Thread: Rifle for hunter class NRA Silhouette

Rifle for hunter class NRA Silhouette

Recently I shot my first small bore silhouette match. I had a great time. They shoot high power first and I have a 5 hour commute to shoot. I'm thinking shooting high power and small bore would make the drive worth while.

What Savage rifle and cartridge should I consider? At the moment I'm thinking 7mm-08 is the cartridge but I'm open to suggestions. I'll have more questions I'm sure.

Thanks

Basic Member
    A lot of people knock the .308, but from all my research it seems there are a lot more ammo options and more availability than other rounds in the same class.
    If you are reloading and have the supplies available to do so then I would definitely go to a round with a higher BC than the standard .308 match bullet. I did highly considered the .260 as well though. These days it appears to be all about what's available to you.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    first you have to decide if you are shooting hunting or standard class. that'll narrow down what savage model to get. rule of thumb for hunting rifle - sporter barrel and stock, -8.5lbs, +2lb trigger, with standard a bull barrel, -10.5 lbs, any trigger pull that's safe.

you can check out the NRA rules to be sure before you buy.

depending on your build and stamina wood or synthetic is up to you, keep in mind it's 40 rounds off hand, weight of the rifle and recoil on top of it is something to consider too.

you shouldn't have a problem with .308, .260, or 7mm08, though .243 is a little light to knock over rams consistantly, depending on the bases they are using for the target.
    a craftsman can't realize his full potential, without finding the potential of the tools he uses....

JCalhoun
    I wish there were some HP silhouette matches around here.

Basic Member
    Man I shot a ram silhouette at the range I was at with my 308 axis at 545yds and that thing went flipping off the stand. Guy said they weighed in at about 50lbs.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Man I shot a ram silhouette at the range I was at with my 308 axis at 545yds and that thing went flipping off the stand. Guy said they weighed in at about 50lbs.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
    That had to have been gratifying.

Right now I'm shooting small bore hunter class. I set a goal of achieving AA class before I buy a center fire rifle for this. I'm thinking hunter class for big bore is what I want to shoot then.

Tarleton_Texan
    Why not go with a 6br? It seems to do everything quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarleton_Texan View Post
    Why not go with a 6br? It seems to do everything quite well.
    I hear it is a bit weak on the rams but I'm keeping an open mind. I'm trying to balance operating costs and effectiveness. I have time, I have a feeling I'm a year away from having to make up my mind.

Szumi

Basic Member
    I'm a 6br fan also, But if you want a reasonable accurate gun go with the fcp in .308 pretty much ready to go out of the box.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!