Thread: Jamming with failures to feed with a Savage (Stephens) model 62

kjhansen

Jamming with failures to feed with a Savage (Stephens) model 62

I've had this rifle, which I bought used, for about 10 years and it has performed well with many many rounds fired through it. All of a sudden it's jamming almost every round with failures to feed. It doesn't lift the cartridge high enough up and the bolt slams into the bullet instead of the cartridge. This bends the bullet over and basically destroys it. I have two magazine, which I got with the gun and the problem occurs with both of them. I'm shooting Federal bulk ammo, which the rifle has always eaten with no problems before. I tend to think the springs in the magazines are worn out, but thought I'd ask the user knowledge base first. I do clean and lubricate the rifle after shooting, even just a few rounds.
    kjhansen
    Last edited by kjhansen; 08-28-2013 at 06:49 PM.

kjhansen
    Well, I went ahead and bought a new magazine (the only one in town!) and now the rifle feeds with no problems again. Question now is, can I salvage the old magazines? Is there somewhere I can get new springs?
    KJHansen

stangfish
    Nevermind
    Last edited by stangfish; 08-29-2013 at 07:24 PM.

kjhansen
    Not sure I understand the question. The magazines are all stock, the first two functioned fine for years, then the springs just wore out. The new one is the same magazine, only shiny and new. In any case, you don't bend the lips on these. They're not spring steel--they're machined steel, hard and stiff.

stangfish
    Sorry brother I thought it was a centerfeed. My bad.

thomae

kjhansen
    Thanks! Actually I tried putting the two weak springs together, but they make a slightly larger circumference than one spring does, so they tend to stick in the spring well and prevent the follower from going up all the way. I bought the new-in-the-package magazine for only $17, including tax, so I think I'll wait until they get another one in. One spring, with shipping from Wolff, is almost $15, so not really economically feasible.
    KJH