Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Final" Product, 110 LA .223

The "Final" Product, 110 LA .223

Well, I Think I'm done tinkering, modifying, pulling my hair out etc, for now..., Here are some pics folks!

Before we get TOO excited- these groups are 50 yards. A severe storm was coming and I knew I wouldn't have time to go to 100 yards, so after sighting in I shot these groups. Hope to get back out today or tomorrow. These are both well under .5".

Brian
    Last edited by Silvercrow1; 08-20-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

All the cool kids have 223s on long actions.

Is yours mag fed or single shot?

One More Group

Too many photos for that post- heres the last one. Hornady "Zombie" Max ammo. in the pic in first post. The same as their other with normal colored tip- but a buck less (?) This group with American Eagle 50 Gr. "Tipped" ammo.

Brian

Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    All the cool kids have 223s on long actions.

Is yours mag fed or single shot?
    That's right Baby! It's stagger feed / blind mag. Brian
    Last edited by Silvercrow1; 08-20-2013 at 04:15 PM.

I guess I should post the "specs" on my baby too. This is my first bolt action in a LOOONG time. Savage 110, LA, Stagger Feed, early 90s manufacture. .223 heavy barrel (measures 1.09" at receiver, .799" at muzzle). Harris Bipod(s) 9-13" in pics, also have a 13"-25". Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 Scope. Boyds stock, aftermarket bolt handle thanks to great forum members(!). Also replaced the extractor, ejector and springs, ss trigger guard from Brownells. OH- Burris Sig. Zee rings with inserts.

I'm looking for a sunshade but everyone is out of the Prostaff, so I ordered a Dvorak from their company directly. VERY friendly mom and pop organization- they sell "slip-on" sunshades, some kind of semi-ridged rubber material. Don't look too great but apparently do the job and for $13.00 shipped...I'll let you all know! Dvorak is located near Williamsport Pa.

Brian
    Last edited by Silvercrow1; 08-20-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Way to go Brian! Only problem you might have is if you miss something ain't no excuses!

Basic Member
    Nice looking rig Brian
    Welcome to the sickness!
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Way to go Brian! Only problem you might have is if you miss something ain't no excuses!
    So any mistakes are "operator error? Sigh...well, I resemble that remark! ALSO thank you so much for your help!! Brian
    Last edited by Silvercrow1; 08-20-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    Nice looking rig Brian
    Welcome to the sickness!
    Jack
    Thanks Bro! Nice looking bolt handle, eh? You are of of the folks I owe this success too! PM headed your way! Brian

It's nice, but the bolt handle is on the wrong side.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Nice rig!

I reckon the Shade is a must on those Nikons.

I have a few of them, and have had a couple of BuckMaster Scopes too and they all benefit from the Shade...

That Bolt handle is awesome, where did you get that? and, I have just ordered the extractor from sss but where did you get the springs?

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    Nice rig!

I reckon the Shade is a must on those Nikons.

I have a few of them, and have had a couple of BuckMaster Scopes too and they all benefit from the Shade...

That Bolt handle is awesome, where did you get that? and, I have just ordered the extractor from sss but where did you get the springs?
    Got the bolt handle through our classifieds from our fellow member JW (I hope I'm allowed to say that?!). I remember him saying he wasn't sure at the time where he had gotten it. The extractor from forum member also; the ejector and springs through Natchez (its the "enhanced" version with the small "rod" on one end to assist with keeping the spring from kinking). Trigger guard from Brownells.

Re the sunshade; yeah, I shoot at a local "gamelands" range a lot, and during the spring and summer there is no-one there in the early morning hours; however the sun is coming up and it's situated that it produces glare on the scope. Just enough to be a distraction. I know some don't like the Nikon Prostaffs but the two I have are extremely clear and work very well for me, in use and monetarily too! If I have any "complaint", its that the recticle on the 4-12x40 is a little thick, but I knew that going in and someday my dream is to get a Vortex Viper with thinner stadia (?)/ crosshair.

Thanks for the kind words SlimySquirrel! Brian

Keep "Losing" Pictures

In my initial post pictures keep disappearing. I'm thinking now that it might be they are too "Large"? Can anyone please tell me what size to make 'em? I have photobucket and I do edit them, but I guess not enough. If someone can tell me the size they need to be; photobucket displays something like "560x400" for example and then you can change it. I'm not even sure what that means, but I usually change it to like 340x260 (approx.). Thanks for any guidance! Brian

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    It's nice, but the bolt handle is on the wrong side.
    LOL my lovely wife, a "leftie" always reminds me that left handed folks are in their "right" mind....

