Thread: Oculus or vortex

Basic Member

Oculus or vortex

Looking for a decent scope in the $300 range. Don't want to break the bank because I plan on upgrading after hunting season and handing this one down for my sons first rifle. Looking at the oculus 2.5-10x50 plex w/illuminated dot ($249 @bps) and the vortex diamondback 3.5-10x50 BDC ($249 @Bps) both seemed like good scopes in the store but the oculus seemed a little clearer. Are either of these scopes worth looking at or do I need to stop being cheap and by a decent scope.

stangfish
    There are some that say a decent scope and 300 dollars can't be used in the same sentence. I am by far not a scope snob but will add this opinion. Features and quality are something you pay for. Most reputable scope manufacturers have several lines of scopes. These are seperated by 1) features and purpose and 2) quality. For example, a 150 Vortex is nothing like a 900 dollar vortex with similar features. Moral to the story is just because a scope has a name brand does not mean that is where they made their reputation.

And if you have heard little or there is very little information on a scope manufacturer...there is a reason. There are 20 million gun owners looking for the best equipment for the lowest price. If it fell in the Good and Cheap, the stories would be all over the web.

Basic Member
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactic...IT-P64860.aspx

Just ordered this kit to upgrade my build from the $70 Barska sitting on it now. May be of some interest depending on your plans with your rifle.

I do agree with Stangfish 100%, but I wanted to get the best I could afford right now. To me this was a deal I could pass up.

Basic Member
    If it's a toss up between those two scopes, I would go with the Vortex. Their quality and support is great.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactic...IT-P64860.aspx

Just ordered this kit to upgrade my build from the $70 Barska sitting on it now.
    Nothing wrong with a SWFA. Almost everybody had one, has one or will have one if they target shoot.

I'm not trying to change the subject but there is in my opinion another scope you ought to be checking out.
    I haven't owned an Oculus but I do have a Diamondback and it's a decent hunting scope for the $. not really outstanding but functional. For years I avoided budget optics like the plague after having issues with several of the lesser brands. Burris scopes have treated me well over the years and so last year I bought a Burris E1 when they had a great rebate on em and since have bought 2 more because of their performance. Very good glass within your price range and I highly recommend you check them out. they are very bright at low light,clear and all of mine have passed the box test with exact and repeatable adjustments. They are loaded with features and I like the lenses and turrets very much. I'm pretty sure they have them on the shelf at BPS where you can handle and look through one. In the store really wont tell the tale like outside at dawn or dusk but if you like them I would check em at the store and then order online for the best price. Big supply is good to go and charges a few bucks more than listed online and then has them shipped factory direct to you.
    http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Burris-...0_p_19034.html
    Crazy good glass at a great price. It'll probably save you over $50 in BPS store pricing ($299 online) or amazon.
    Check one out and let me know what you think. you'll probably keep it and get your son one as well. I did :)
    BHJ
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 08-27-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Many of us here have had good results with the Nikon Buckmaster line. The glass is pretty good, and they are in the magnification and price range you mentioned.

I don't know of anyone with the Oculus, but the Vortex scopes are generally good to go.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others