Thread: 270wsm

VLP.204

270wsm

Right now I have a Savage Model 16ss in 308. Im looking for a rifle that has more power and is better suited for elk but don't want to get into too heavy recoiling rounds. Right now, my 308 load is a Barnes 150gr. TTSX @ about 2800 FPS (I think but may be a little less) Is the 270WSM a good choice? Is it a logical step in the right direction? If not, any recomdations? I reload so as long as I can get brass, Im good to go.
    Thanks

358Hammer

Re: 270WSM

In my experienced opinion the 270WSM is fine when one is presented with a perfect shot. I would opt of the 300WSM and 180's for those less than perfect quartering away shots.

I use to hunt with a 270 Winchester for years and it did a wonderful job when I chose my shots. When I shot a spooked elk at fifty yards and then tracked the animal 1 mile before claiming it I went to a 300 Win Mag.

Neal

brianinca

You won't get less recoil out of full boogie 270 WSM than 308. Lots of elk killed with .277 bullets, but you're looking at a round that's going to have more felt recoil than a 308. A lot more powder in the same bullet weight, combined with with a smaller diameter bullet is going to give you a bigger bump on the shoulder. At least case capacity with the Barnes isn't an issue, I had to settle the powder in 308 for my Barnes reloads. No problems with 270 WSM, 3006 or 300 WM, of course.

The 300 WSM is slightly less recoil than a 300 WM since you're getting more efficiency out of the design (same velocity, less powder = more efficient). I really like the WSM's, but if you might want to go the other way and look at the 338 RCM for elk. I'm assuming you're reloading, of course, but a bigger diameter bullet of the same weight is going to have less recoil at a given MV. The RCM will fit your current action length, assuming you want to keep the same rifle. I don't know about case capacity issues with the Barnes, but the RCM's have a big honkin' case so you should be OK. I guess 325 WSM would also be an option.

Regards,
    Brian in CA

300 WSM with 180 grain bullets. Recoil? whats that? I've never noticed it when hunting regardless of the rifle.

Now bench shooting is a different ball of wax.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

EZbigfella

Quote Originally Posted by EFBell
    300 WSM with 180 grain bullets. Recoil? whats that? I've never noticed it when hunting regardless of the rifle.

Now bench shooting is a different ball of wax.
    x2................. Dont notice any of my big magnums when used on game, even the .375 ouch and ouch goes un noticed when a big buck or bull elk is about to get away

FatherOfGnute

The 7mm Rem Mag seems pretty popular in the elk country of CO and WY...

I've always found the recoil to be pretty manageable.

BillyBadBass

I currently have a 270wsm, and am in the process of going the other way. You said something about not too much recoil. To me the 6.5x284 is a good alternative. Less recoil, and better ballistics at long distance. It will allow me to practice longer and more often due to the less recoil. In the end shot placement is what matters most anyways. In the end I am more confident in the 140 vld in the 6.5 than I am in the 140 vld for the 270. Much beter SD and BC, just a thought. Go to berger and plug the numbers in you might be suprised.

Team Savage

7mm WSM or magnum something or another over a 270 would be my choice, but as above you wont have much less felt recoil.
    You will have better ballistics than a 300 magnum with the same SD bullet.

With the overbore magnums its more the velocity of the recoil that gets you.

Just plan on getting a duramax stock and dont look back.
    Weight it down to about 12# and use a past pad at the range and dont lean into it.

Sit more upright.

If it is still an issue borrow your buddies 458 win mag and run about 10 500 grainers through it prior to
    shooting the 7mm/270 WSM.

Tracer

I understand about recoil but the .308 can take elk as long as you have the proper bullet! Now I myself shine with the .338 Win mag but that does have a bit more recoil than most .270 shooters want to handle. I personally think the 7mm mag would do you more justice in a rifle for hunting elk or mule deer. This caliber will kick no more than a heavy .270WSM rifle and you can shoot heavier bullets per animal. I mean the 160 grain or 175 grn bullet, which is better suited for the elk, moose etc.