Brian

Basic Member
    bolt handle looks like the one SSS sells. Nice rifle!

Basic Member
    Well after scratching my head for a while and searching around I found that the bolt handle is a Stockade that I got from a forum member here

Thanks
    Jack

Aaah, thanks for the info fellas!

Vortex you say? I was heading down the same road but after some research the Sightron SIII fitted my needs better!

I have a Rig to put together my self when I get home in 6 weeks time so I'm hoping it looks as good and shoots as good as yours!

Aaah, thanks for the info fellas!

Vortex you say? I was heading down the same road but after some research the Sightron SIII fitted my needs better!

I have a Rig to put together my self when I get home in 6 weeks time so I'm hoping it looks as good and shoots as good as yours!
    I'm sure it will, Bro! Don't forget to post pics! I've never looked through a Sightron..I'll have to check it out. Its gonna be a while, next year probably, before I can think about a new scope. In the meantime I'll be looking. With all the gunshops around here I'm pretty sure I'll fine someone that has a selection on hand.

Where is "home" SlimyS? Brian

Home is NZ.
    We have the luxury of Suppressors and no snakes. Makes for quiet safe shooting!

Draw backs are that its become expensive to live here and Rifle stuff costs a bomb... When we can get it.

Had a peep through a sightron and vortex side by side. Preferred the Sightron and the price was very attractive.

I slip home through Southern Cali so I collect some bits on my way through.

nice rifle........that pattern is gonna go from .5 to 1 @ 100.......still pretty darn good if you ask me.
    I like the wood grain along with the raised cheek rest....nice
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    nice rifle........that pattern is gonna go from .5 to 1 @ 100.......still pretty darn good if you ask me.
    I like the wood grain along with the raised cheek rest....nice
    You know, I thought so too. But for some reason or other, and its always been like this for me, I do better at 100 yds than at 50. I think its a concentration thing...

Anyway, I was out again today at 100 yards. Took our friends and their kids out for their first shooting experiences; 11 year old young lady and 8 year old boy, at 50 yards with my MKII. The girl shot .75-.880 groups. The young fella, not able to shoulder the rifle on the bench, was happy to pop some baloons! Gonna post pics- the smiles on their faces were PRICELESS!

My smile was ear to ear too- measuring the groups with a digital caliper outside edge to outside edge then subtracting the bullet diameter my WORST 3 shot group at 100 yards with my .223 was .496! Best was .169, and having six rounds of the varmint ammo left, I shot a six round group at .385! I AM VERY HAPPY!

This was off the bench, Harris Bi-Pod and rear bag. I was "locked in" pretty well..not as well as a lead sled but pretty close

Will post range pics over the weekend here or latest Monday.

Brian

Man, sounds like its a fine little shooter!

I like the Grouping from a Bi-pod and rear bag as I find it close to what I would use in the field... Most of the time I'm taking the longer shot so a Rear bag is used but not every time so it helps to know how it shoots (How I shoot) with the bag under there instead of locked into a sled.

5 weeks until I hit the "States" and counting!!

Man, sounds like its a fine little shooter!

I like the Grouping from a Bi-pod and rear bag as I find it close to what I would use in the field... Most of the time I'm taking the longer shot so a Rear bag is used but not every time so it helps to know how it shoots (How I shoot) with the bag under there instead of locked into a sled.

5 weeks until I hit the "States" and counting!!
    Thanks- I couldn't be happier! Well...I could be, say, if I had unlimited ammo...

Have a great time on your visit! Must be a HECK of a plane ride...
    Brian

Thanks Brian... 12 hours it is!

With 2 Kids as well... been doing it for 15 years so they go pretty fast now... 12 hours to LA, 10 Hours Home.. Give or take depending on the winds of course but it usually works out to be 22 hours total one way or the other!

Your thread has inspired some purchasing.. just got this after viewing your rifle again! I'll start a new thread called "Inspired by the Silver Crow"... haha ...enjoy your shooting mate!

Thanks Brian... 12 hours it is!

With 2 Kids as well... been doing it for 15 years so they go pretty fast now... 12 hours to LA, 10 Hours Home.. Give or take depending on the winds of course but it usually works out to be 22 hours total one way or the other!

Your thread has inspired some purchasing.. just got this after viewing your rifle again! I'll start a new thread called "Inspired by the Silver Crow"... haha ...enjoy your shooting mate!
    WHOA! That is SWEET! Definitely keep us posted as it progresses!

I'd be HONORED to inspire in such a way! Stay safe and happy my friend! Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast