setup can be a little finicky, but there's lots of tips online (trust me - start by reading and watching YouTube videos. You'll save a lot a frustration and expensive therapy sessions).

Midway had good deals on the whole setup with a set of dies for around $200, but that was before Western Civilization lost its collective mind and started hoarding all things gun.

and I forgot to add, If you get the turret press from Lee, remove the indexing rod unit and turn the turret by hand. That way you can run as a single stage, or just rotate the turret by hand to go progressive. It runs tons smoother this way and you will be happier in the end.

Good luck no matter which way you go.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Hi Lonewolf,

I bought the Lee kit about 3 years ago and have loaded around 2,500 of .308. I upgraded to the Frankford digital scale which sped up my reloading process incredibly, replaced the Lee chamfer tool with RCBS, and added the Redding powder trickler. I also use the .308 Lee Collet Die. I'm planning on using Wilson dies and arbor press in the future when I have some extra funds.

Over all I've been very happy with the press, which functions just like new, the powder thrower dumps Rel. 15 right on the money, but had a little problem with the cover for the auto prime, the tabs eventually broke off but to me I could care less, it still functions great and I can get a good feel seating the primer. Lee scale works great, it will indicate 1 kernal of Varget. I wanted something faster than the beam and have been happy with the Frankford scale so far.

You'l love reloading it's very rewarding.

Dan
    Last edited by DanSavage; 09-03-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast