Thread: .308 ammo

new hunter

.308 ammo

I'm new to hunting and I live in Cali where I have to hunt with lead free ammo. Is it better to learn to load my own or buy from the store at $50+ a box of 20. Or does anyone know of a place or person who sells them for a better price for more??
    Last edited by thomae; 01-29-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Aaak! couldn't take the spellink any more!

Basic Member
    As a fellow Cali, I feel your pain. I see some Barnes TTSX at MidSouth for $36 using one of the ammo bots. Learning to load your own is never a bad idea, but considering the cost of the initial investment, you'd better do a lot of shooting.

new hunter
    What part of Cali. Jbjh

Basic Member
    Los Angeles area.

Basic Member
    Whether to reload or not is more about volume. If you shoot a box or two a year, maybe reloading isn't necessary. But if you shoot a lot, reloading will pay for itself fairly soon. I can reload most rifle ammo for about half the price of factory ammo assuming I have once fired brass in hand. Pistol ammo using cast bullets is even more cost effective. Keep in mind that buying the basic equipment and components will set you back about $200 or more for one caliber. it gets better after than since you only need dies and components.

Basic Member
    Best thing to do is hookup with a reloader

new hunter
    Thanks I think I will just stick to the gun store lol way to much time for all that.

Basic Member
    i agree hook up with a reloader i reload for some of my friends the only thing i tell them if i dont have the dies they buy them and i get to keep the dies for my troubles and they buy there own components. it works out good for most since i have lots of range brass and even if its new after the first firing it concidered free brass since the cost is zero after the first loading .

9. 01-29-2014, 12:36 PM
    Reason
    Infraction issued - FS, WTB, WTT Post Outside of Classifieds

Basic Member
    Any reloader with good sense doesn't want to go down the road of selling ammo because it opens the door on a whole nother set of problems with liability issues unless they get the insurance and manufacturing licenses and permits. la357 has the right ideal as it can be done as a favor but still leaves room for lawsuit if something went wrong even if it was not completely his fault. You can start loading cheap with a lee loader setup and break even depending on how much you shoot in less than a year easily.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    couldnt do it for you new hunter i'm in alabama and dont mail. one thing i also do is get what ever they are using and load for thier gun (2 are savages i built ) i load for accuracy not velocity it takes alittle lomger but the results are better.