Thread: Savage 111 Extractor Issue

ycastane

Savage 111 Extractor Issue

After removing bolt, taking it apart it to lube it, put it back together. Today at the range the extractor was not releasing the shell after firing, it was kind of stuck to the bolt. Had to remove the bolt entirely from the rifle in order to remove the shell. WTF was that about? I am guessing i did something wrong when i took it apart but that area of the bolt i never took apart, just the firing pin and stuff.

What to do?

stangfish
    You have an ejector problem. Your extractor is working fine if the bullet is pulled from the chamber. You need to free up your ejector pin. Look to see if you are blowing primers as well. This could be a source of the problem.

ycastane
    Blowing primers? Yeah the ejector correct!

If you took the bolt head out of the bolt body, it could be assembled with the extractor turned to wrong side.

ycastane
    Perhaps that could be the case. I need to find the owners manual online or something that shows me the right way to put the bolt back together properly rather than the video i saw which showed everything far away!

stangfish
    i did something wrong when i took it apart but that area of the bolt i never took apart, just the firing pin and stuff
    Since you did not disassemble the bolt head you did nothing to cause this.

Short round would be on to something if you did infact remove the bolt head. Easy fix the extractor should line up with the ejection port side of the action.

As for Blowing primers, blowing primers allows hot dirty gasses to escape behind the case and directly onto the bolt face. Loose primer pockets and or accessive presure is the root cause. This has caused many savage owners to find ejector springs broken or siezed from the debris left behind.

So why were you taking the bolt a part again?

ycastane
    Ive had this savage for about 5 yrs and never lubed it or taken it apart so i removed bolt and took it apart to clean and lube, havent put that many rounds through so it wasnt bad but i cleaned anyways and lubed it with some FireClean and put back. I dont think i completely took the bolt head apart but i think i did now that i think about it. Dont know the terminology or the part name i did separate the bolt head from the bolt, removed the pin that holds it together and there is a washer in between so yeah i did take it off but didnt disassemble the actual head.

So thats where i messed up. I'll look at the ejector and see which way is facing but if i remember correctly from yesterday its away from the ejection port, in other words is on the left side of the bolt.

ycastane
    Yeap ejector is on the wrong side. Will fix this afternoon. Thans gents!!