Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange day at range

big norm

Strange day at range

I purchased a used Savage 116 in 7mm mag with factory brake. LGS installed a Millett TRS-1. I loaded up 20 rounds for a ladder test and 10 rounds with 61gr imr4350 to sight in with.

2 shots at 25yrds adjusted windage and elevation.

Moved target to 50 yrds

3 shots at 50yrds touching in a lateral string.. ( Exactally what I wanted to see)

Moved target to 100yrds.

3 shots 7 inches high 3.5 inches high and group size 3+inches.

Moved back to 50yrds, 3 shots .680 group. Back to 100yrds 3 shots 2.8 inchs
    WTF!!!!!!!

Brass is once fired, full length sized, trimmed to length, 61gr imr4350 (medium load) cci mag primers nosler ballistic tip seated .10 off lans measured with Hornady comparator. Gun on bench with front and rear bags temp 77° [no crono to measure velocity]

Where do I start with problem solving, I have only been reloading for a 9mths so my knowledge is not as extensive as others... I have other powders to try but not sure if this is a gun problem, ammo problem, or scope problem...

I havent ruled out scope but my 50yrd groups are consistant when I mobe target so im kinda stumped.. any troubleshooting help is appreciated!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    The scope is junk.....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

seanhagerty
    Maybe nit junk, but you should look at its parralax adjustment as the culprit.

big norm
    Thanks Sean.. ill reload some more ammo and give it a shot

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The scope is junk.....
    ROTFLMAO

Big Norm. Some people think the left side knob is a focus but it is not. If you need help with it let us know.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Sounds like he was using my old Simmons Aetec scope. It did the same thing on my 30.06.

Like to drive me crazy.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    The scope is still junk....
    I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic. When the point of impact moves that far changing ranges, it usually has a tipped or mis-aligned lens. No parallax adjustment will change that.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

stangfish
    Wasn't making fun of your Post Fred, I am always speaking out against chinese optics. I dont care if Bushnell owns them or not.

Tarleton_Texan
    Probably would hurt to check your bases and rings to make sure they are snug, action screws probably should be checked also.

big norm
    Thanks Tarleton_Texan, the rings are good as they are twist in but I did not bother to check the base as it was on the rifle when I got it...I will also check torque on the action screws!

I took the scope and put it on another rifle and it shot fine...zeroed with no issues, so the junk scope doesnt seem to be the problem. I will remount the scope and check the base before I do so and use some factory ammo to check the rifle

Last edited by big norm; 08-31-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big norm View Post
    , so the junk scope doesnt seem to be the problem.
    Norm, you may have had a BillPa range day! I was shooting four rifles(calibers) the other day and every target save for the 338F's looked like buckshot at 10 paces. One bad scope I might buy, two if they were on sale, but four? Naw!!!!

Instead of wasting time and ammo I poured a coffee, fired up a stogie and relaxed the rest of the morning fire forming 308 Lapua brass into 270-08 Improved brass.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarleton_Texan View Post
    Probably would hurt to check your bases and rings to make sure they are snug, action screws probably should be checked also.
    I would check action screws and make sure the stock is not touching anywhere.

Tarleton guys know how to work a gun? Lol

big norm
    I am learning more daily,
    after doing more reading today on various forums, I think that low pressure may be a viable answer, after looking at the cases I notices soot around the neck which from what I have read is a sign of low pressure, and the brass neck not fully expanding upon firing.. this was the first time I fired this brass in this rifle, ill be neck sizing the next set of rounds and trying some of the other powders I have when I find some good load data for them.... (RETUMBO) to be specific!

Basic Member
    You said you were loading up for a ladder test. Tell us your process for that, and tell us what charge weights you were using. I would consider a powder along the lines of H4831 for that cartridge. I have had great results in magnum cartridges with it. Also, what weight bullet were you using?

big norm
    nso123: I measured my chamber with a hornady comparator and used that info to seat my bullets .15 off lan from the Ogive, my load for sighting in my rifle was 41gr imr4350 using 150 gr nosler ballistic silver tip with cci mag primers. I loaded about 15 rounds in this manner strictly for sighting in my rifle.

I never completed my ladder test because I got pissed as I have 3 other rifles that I have successfully established several .5 moa load using different powders using this same method and never had such a bug jump in elevation fron 50 to 100yrds, For a ladder test I simlpy load the rounds in .5 gr increments. The Nosler manual calls for 59-63gr I started in the middle at 51gr... 51, 51.5, 52, 52.5, 53. I usually sight the rifle in with ammo loaded to match my lowest load which was 51gr. Set POI at dead center at 50 and usually get a 3-4inch jump in elivation at most. I shot the ammo I loaded for the sight in plus the 51 and 51.5 loads.. the 51gr load hit the top of the target and 51.5 over the top! I didnt want to waste any more ammo till I figured out what was going on.. I know nothing about a 7mm mag and belted cartridges! The other rifles are remington 700 vls in 308 and a Savage 116 in 270, with the fluted barrel and factory brake!

I have Retumbo, IMR 4350, RL22, IMR 4064 and 4831ssc to try as well as nosler 140 and 150gr accubond and ballistic tip and berger 168gr vld hunter

Last edited by big norm; 08-31-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Basic Member
    Were you using 51 pr 61 grains of powder? 51 would be dangerously low with IMR4350, and 61 is over the Hodgdon manual's 60.8 max load with a 150gr.

Basic Member
    The scope is junk.....
    are you related to bruce baer lol.

big norm
    Im stumbling over my words.... sorry 61gr...for sight in... 61, 61.5 62, 62.5, 63gr for ladder test!

NOSLER 7 STATES 59-63gr for min and max

Tarleton_Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    I would check action screws and make sure the stock is not touching anywhere.

Tarleton guys know how to work a gun? Lol
    Lol most of us are smarter than we look!

You might try a little slower load, when I developed the load for my 6.5x284 I loaded hotter and hotter and the groups got bigger and bigger, there is a definite sweet spot you just have to find it.

big norm
    http://www.nosler.com/7mm-remington-magnum

big norm
    PROBLEM SOLVED! I guess its kinda my fault but I thought I could trust the LGS I bought my scope from to mount it properly.

After receiving advice from others I bought a box of ammo and went back to the range for more shooting and opened my hard case, set up to shoot, attempted to adjust magnification and the whole **** scope turned on the rings and the Leupold rear mount with the clamp screws had come all the way loose, the front twist in ring was misaligned and NO loctite on any of the screws... SMDH!

Took me all of 30 mins to take it all apart and put it all back together properly! Shoot great!

Basic Member
    Good to hear! At least they didn't over tighten a front base screw to the point where it had to be drilled out!

Quote Originally Posted by big norm View Post
    Thanks Tarleton_Texan, the rings are good as they are twist in but I did not bother to check the base as it was on the rifle when I got it...I will also check torque on the action screws!

I took the scope and put it on another rifle and it shot fine...zeroed with no issues, so the junk scope doesnt seem to be the problem. I will remount the scope and check the base before I do so and use some factory ammo to check the rifle

I didnt think it was the scope either. IMO...your going the right course.....ck everything while your at it...base/stock/rings/ etc.....
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

MrMajestic
    The scope is junk.....
    I'm with Fred, the scope is junk.....

stangfish
    I'm with Fred, the scope is junk.....
    scope turned on the rings and the Leupold rear mount with the clamp screws had come all the way loose, the front twist in ring was misaligned and NO loctite on any of the screws... SMDH!

Took me all of 30 mins to take it all apart and put it all back together properly! Shoot great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast