Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Lapping

Basic Member

Hand Lapping

I was looking at a hand Lapping and scope install kit on amazon (the weaver one) I am definitely ordering the torque screwdriver, but was wonder if most people here are hand Lapping their scope mounts when intending to shoot passed 600yds?

I've read a few articles, but wanted some opinions on how necessary people here feel it is before I order another $100 worth of home gunsmithing items.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

I have found that the Burris signature rings, eliminate virtually all side load and stress, to the main body structure, I have not found the need to lap rings since discovering these gems.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Here 9 Minutes well spent for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcRAX5OLtJE

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

And I for got to add that I use they 10 and 20 deg inserts, to give me more elevation just like a 20 moa rail would do, only more with more adjustment.

Dean

Basic Member
    That's good info. Here is the Scope kit I ordered
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactic...IT-P64860.aspx

Do you know anything about the rings coming in this kit?

Basic Member
    i think its become an issue recently largly due to scope quality. i never checked ring allignment
    and always tightened ring screws as tight as i dare untill recently. apperently the tubes are thinner
    on some of the newer scopes requiring more caution on ring allignment and tightness.

Basic Member
    The SWFA Scopes are designed to MilSpec, so I don't think there is an issue with that in the scope I chose. From what I've read it's all about getting the most contact between the rings and the scope in order to get the maximum grip to avoid movement during recoil. And it is difficult to mass produce parts when you do not know exactly what they are going on. Therefore hand lapping would be the finishing portion of aligning the rings.

Being that I'm putting these on a one piece EGW rail on my Axis Build I'm hoping they align on their own, but also want it to be done correctly. The torque screwdriver to me seems to be the most important item in the mix because you don't need anymore than 15-20in lbs depending on manufacturer specs.

They are good scopes, I have they 20 X 42 on my 338 Edge, I would get the Burris sig ones and sell those.

Dean

Basic Member
    Just glass bed your rings. perfect fit.

Basic Member
    well id be willing to bet that most serious shooters never lapped rings or torqued screws untill rather recently.
    can it hurt to do it ? absolutly not and it is possible it could help. all i can say is for about 50 years i never did it
    untill last year. that was due to a vortec viper scope that wouldnt funtion properly after my standard installation proceedure.
    a factory rep suggested torqueing the ring screws to 15 in pounds and checking the allignment on the rings. about a year before
    i watched bruce baer install a new nightforce on a 338 big baer he just finished for me. he used no special tools or levels to install it.
    he simply said look in there and see how it looks to you before he finished tightening the rings with a standard screwdriver.
    when i mentioned the vortec issue to him he said thats because their junk compared to a nightforce.

Basic Member
    Well I can't disagree with that comment. I haven't found anything that compares to the view through a Night Force Scope and how solid they feel. I'm pretty sure you could pull it off your rifle use it for hand to hand replace it and still hit the mark at a grand.

Never thought about bedding a scope in the rings, but I think I'll keep it simple for now sinc ethe scope and rings are all made by the same manufacturer. Hopefully, they marry up without issue.
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-27-2013 at 01:16 PM.

I always use the burris signature rings because of there many benefits in scope alignment and stress relief but if I can't get my hands on some or mount a scope for someone else the rings always get lapped always. Once you lap a set and see for yourself just how little contact is made with the scope tube you will never trust a factory set of rings again I don't care how expensive and well made they are. But as my brother always says it only costs a little more to go first class and the Burris rings are well worth the little extra money.

For what you get, I don't think they are that expensive, cheap rings are $30.00 the Burris are $60.00 and they expensive ones are $150.00.

Dean

I don't think they are that expensive either but to the casual shooter or common hunter double the price can be a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I don't think they are that expensive either but to the casual shooter or common hunter double the price can be a big deal.
    I totally agree but I was referring to the crowd that are dropping $300.00 bucks plus for a barrel plus all they other things in the pursuit of accuracy,

Basic Build

Action $300.00+
    Barrel $300.00+
    Stock $300.00+
    Scope $300.00+
    Misc $300.00+
    Scope Rings $60.00 A bargain

Dean

davemuzz
    I will agree with Dean. If you look at my rifles you will find on 95% of them (and on the one handgun that I have scoped) that I have the Burris Signature rings. They are great rings, hold my scope under any heavy recoiling firearm, and just don't leave a mark on the scope.

Dave

On my 1 inch scopes I use the Millitt's with they adjustable windage on both sides, they are good but they really markup the scope, but any new scope I get, usually a 30MM they all get the Burris ones.

Dean

Basic Member
    Do they offer the Burris Signature rings in a low format? I only see high and medium options from the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Do they offer the Burris Signature rings in a low format? I only see high and medium options from the looks of it.
    The med ones are on the low side, that's why I had a set for sale last week in the classifieds, they were a lot lower than I anticipated.

Dean

Basic Member
    Go figure it was last week and they didn't last long. I already have a 20MOA base, so not looking for rings that are real high. I will take a look at the ones included in the kit coming though. They look to be a lot like the Burris XTR's I saw while looking around.

They have all the measurements on there website, I took a chance anyway and it was a no go, and now I know.LOL

Dean

Basic Member
    So if I do decide to hand lap the rings that come with the kit. Do you do anything to treat the metal after the material is removed?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    So if I do decide to hand lap the rings that come with the kit. Do you do anything to treat the metal after the material is removed?

Not that I have ever heard of.

Dean

Basic Member
    well since i now own a scope mount allignment and lapping kit as well as a torque driver ive been checking
    all my scopes. now realize that since im very old some of my mounts are of inferior design by todays standards.
    ones like weaver, redfield etc. so far ive not lapped any ive checked. theyve all lined up perfectly.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    well since i now own a scope mount allignment and lapping kit as well as a torque driver ive been checking
    all my scopes. now realize that since im very old some of my mounts are of inferior design by todays standards.
    ones like weaver, redfield etc. so far ive not lapped any ive checked. theyve all lined up perfectly.
    I believe most rings will align properly with today's tight machining standards, but they may not provide for maximum ring to scope contact in all cases. I believe that is the main purpose of hand lapping scope rings. I've seen via some research that many company's putting together long range rifles lap the rings when they put together their custom rigs or "accurize" someone's personal rifle. I would not know for sure how much of a performance increase there is, but I bet it makes a difference on heavier recoiling precision rifles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast