Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first rifle build -- A long range precision 260 rem

Basic Member

My first rifle build -- A long range precision 260 rem

Why? Almost one year ago I got interested in long range precision/match shooting and since I had _no_ rifle experience I chose to purchase a Savage LRP 260 because it seemed like it would be a great rifle to learn the basics of long range shooting with. After shooting it a bunch with the local long range club (500-1000 yards) and learning how to do my own ammo load development I decided it was time to start theorizing about building a rifle for my specific requirements. For instance the LRP 260 is great for shooting prone, but no so great (not balanced) for shooting off-hand as we often do in our local club matches.

Components:

• Savage Target Repeater Action (from donor rifle I bought from Jim/Northland)
    • SS barrel nut and lug from Northland
    • McGowen SS Shilen LV7 profile barrel, 1:8 twist, 24" + muzzle brake
    • Manners MCS-T5 (dead flat black) stock
    • Harris S-BRM 6-9" bipod
    • EGW 20MOA HD scope mount
    • Burris Extreme Tactical 30mm low rings
    • SWFA 12x42 mil-quad scope
    • SSS 9 rd mags

I just put it together this afternoon. As expected I am going to need to adjust/time the muzzle brake to get the (side) ports situated properly. I just hate to loosen the muzzle brake for the first time which will expose the seam with the barrel. :)

I hope to shoot it this weekend at the 'short' 300m range.

Thanks for all the advice I received on this site (both direct questions and background research).

Basic Member
    Very nice
    I would shoot it before moving the brake just to see how it does
    You might find that it shoots very well as is
    Jack

Basic Member
    The problem with the current muzzle brake position is that it has ports facing downward which will be problematical when shooting prone from the dry cow/scrub pasture we call our 'long range'. "Bang" = big cloud of dirt/dust/weeds. :)

rattfink
    That is hot! Nice choices on everything. I really like the LRP action.

Basic Member
    very nice looking rifle there. Let us know how that bad boy shoots.

Daaaaaaaaaang! that's nice makes me wanna build one
    300WSM 26" 1:10 Med. Hvy. Varmit McRee Precision

stangfish
    Nice rifle. You could always retime the brake and get the ports where they belong. You might get lucky swapping bolt heads...if you have a few laying around.
    Last edited by stangfish; 08-24-2013 at 06:58 AM.

223 4 me
    Congrats on a job Well Done! I love it...

Basic Member
    Took it out to the range this morning to test basic functionality and get an approx zero. I had a mixture of leftover rounds I had made for the Savage LRP. Functionally the rifle performed flawlessly. Accuracy wise it was not great after I got it basically zeroed. I think my 'standard' SMK 142 load was setting the bullet out too far for the new rifle because they were very tight to get chambered. Whereas the SMK 140 rounds chambered very easily.

Now it's time to time the muzzle brake properly and make some rounds to start load testing.

When I first got to the rifle range this morning I though I was on the set of Duck Dynasty.... :)

Edit: Forgot to mention that the rifle was incredibly comfortable (perfect?) to sit behind on the bench. Hopefully it's that comfortable when I go prone with it.

Last edited by Onewolf; 08-24-2013 at 11:54 AM.

paperkite
    Have you thought about a barrell tuner for it ? Though at those distances it may be moot .. and the brake maybe all you need but you never know until you put a ton of lead through it . Anyway keep us posted !

stangfish
    You know. I never have seen a barrel tuner at any long range F/class competitions. Do they work?

paperkite
    check out this article :http://www.benchrestspecialties.com/barrel_tuners.htm
    and rim fire info here : http://www.varmintal.com/a22lr.htm
    video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhRIebOY4Jk
    video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEBMlfhlxYg this one will give you a look at the barrel flex towards the end ...
    see also here for 6mmbr :http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=808222

one of the fellows on another forum for rim fire tried heat shrink tubing to calm down the barrel and he picked up an 1/8 of an inch at 100 yds. I have heat shrink on both my varmint rifle 22 Hn Savage 340e and my target Savage BTVSS 22 LR. When I first started with sub sonic on the 22LR I was getting .8- 1.0 inch groups and now get .6- .8 grps at 50 yds and .7 to .9 in groups at 100 . Although not throughly consistant yet I am working on getting better now that the 22 LR supply has calmed down a bit . on the Savage 340e I consistantly shoot a 1/4 tighter groups using my hand load on either Lil Gun or 4198 and now looking at Varget to see if I can get this down even tighter . This is at 100 yrds and I get 2 inch group at 200 yrds , where before it was more like 3-4 inch groups .... There are a few you tube vids that show the shaking a rifle and scope go thru and it is amazing that much movement takes place ... it is no wonder the bullets go soaring off into the wild blue sometimes ... about like the " Big Units" high fast ball a few years back ...
    Last edited by paperkite; 08-25-2013 at 06:25 PM.

stangfish
    Oh, in 22LR i have seen it a BUNCH.
    As for centerfire long range, I just don't see it. Ever.

Look at these rifles or do a search.
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...8-22&sp=-1&sk=
    Look real close at those vids where the whole gun is shakinging and the barrel is flexing. The bullet is gone gone. There is a vibration node ahead of the bullet but it is very small in amplitude compared to what you visably see.
    Last edited by stangfish; 08-25-2013 at 06:53 PM.

paperkite
    a quote from 2006 from Accurateshootersforum.
    Seems some of these guys use tuners in F class and work well for them .

"Hi i have 2 Stillar tuners and in F Class Open here in Australia i just shot a 100 at 300 yards, 99 at 500 yards and 98 at 600 yards the tuners do work verry well. oh the rifle was a 6mm Dasher 297 out of 300 won the day. I also have one on a 284 they are awsome i can dial a group from under .5" at 300 yards to ofer 2" by turning the tuner. I have developed a similar design to utilise the 1 1/2" cut of a new barrel with 4 weights to cater for different bisciplines. Ger a Stillar tuner before they all get sold out as Jerry told me when they are all gone there will be no more.

Cheers Bill
    Australia

Pete K.

dirt/dust/weeds

Quote Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
    The problem with the current muzzle brake position is that it has ports facing downward which will be problematical when shooting prone from the dry cow/scrub pasture we call our 'long range'. "Bang" = big cloud of dirt/dust/weeds. :)
    How about a nice shooting mat or something just heavy enough not to blow away? Carpeted car mat? Something easy enough to carry around. Carpeted car mat with a nylon rope carry handle through two drilled holes with knots at the ends??? Just thinking here that's all. You could put a spoting scope on it with ammo etc.

Pete K.

Basic Member
    I used a SS crush washer to time the muzzle brake properly. It's not as 'pretty', but it's functional. I'll probably take the muzzle brake off anyway once the thread cap is delivered. Somehow the thread cap on the barrel order 'got lost' when the barrel was made. McGowen is currently working on the thread cap that was specified when the barrel was ordered. The only reason I got the muzzle brake was because I wanted the barrel to be threaded for when I get a suppressor and I figured I would go ahead and get the muzzle brake just to play with.

BTW, I've had it at the range twice now but I haven't started any real load development. I'm just using a slightly detuned powder load than I had developed with the Savage LRP. I have learned that I have to set back the shoulders on the Lapua fired brass a little farther with this rifle than the LRP. Initially I was getting 2/3 rounds touching and then the 3rd/4th would be an inch or so off. However the last group I shot this afternoon was a 9 shot group under 1" at 100 yards.

The Manners T5 stock is so much easier for me to get comfortable compared to the 'stock' Savage HS stock on the LRP.
    Last edited by Onewolf; 08-29-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Basic Member
    We have a long range practice/qualification session scheduled for Saturday morning so I will have a chance to see how the rifle does out to 1000 yds. I'm psyched!

paperkite
    Quote Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
    We have a long range practice/qualification session scheduled for Saturday morning so I will have a chance to see how the rifle does out to 1000 yds. I'm psyched!
    Good luck on Sat. Let us know how it goes ...

Basic Member
    I love that stock, very nice looking rig.

Basic Member
    I qualified out to 1000 yards this morning, but it was not pretty. The new gun does not have the consistent precision of my LRP 260 but I have done ZERO load testing with the new gun yet. I'm sure with some load development and action bedding/etc it will eventually shoot as well as the LRP.

This was the first long range practice where someone brought a 50BMG. It's a beast and no fun to be set up next to on the shooting line:

After the long range practice I took the LRP to the 100yd range to zero it and it shot LIGHTS OUT. After zeroing I shot this 7 shot group (0.470") at 100 yds.

Guys shooting boomers (300WMs and larger) with brakes should have to go to either end of the firing line, that way they're only dusting one poor soul.

Nice shooting rifle, BTW.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    Guys shooting boomers (300WMs and larger) with brakes should have to go to either end of the firing line, that way they're only dusting one poor soul.

Nice shooting rifle, BTW.
    I agree on both counts.

paperkite
    Range stand looks to be bare minimums for prone shooters , side curtains or moveable stand curtans should be avail at range to capture flying shells and errant gases with pistol at one side end and large bore at the oppsite end. I have been hit in the face with pistol shooters cases in the middle of the line while I was trying to BR, a good range saftey man will arrange shooters to prevent this, one would think .... Shots look good !

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paperkite View Post
    Range stand looks to be bare minimums for prone shooters , side curtains or moveable stand curtans should be avail at range to capture flying shells and errant gases with pistol at one side end and large bore at the oppsite end. I have been hit in the face with pistol shooters cases in the middle of the line while I was trying to BR, a good range saftey man will arrange shooters to prevent this, one would think .... Shots look good !
    The short video was shot on the 1000yd platform on the LONG RANGE range (ie, not the club's normal rifle or pistol ranges). On the LONG RANGE range we have platforms at 600 and 1000 yards and at intermediate distances we shoot either on the ground or out of pickup truck beds depending upon general cow pasture swampiness and weed height. On the platforms we try to put the bolt shooters on the left and semi autos on the right. I always try to setup on the far left so I only have a single shooter next to me (on my right).

paperkite
    That makes sense. I wish we had a longer range here .. just as well I suppose , other wise my annual budget would get used buying a long range rifle ..and walking 1000 yrds to set a target would play havoc with my pacemaker ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast