Thread: benchrest rifle build

redlabel

benchrest rifle build

What kind of action would a person use to build a light varmint for IBS or NBRSA to be competitive

Thanks, Wes

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by redlabel View Post
    What kind of action would a person use to build a light varmint for IBS or NBRSA to be competitive Thanks, Wes
    It has been done and you can start out with a PTA, I would suggest getting a dual port. From there you would have to send the rifle off to SSS, as they sell they only trigger that is comparable to what others are using in Benchrest. You would have to have the action timed and trued, and the evolution trigger installed. After that you would also have to have then inlet a light weight fiberglass stock, as no company offers a Benchrest quality stock for a Savage. When you was done you would end up with a rifle that looks like this.

That is Fred Moreo, sitting behind a gun much like described, at the 2012 NBRSA Eastern Finale. Fred shot small group of the day, (.169 5 shots at 100 yards.) and came in 3rd place in Heavy gun 100 and light gun 200. Under some grueling conditions, and some of the best shooters in the Eastern Division. http://issuu.com/precisionrifleman/docs/547637_mag1of1 See page 16 and 17

Honestly, by the time you put the money into a Savage you will have about the same money as building a custom Benchrest rifle, and have something with little to no resale value. It has been proven a Savage can shoot every bit just as well as any other action on the planet, but IMO you far better off buying or building a custom action rifle for Benchrest. There is a few humps you have to get over with a Savage such as making weight, and lack of aftermarket components. It can be done, but it is no easy chore. Right now building a Benchrest gun is not something like ordering a big mac at McDonald's, the company's are far behind. Last I knew it is a 2 year weight for a Krieger blank. (And that is not to add the time to have a smith chamber it.)

Basic Member
    word

GSRswapandslow
    Shehane inlets for the Savage 3 bolt actions...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow View Post
    Shehane inlets for the Savage 3 bolt actions...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    No Shehane stock will make weight for IBS/NBRSA light gun. It will have to be light fiberglass, like a Tom Meredith, or a McMillian Edge.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    No Shehane stock will make weight for IBS/NBRSA light gun. It will have to be light fiberglass, like a Tom Meredith, or a McMillian Edge.
    I take this statement back for a quick second.
    The only stock in the Shehane lineup that is even possible to make weight, and fit into the rules is the Baby tracker. With a fight, ton of ingenuity, and a ton of cutting hacking, and grinding, you can get this stock to make weight with a repeater action, and it is so close to being on the verge, you will have to say a prayer before weighing in. You will have to find an aluminum trigger guard (Like finding a needle in a hay stack.) Limit you choice of scopes, have parts ground down, cut out, and so forth. All in All it is a pain in the but to do.

On top of that, For the price of a Shehane stock you are 3/4 to almost at the same level as buying a quality complete Benchrest gun. (Older Panda's, Hall's, Farley's ETC can be bought for $1500.) For the same price as a Shehane stock you can get a carbon fiber wood stock like a Scoville, Lenard, or Scarborrel, and have a far superior short range Benchrest stock.

Now with that said, I would not recommend a Shehane stock for a short range IBS/NBRSA light varmint Benchrest gun.
    Last edited by 82boy; 08-26-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Team Savage
    Listen to what 82boy says. He's been there, done that. Sure would be nice to be able to build a Savage and beat the *@$# out of the big boys. And a .169 5 shot group at 100 yards came in 3rd? That shows you just what you're up against.

