Thread: Adding another Model 25 to the mix

Basic Member

Adding another Model 25 to the mix

Well I went in to Dicks Sporting Goods today and gave them a list of guns to see if they can acquire.

A CZ 22H ~ Nope
    A Henry H001V Varmint Express ~ Nope
    Savage 19140 M25 22H Laminate~ Nope
    Savage 19141 M25 22H Laminate ~ YES!
    Savage 18466 M12 VLP DBM ~ YES!

If I could afford both I would get both because I want another 204 also.

So, as soon as the 22H is ordered I am going to order 2 EGW scope base rails, one for the .204 and one for the 22H because my 17 Hornet had an issue and the rail took care of it. My 204 had an issue with shooting way super high.

Now the only next decision is what to scope it with. I removed the BSA MilDOT 6-24x40AO/IR from the M40 Hornet yesterday because it sold over eBay and I installed a Barska 8-32x50AO Target DoT "Excavator" which I would have no issues buying another one. Barska has been good to me. They also have that scope in a range finding reticle and they just released it in MilDOT also.

On my M25 Lightweight Varminter .204 I have a Simmons 44 Mag 6-24x44 SF. I do not like this scope, I don't hate it, but I am not happy with the purchase. The scope is OK but some of the things I don't like are the posts for the MilDot reticle and grossly thick. The optics are clear enough but I can't seem to get a crisp focus at further distances especially when I am cranking up the power. The side focus helps but it is never honestly as crisp as most of my Barska Varmint series. Lastly the variable power ring turns backwards of every other variable scope I have owned. When I am using it hunting I don't notice the clarity issue as much. Last week though I was looking as a used Barska Tactical 10-40x40SF and you could honestly see a flea taking a dump on a woodchuck with that thing, if you were so inclined.

I have been thnking about th eRedfield Revenge series or a Nikon. Problem is I want at least a 6-18, would prefer a 6-24 scope. Most of the time while shooting my 40 Hornet in the field I am set at 12-14x.

When hunting with the B.Mag I vary between 8-12 on my 4-16 scope. I have a 6-24 going on it soon.

So, if anyone has a favorite scope they want to run by me or if they have a suggestion to check out, let me know. I might just use that 6-24 Barska for the B.Mag until I decide on something else OR I could take the 6-24x50AO Barska off the 17 Hornet and add something else to it.

I swear this is "Scope Swap Summer"
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

Hmm... so many problems...

As far as the scope goes... the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 may fit the bill...

They're nice wee things and yhou should have a peep through one to check it out.. always nice to have a Reticle that can be tuned to the ammo via the "Spot on" Programme.

I have had one on my .223 for a wee while.. reticle is not too thick and the glass is good for the cash... Side focus.. blah blah... have a look is what I am saying..

If you are gonna be staying at 14X the new prostaff models look nice.. there is a 3.5-14x50 and that will no doubt be very clear right to the edges with the 50mm objective and it will be great with low light.

Just bought a Sightron Myself for some long range fun and they have some nice scopes in the lower power range.. worth checking out your options by looking through them if possible.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    Hmm... so many problems...

As far as the scope goes... the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 may fit the bill...

They're nice wee things and yhou should have a peep through one to check it out.. always nice to have a Reticle that can be tuned to the ammo via the "Spot on" Programme.

I have had one on my .223 for a wee while.. reticle is not too thick and the glass is good for the cash... Side focus.. blah blah... have a look is what I am saying..

If you are gonna be staying at 14X the new prostaff models look nice.. there is a 3.5-14x50 and that will no doubt be very clear right to the edges with the 50mm objective and it will be great with low light.

Just bought a Sightron Myself for some long range fun and they have some nice scopes in the lower power range.. worth checking out your options by looking through them if possible.
    I thought about the BuckMaster but I am not totally decided yet. I do like the Barska 8-32x50AO Excavator Target Dot I put on my Savage 40 Hornet. It is very clear on up to 28x.

I might consider another one of those. They have a new model in that range with Mil Dot. I haven't hunted yet with target dot but for the normal range of the 22H I don't think it will be an issue.

The rifle should be here no later than Friday.

Basic Member
    Well I got a call this afternoon. John said my Model 25 was in. I had been wondering but not worried. Its not like it is my only rifle.

so I have prepared myself because after talking with Andrew in Savage customer service all the M25's since January 2013 are coming out with the same satin finish as the walking varminter, B.Mag, 11VT etc. Not the slick high gloss that my 40 and 2 other 25's have. I was OK with that as I figured with 2 M25 thumb holes in the safe I could easily tell which Hornet is which. High gloss is the 17H, satin the 22H.

Well...guess what? Its a hi gloss! BONUS.

Pics this weekend.

I opened the box and guess what

Basic Member
    I have had this thing for over a month and still have not set it up and fired it. Someone remind me in a week or so to make sure I fire it before the weather gets cold, cold. Squirrel season is coming and I am experiencing tunnel vision. I just ordered parts for my pet project squirrel rifle.

Slimey, I bought a Nikon for one of my Henry levers, the squirrel rifle project. I have deviated from the normal scope I use on them to the Nikon rim fire. I had lanned on buying 2 but they only had one :-( I was thinking of putting it on my Mark II G.

I have a Weaver V24 with the .223 reticle on mine. Crosshairs a little thick but not too bad.

Natchez has V24 on sale with a Ballistic-X reticle which is thinner.
    My 25 is not matte but then again it does not look like a Python from the 70's either.

Rich

Basic Member
    Thanks Rich. I think I might move the Simmons 44mag 6-24x44SF over to the M25 Hornet or onto my new Mark II 22LR. I do not care for that scope and would not recommend it. Every time I fire it I have to adjust the quick focus and when shooting at 100yd no matter what I do I can never get a crisp view of the target. I don't mind so much when I am scoping out woodchucks at 2-300 yards because they are clear enough to see and shoot. I don't care if I see their fleas but I would like to clearly see the holes in the target at 100yd. My Barska 8-32x50 is excellent up to 28x. Your scope looks pretty nice. I hate mail ordering scopes but so far after 8 Barska scopes, 2 of which I bought local I have been satisfied. Mueller is a good option too. Maybe I will get something together this week and at least see how that Hornet stings.

Basic Member
    Well, I managed to install the EGW base on the rifle last month and that is as far as I have gotten. I'll shoot it some day.