Why? Almost one year ago I got interested in long range precision/match shooting and since I had _no_ rifle experience I chose to purchase a Savage LRP 260 because it seemed like it would be a great rifle to learn the basics of long range shooting with. After shooting it a bunch with the local long range club (500-1000 yards) and learning how to do my own ammo load development I decided it was time to start theorizing about building a rifle for my specific requirements. For instance the LRP 260 is great for shooting prone, but no so great (not balanced) for shooting off-hand as we often do in our local club matches.

Components:

• Savage Target Repeater Action (from donor rifle I bought from Jim/Northland)
  • SS barrel nut and lug from Northland
  • McGowen SS Shilen LV7 profile barrel, 1:8 twist, 24" + muzzle brake
  • Manners MCS-T5 (dead flat black) stock
  • Harris S-BRM 6-9" bipod
  • EGW 20MOA HD scope mount
  • Burris Extreme Tactical 30mm low rings
  • SWFA 12x42 mil-quad scope
  • SSS 9 rd mags

I just put it together this afternoon. As expected I am going to need to adjust/time the muzzle brake to get the (side) ports situated properly. I just hate to loosen the muzzle brake for the first time which will expose the seam with the barrel. :)

I hope to shoot it this weekend at the 'short' 300m range.

Thanks for all the advice I received on this site (both direct questions and background research).