Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel install

Basic Member

Barrel install

Guys I have a Stevens 308 action I just removed the factory sporter from. I bought a used heavy 308 barrel and was ready to begain my first barrel swap. I started screwing the heavy barrel into the action by hand and got about 1/4 of threads into action and then it stopped. I can no longer screw barrel into action by hand. Is something wrong or does this take a little force? Any thought or tip to get be started will be very helpful.

Thanks

Check to make sure there are no scope mount screws protruding into the barrel threads in the receiver.

stangfish
    Remove the barrel and and clean the inside and outside threads. Look to see if the front scope mount screw is protruding into the threads. Remove and shorten if needed. Using some lubricant try to thread the barrel in again. If it is still tight Measure the threads. If they are over 1.055 take some fine emery and lightly sand the top of the barrel threads. Clean the sanding grit and debris. Try once again and report back.

Edit: Apache beat me to it.

Basic Member
    There is no scope mount on action. Took it off thinking it might be a screw. I will clean action in morning and get back with y'all tomorrow

Nandy
    If your barrel nut goes in and out fine then it has to be something in the action. Clean it good.

Basic Member
    Another thought, how far will the barrel screw into action before you get to the point to start checking headspace? Will all the threads of barrel be in action?

Basic Member
    Once it's far enough in the the go gauge will reach the barrel. I went to far and had a dilemma with the barrel being to tight in the action or the barrel nut being to tight on the barrel to tighten down to the action. I had to pull the whole thing apart spend some time cleaning the threads again and start over with the new lesson learned. It went together in a few minutes on the second attempt where I spent most of the day on the first go at it.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    I will clean action and play some more. My gauges have not come in yet so I was using a piece of brass to get close, but can not get barrel to screw in far enough to fill the brass

Basic Member
    Cleaned both actions. No luck on either one. It will screw in farther on one the the other but neither one far enough to set headspace. I am screwing them in by hand only.

Any thoughts

Basic Member
    I had best luck mounting the barrel in a bench vise between to boards to avoid scratches and turning the action on with and action wrench. Otherwise I could create enough torque.

Nandy
    hmmm, I would not force it too much at this time. Do you have any problem with the barrel nut? Is that barrel nut new? You should have no problem screwing it by hands, actually, that is he only way I would do it when headspacing. I wont want to torque that barrel on the gauge. If you remove the gauge when the barrel get tight, what happens?

Basic Member
    The barrel hasn't threaded far enough I the action for the op to start headspacing.

The action wrench provided me just enough additional torque to continue threading the barrel into to action. I did not force it in if it was caught up I backed up and tried adding some oil or backed off completely and further cleaned the threads with a wire brush and a small amount of acetone and added a few drops of clean oil before starting again until it finally threaded to where I could start headspacing.

The oil I used was Gatco honing oil for sharpening stones. It's very thin and soaks in quickly. Also is clear and makes it easy to see what is going on.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Basic Member
    I have not put the barrel nut on. I was just playing to see what it was going to look like and when it would not thread in I knew I had a problem

Nandy
    try the nut, see if you have the same problem. If it is a good nut then it will tell you if you have a barrel problem. where are you located about bigred94? if you are close to charlotte nc maybe I can help you. Im not expert but I have mount/swapped my share of barrels.

Basic Member
    I'am in Alabama

Basic Member
    You guys that have done barrel swaps, is the barrel suppose to thread on freely? Just thinking if it is very tight how do you fill the gauges or brass to set headspace?

Basic Member
    It should thread freely. I can turn by hand up to the gauge then stop and tighten nut. If the threads are clean and unbstructed and still won't thread on then the threads are the wrong pitch.

Nandy
    Barrel should turn freely. The gauges are steel so once you got it tight against the go gauge the barrel just won't turn and then when you use the no go the bolt won't close so I would stop at the first sign and swap gauges.
    However, i would be worried I am damaging the threads. I might have missed it but did you try the barrel nut on that barrel?

Basic Member
    Rereading this entire thread this morning I was wondering if we confirmed that you have the proper shanked barrel. I would assume the Stevens is a short action and requires the small shank which has a diameter of 1.055.

Someone please correct me if I am incorrect on the diameter. Also what brand is the used barrel and if possible what did it come off of?

Basic Member
    Er shaw barrel. Small shank Stevens 200 action. The nuts are in the mail somewhere
    Last edited by bigred94; 08-23-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Basic Member
    If i am reading this correctly you just took a barrel off this action. Where is the nut that was on that barrel? Try threading that nut on the new barrel. If it won't go odds are something is wrong with the barrel.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    It was a new smooth nut. I sold it with the barrel so I can replace it with old style

If you are using action wrench, remove it & try screwing action & barrel together they should go together without use of tools. Check barrel threads for burrs or bent threads. Threads can be cleaned up with small triangle file. screw action & barrel together till they stop, mark were threads stop, remove barrel, clean with file, repeat till they go together. It has been advised to clean thread of receiver, be sure they are clean.

Nandy
    Whatever you do be careful. You don't want to mess the threads. I would wait for the barrel nut but I put my money that the problem is in the receiver. I would be surprise a McGowen barrel was threaded improperly. You might have to visit a smith if only to have him look at it. Messing up the receiver or barrel threads will cost you more. Good luck, wish you were closer so I could help better.

barthowes
    I did a 116 with a new er shaw barrel. couldn't screw it in. was too tight. I had read here and finally noticed myself that the threads were "sharp" or basically too tall. all i had to do was lightly sand the barrel threads by hand until it freely screwed into the action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast