Thread: Need advice fitting a fiberglass stock

sandog

Need advice fitting a fiberglass stock

I have a late 1980's 110 DL left hand .270. I would like to install an MPI synthetic stock I got when I bought the rifle. The stock is a blank, so I will have to cut the bolt notch, open up the barrel channel, and relieve some material to bed the action and recoil lug. I assume a recoil pad and swivel studs will have to be epoxied on, as the butt stock and fore end are not solid but foam filled. My rifle currently has the detachable box magazine with release button on the right side. To retain this magazine system I would have to locate this side release hole just right, and then epoxy the collar that goes around the button. The new stock comes solid on the bottom. My staggered feed DBM has always fed fine, but I would not mind converting it over to a hinged floor plate or even a blind magazine if need be. I have always been fairly handy at wood working but have never worked with fiberglass or patching fiberglass with epoxy. Before I start whacking away with a dremel and sanding block, I'd like to hear from others who have fitted a "not so drop-in" stock, and any tips and suggestions you might have.

sandog
    No one ? Was hoping for some advice from Savage shooters before I try another forum.

Basic Member
    Perhaps, if you can, post some pictures. In my experience, milling fiberglass is not that much different than working with wood-just messier. And resin & epoxy is just glue in two part form. I have modified fiberglass and plastic stocks, but not to the extent you mention. Sounds like you are quite capable of doing it. Best of luck! ... Jim