Thread: Scope mount and rings for model 16 308?

Scope mount and rings for model 16 308?

I just purchased a model 16 in 308 and plan to put a LEUPOLD (66215) VX3 4.5-14X40MM MT DPX on it. This is my first hunting rifle and I have never mounted a scope before. I am looking for specific recommendations that will allow me to order online based on the recommendation. Even the best site to order from would be helpful! Any suggestions along these lines will really be appreciated.
    Also any Deer hunting ammo suggestions for this particular would be appreciated.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.

thomae
    Personally, I like full length rails and Burris Signature Zee rings.

I presume your rifle has a round back receiver.

The following rail mounts should fit your short action round back receiver:
    Weaver 48338 MULTI SLOT 0 MOA SAVAGE short action rail
    Weaver 99495 EXTENDED MULTI SLOT BASE 0 MOA SAVAGE short action rail
    Weaver 99496 EXTENDED MULTI SLOT BASE 20MOA Savage short action rail
    Weaver 48338 MULTI SLOT 0moa SAVAGE short action rail
    EGW 41000 Savage Short Action Round Back 0 MOA rail
    EGW 41002 Savage Short Action Round Back 20 MOA rail

You should not need a 20 MOA rail unless you are planning to shoot long ranges.

If you go on the Burris website, they have the specifications for the Signature Zee rings. Take those numbers and your scope measurements, and you should be able to figure out what height rings to use. My guess is that the low rings will work, but you should do the math yourself to make sure.

As I see it, the advantages of the Burris Signature Zee rings are:
    A. They have different inserts so you can mount and boresight your scope while keeping the scope adjustment closer to the center of the adjustment range.
    B. They don't mark up your scope when you mount it.
    C. They hold the scope firmly. I have never know of a properly mounted scope in Burris Signature Zee rings moving under recoil.
    D. They eliminate the need to lap the rings. Because the inserts can move within the mounts, the mount does not stress the scope at all.

I would do a search on this forum (and others) to see any suggestions for mounting and boresighting your scope, and since it is your first time, I would get with someone who has some experience mounting scopes and do it with them if possible.

Burris Rings are available at all the usual mail order firearms supply places (they are popular, so they are often out of stock): ... However, I have found the best prices for rails are at a place called "JoeBob Outfitters."

Sometimes you can find used rings or rails on sale in the classifieds here.
    Most forum members agree that $15.00 for a paid membership (which gives you access to the classifieds) is a good deal.

I like a turn in dual dovetail setup on a hunting rig. Light and probably the most solid lockup available. Leupold and Burris used to make em for a Savage but they are kind of hard to find for a Savage anymore. The last dual dovetail setup I put on a Savage I bought a set of dual dovetail rings and a standard Leupold base. I then contacted Leupold customer service and they sent me out another front base from a standard base setup. I then had the two turn in bases I needed to run dual dovetail rings. Kudos to Leupold customer service for making this happen for me.
    Kinda a pain but worth it. you might give leupold customer service a call and see what they recommend I have found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable about their products.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 09-02-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I would look into TPS 1 piece steel picantinny 20 MOA base

Rings, well everyone seems to like Burris Signature Zee.
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data