Thread: .308 long range scope??

pol6320

.308 long range scope??

Hello everyone,
    This Christmas, my wonderful girlfriend got me a new Savage 308 12fvss. I have wanted to get into long range shooting for a while, and she must have been listening ;D. It is now time to purchase a scope.

I want to start shooting at 300 yards (which I have before), and eventually work up to 1,000 yards. I want to make a onetime purchase on a scope. I know that I want 1/8 MOA adjustments, at least 20x within a variable scope, and enough MOA adjustments to one day reach out to 800-1,000 yards. What do you recommend? I am willing to spend up to $800.

I have been driving myself crazy looking for all of these features, without any luck. I would appreciate any input or advice!!!

Senderofan

Re: .308 long range scope??

For the $800......I purchased a new Sightron SIII 8-32X for my son's new rifle...was on sale for $699. I think the Bushnell Elite 6500 is also in that category. Also...you could probably find a used scope in that price range. On one of my rifles I have a NightForce BR model in 8-32x....that line has 1/8th clicks...perhaps you might find a used one for the $800? I'm not sure what you're planning on shooting at 800-1000 yards?? i.e. paper or critters? I've done prarie dogs out to 850 yards....and used all 32X on my NightForce.

Good Luck....There are some options out there for you...you just might have to do a little searching is all.

Wayne

hotbrass

What load are you shooting?

How much is the bullet drop at 1000yds?

Have you calculated how much adjustment you will need?

Have you looked at scopes that advertise long range and looked at the eleveation range of adjustment?

Have you considered that you may need purchase a base with slope to compensate for the elevation you will need?

Senderofan

Quote Originally Posted by hotbrass
    What load are you shooting?

How much is the bullet drop at 1000yds?

Have you calculated how much adjustment you will need?

Have you looked at scopes that advertise long range and looked at the eleveation range of adjustment?

Have you considered that you may need purchase a base with slope to compensate for the elevation you will need?
    All very, very excellent points!!! I should state that all my rigs have 20 m.o.a canted bases...just for the reasons pd6320 listed.

Wayne

+1 on the SIII 8-32... for $700 you wont find a better scope IMO. If you want to save some money you could get a Vortex Viper 6.2-20x50 for around $460. I have both and they are both very good scopes. The extra power of the SIII is nice though.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

dcloco

Leupold VX3 or VX - iii LRT models (with turrets). One resides on my 22/6mm AI. If I had the cash, these would be on ALL of my rifles (not kidding).

My second choice....a fixed 16 power Leupold with mildots of the MOA/MOA flavor or MIL/MIL if you can use meters.

Senderofan

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    +1 on the SIII 8-32... for $700 you wont find a better scope IMO. If you want to save some money you could get a Vortex Viper 6.2-20x50 for around $460. I have both and they are both very good scopes. The extra power of the SIII is nice though.
    Yeah...I forgot about the Viper. My buddy put one on his AR....Really nice scope for the money. Would not hesitate to buy one...except I needed more top end magnification for paper punching at 1000 yards.

Wayne

pol6320

Thank you very much for the replies! I was not expecting so many in that little of time.

I have not shot the rifle yet. I have several loads in mind, in which I calculated 30-40 MOA to reach out there. Like I said I am new to all of this, and would like to make a one time purchase on a scope. Regardless of which load I choose, I want to know that my scope is capable of reaching out there, and then can still be turned down to hold a zero at 100. I would hate to spend $800 dollars and when I am ready to try and reach out there, my scope is not capable. I plan on shooting little critters and paper.

Knowing that I need roughly 40 MOA, I need a scope with 80 MOA of adjustments on a 0 MOA base, a 60 MOA with 10 MOA bases, or a 40 MOA with 20 MOA bases. I just looked at the Sightron SIIB SS 6.5x20x50D, it has 1/4 MOA adjustments. I see this a lot in the higher power scopes. Is having 1/4 MOA vs 1/8 MOA adjustments that big of a deal? Do you recommend one over another? If using 1/4 MOA adjustments is fine, I will have a lot more options in purchasing a scope within my budget.

Also, I prefer a variable power vs a fixed.