Basic Member
    Whidden makes an aluminum Chassis that is a V Block for the Savage PTA. It requires inletting, but not as difficult as inletting for an action.
    I am working on my second gun for long range bench rest using a PTA. Both have stocks sourced by SSS but I am inletting the current job for a Whidden V-Block myself.
    Also, the PTA trigger is only good to about 6-8 oz, but there are smiths that can reliably tweak it to a consistent 6 oz.
    The neat thing about a Savage is that it is possible to do it all yourself. I did break down and have a smith chamber my second barrel and it doesn't use a nut. I will be ordering another barrel soon and it too will be chambered with my reamer by a smith.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by normmatzen View Post
    Whidden makes an aluminum Chassis that is a V Block for the Savage PTA. It requires inletting, but not as difficult as inletting for an action.
    I am working on my second gun for long range bench rest using a PTA. Both have stocks sourced by SSS but I am inletting the current job for a Whidden V-Block myself.
    Also, the PTA trigger is only good to about 6-8 oz, but there are smiths that can reliably tweak it to a consistent 6 oz.
    The neat thing about a Savage is that it is possible to do it all yourself. I did break down and have a smith chamber my second barrel and it doesn't use a nut. I will be ordering another barrel soon and it too will be chambered with my reamer by a smith.
    There is no way at all a Whidden v-block will make weight in a NBRSA/IBS Light varmint class.

My question is, does anyone read the post?

Basic Member
    Funny, My PTA/Bartlein 28" barrel, NF Bench rest scope and SSS dog tracker easily makes NBRSA light gun. And, I think my new build with a thicker barrel and Widded V Block will make weight too with the new SSS Tracker stock.

If not, I'll have a light gun 6BRX and a heavy gun 284 WIN!

I do believe the OP said: "Light Varmint" (maximum 4.8 kilograms (10.5 lb) overall)... light gun would be 7.7 kilograms (17 lb) maximum

...big difference
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by normmatzen View Post
    Funny, My PTA/Bartlein 28" barrel, NF Bench rest scope and SSS dog tracker easily makes NBRSA light gun. And, I think my new build with a thicker barrel and Widded V Block will make weight too with the new SSS Tracker stock.

If not, I'll have a light gun 6BRX and a heavy gun 284 WIN!
    There is no way your gun weight in less than 10.5 lbs. which is Light varmint class NBRSA/IBS weight limit rule of maximum weight, for 100 - 300 yard bench rest class. You gun might make NBRSA/IBS "light gun" weight in long range (600 yard, and 1000 yard) competition which is 17 lbs. The OP asked specifically about "light varmint class," not "light gun."

redlabel
    I already settled on what action to get and already received it. I got a Marsh saguaro action with a Krieger 1 in 13.5 twist chambered in 6ppc
    with a jewell trigger and Bruno/McMillian stock a set of Harrells rings and a Weaver T-36
    Thanks, Wes
    Last edited by redlabel; 12-04-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling

82boy
    I already settled on what action to get and already received it. I got a Marsh saguaro action with a Krieger 1 in 13.5 twist chambered in 6ppc
    with a jewell trigger and Bruno/McMillian stock a set of Harrells rings and a Weaver T-36
    Thanks, Wes
    That is a nice set up, it should be a great shooter.
    Don't be afraid of the boat tailed bullets, I have had great luck with them in 13.5 twist barrels.

Saguaro action

I already settled on what action to get and already received it. I got a Marsh saguaro action with a Krieger 1 in 13.5 twist chambered in 6ppc with a jewell trigger and Bruno/McMillian stock a set of Harrells rings and a Weaver T-36
    Thanks, Wes
    Hi Wes-

Do you have any pictures of your Saguaro action out of the stock? I've had one on order for a couple months now. Dr. Marsh is waiting on bolts from PT&G. I've seen the pix of the red stocked one on his website and Accurate Shooter/BR central. I'm specifically interested in the underside of the action. Does yours have holes in the bottom for action screws or is it smooth for a glue-in only? Built in recoil lug or pinned separate? Any help would be appreciated.

-Rick
    Last edited by Switchbarrel; 02-22-2014 at 06:26 AM.

redlabel
    no I haven't taken any pictures of it yet I will do that soon and post it up but mine was a glue in so I didn't see it out of the stock. I bought it used with a new barrel chambered and put on. Check with Butch's Reloading they may have one in stock.
    Thanks, Wes