Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first rifle build -- A long range precision 260 rem

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by paperkite View Post
    That makes sense. I wish we had a longer range here .. just as well I suppose , other wise my annual budget would get used buying a long range rifle ..and walking 1000 yrds to set a target would play havoc with my pacemaker ....
    We drive vehicles down to the target berms. And when I said "pasture" I meant it. It's literally a cow pasture with.... cows roaming around. Amongst all the other important things I've learned about (long range) shooting in the last year is cow herding/wrangling with my Excursion. The cows occasionally wander in front of the target berms so we go 'cold' and send 1 or 2 vehicles to "round 'em up and send them on their way". One time there were several horses out in the pasture. The horses were a much bigger problem because: #1) Horses spook. The cows never bat an eyelid even when firing large caliber rounds 50 yds away from them. #2) The horses have been known to gallop across the target berm, whereas the cows never go anywhere in a hurry.

Last edited by Onewolf; 09-04-2013 at 09:02 AM.

paperkite
    Too much Onewolf !! I had a cow chase me one time at my uncles place in southern Idaho... seems she was mad at me for parking his '62 ford pu in her pasture ( I was tossing hay ) and took it out on me first chasing me off then she backed up to the drivers door handle and let fly a runny pie ... I still laugh about that ...

Basic Member
    I did a powder load test yesterday afternoon at 300 meters. Because of the conditions (5-14mph variable wind and lots of heat mirage) I probably should have done the test at 100y instead of 300m, but in the past I have usually found more conclusive results at 300m than 100y (when conditions support 300m grouping).

I don't see a really conclusive node, but if the 42.8 group had been under 2" than I might say that there is a node around 42.5.

• 41.6 = 2.088"
    • 41.9 = 2.416"
    • 42.2 = 1.983"
    • 42.5 = 1.189"
    • 42.8 = 2.670"
    • 43.1 = 3.118"
    • 43.4 = 5.152"

paperkite
    The 42.5 looks promising. now to try other powders to see if that flyer can be moved in closer. One of our Range Masters said the Nosler reloading manual does a good job of testing all powders to find the most accurate place to start as it tests over a range of bullets etc . I am going to check in to that as I am in the process of finding the best combination for a varmit hunt this fall in Montana and want to load for two calibers 22 Hornet and 223 for 200 to 300 yard shots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12