Thank you again for all of your comments. I know that I might be over analyzing this scope purchase.

hotbrass

I like 1/4 because it takes less clicks to get there. After you consider all the variables at long distance, you will find that 1/4 is a fine enough adjustment.

YMMV.

Lefty Savage

Check out the WoTac 4-14x50. I know you said you wanted 20X power, but 14 is plenty also. They about 85 MOA of internal adjustment and a 2 MOA hash mark style ranging recticle. VERY nice scope for $330.

hotbrass

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Savage
    Check out the WoTac 4-14x50. I know you said you wanted 20X power, but 14 is plenty also. They about 85 MOA of internal adjustment and a 2 MOA hash mark style ranging recticle. VERY nice scope for $330.
    Never heard of them before. Who makes them?

Lefty Savage

hotbrass

Thanks. Been there. No info. I wrote them and asked.

Senderofan

Quote Originally Posted by pol6320
    Thank you very much for the replies! I was not expecting so many in that little of time.

I have not shot the rifle yet. I have several loads in mind, in which I calculated 30-40 MOA to reach out there. Like I said I am new to all of this, and would like to make a one time purchase on a scope. Regardless of which load I choose, I want to know that my scope is capable of reaching out there, and then can still be turned down to hold a zero at 100. I would hate to spend $800 dollars and when I am ready to try and reach out there, my scope is not capable. I plan on shooting little critters and paper.

Knowing that I need roughly 40 MOA, I need a scope with 80 MOA of adjustments on a 0 MOA base, a 60 MOA with 10 MOA bases, or a 40 MOA with 20 MOA bases. I just looked at the Sightron SIIB SS 6.5x20x50D, it has 1/4 MOA adjustments. I see this a lot in the higher power scopes. Is having 1/4 MOA vs 1/8 MOA adjustments that big of a deal? Do you recommend one over another? If using 1/4 MOA adjustments is fine, I will have a lot more options in purchasing a scope within my budget.

Also, I prefer a variable power vs a fixed.

Thank you again for all of your comments. I know that I might be over analyzing this scope purchase.

Having 1/8 clicks can be a very big deal....a guy can get lost with the count of clicks. If you're going to punch paper...in competition..1/8th clicks might be helpful...otherwise it can be a pain the rear.
    I would recommend the Sightron SIII 8-32X...It has the 1/4 clicks...and along with a 20 m.o.a base...would get you to the range you seek.

Wayne

Lefty Savage

Quote Originally Posted by hotbrass
    Thanks. Been there. No info. I wrote them and asked.
    What info are you looking for? I might be able to help.

pol6320

All,
    I found a Millet LRS 6-25x56. Has 1/4 MOA adjustments. 140 MOA elevation / windage adjustments. 35 MM tubes (largest I have ever seen). All for $410.
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...u=00131BK81004

I read some reviews, and they have been good. What are your thoughts???

I also looked at the Sightron III 8-32x56. It has everything I need too, but is 2x as much. Do you recommend the Sightron over the Millet?

Senderofan

I don't think you'd have to pay $800+ for the Sightron SIII 8-32x. I got mine for $699 from Natchez...they also have the 6-24X with a mildot for $679. I can't speak to the Millet...never seen one. I can say the Sightron SIII is very close, optically, to my NightForce scopes. Can't comment yet how they function in the field or on paper yet....both of my Sightron's are new and haven't been mounted yet.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...TOKEN=37547103

Looks like they sold out their stock....but I would think they'd give you the same price if you ordered one.

Wayne

I still say either the 8-32 SIII for around $700, or if you want cheaper the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 for $450.

You should need around 35 moa or so to get to 1000. The Vortex with a 20moa rail will leave you with about 50-55moa of elevation left. If you want more just throw in the +10/-10 inserts in the Burris rings and you have well over 60moa to use. The SIII will give you a bit more with the same setup.

With the Millet you have to also figure in the extra cost of buying 35mm rings for it. I havent read anything on how the Millet tracks, but will attest that the Viper and SIII track very well and are VERY clear glass.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Team Savage

I have read mixed reviews on the Millet LRS. Some really like it but some have had problems. Opticstalk.com and snipershide both have threads on it.
    Stu

pol6320

Hello,
    I need to post a pic onto this thread. How do I do it?
    [img][/img]